Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-11-2009, 09:33 PM

Default Re: just updated to vista, now pro tools does not work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastermouse View Post
Listen Man, I agree with you that PT le should do a lot of things that it doesn't and does too many things that it doesn't need to. But, it it what it is and you have to run it the way Digi says to or you are in for a nightmare. Run the program on a Digi approved system and maybe Digi will help you if you need it and you ask in the perfect way ( have your cc # ready) . Run it on on anything else and you are screwed.
Or very lucky.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-12-2009, 03:58 AM

yea in my mind having a whole diff partition on another drive just pro tools shoulda improved performance if anything, but, i digress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
on the AA talk if you need links for settin' up dual boot Vista/XP lemme know. couple a real good links that helped with the bootloader thingy. i got W7x64 RC1/Vista/XP Pro (x2) all on my laptop. not runnin' PTLE on any but other DAW software. runnin' PTLE on my Q6600, no probs, triple boot XP
yea i would actually appreciate that really much, i do want to try w7, and i havnt ever setup dual boot, let alone tri boot, so that would be a tremendous help.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch Drunk View Post
microsoft has always had a way of having their newest os be full of bugs and compatibility issues upon release, and not becoming even near stable until some service packs and years later. remember win 95? 2000?...
Yes, unfortunately that's how they got to the market first and gained a dominant role, and that habit never changed.

From what I heard, vista was a long time coming with much turmoil in the management and execution of the project--with some indications that their code base may have gotten too large for them to manage anymore. I heard they shut down the project once for a couple of months just to figure out what they were doing wrong and might have started from scratch again. But who knows, talk is talk...

I got a free vista enterprise at a microsoft product kickoff and tried it. Within an hour I had a problem playing movie dvds and couldn't fix it, so I went back. In any case, the windows 7 is the one folks are really thinking might be a good move when it is released this fall.

If it works for you, great. Its all about a good software experience. Personally, just upgraded my mobo and it can't recognize some usb devices, so the fun never really ends.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
Yes, unfortunately that's how they got to the market first and gained a dominant role, and that habit never changed.

From what I heard, vista was a long time coming with much turmoil in the management and execution of the project--with some indications that their code base may have gotten too large for them to manage anymore. I heard they shut down the project once for a couple of months just to figure out what they were doing wrong and might have started from scratch again. But who knows, talk is talk...

I got a free vista enterprise at a microsoft product kickoff and tried it. Within an hour I had a problem playing movie dvds and couldn't fix it, so I went back. In any case, the windows 7 is the one folks are really thinking might be a good move when it is released this fall.

If it works for you, great. Its all about a good software experience. Personally, just upgraded my mobo and it can't recognize some usb devices, so the fun never really ends.
yea 3 years ago when i got my mobo it was 64bit ready and vista ready, i havnt really had any problems software or hardware-wise until pro tools, which is what frustrated me the most. i logged off of my computer the other day after updating it to the most recent packs and setting virtually all of my other programs up and getting htem the way i want, leaving pro tools for last, thinking it would go well since everything else was running so great. such a dissapointment.

i do remember alot of horror stories from vista when it first came out though, i avoided it like the plague, but i think all the kinks are finally worked out now, which is right before w7 comes out, right on cue with how microsoft usually does
Old 06-12-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
yea in my mind having a whole diff partition on another drive just pro tools shoulda improved performance if anything, but, i digress.

yea i would actually appreciate that really much, i do want to try w7, and i havnt ever setup dual boot, let alone tri boot, so that would be a tremendous help.
here ya go. and remember to approach W7 like Vista regardin' the bootloader (if you install W7).

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_v...step_guide.htm

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vi...creenshots.htm

and definitely use the EASYBCD tool. it'll make life much easier when managin' the bootloader. much luck with your new config

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 06-12-2009, 09:52 AM

i didn't see an answer to tom@metro... do you have ie8 installed?

http://digidesign.custhelp.com/cgi-b...p?p_faqid=8386
Old 06-12-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
yea 3 years ago when i got my mobo it was 64bit ready and vista ready, i havnt really had any problems software or hardware-wise until pro tools, which is what frustrated me the most...
Pro tools does seem like its quite fragile regarding the environment it runs in, and avid seems unable to update it at the speed the marketplace demands. It is a concern to me as well.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
here ya go. and remember to approach W7 like Vista regardin' the bootloader (if you install W7).

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_v...step_guide.htm

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vi...creenshots.htm

and definitely use the EASYBCD tool. it'll make life much easier when managin' the bootloader. much luck with your new config
i used this guide, and checked a few others out, they all pretty much said the same thing, make another partition, boot with the xp cd, and install on new partition. reboot with vista cd, fix mbr, and use easy boot cd to make dual boot.

i followed that verbatum, except when i went to install xp, it didnt find all my partitions..and the ones it did, it was reporting at 130gb not 117 and the actual sizes..and when i would choose, e for example, it would say "are you sure you want to install on drive c?". that kinda scared the [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] outta me, and i decided i would jus cancel the process and install it on a fresh drive to avoid corruption, but apparent just from windows checking my disc, and me hitting "cancel" that [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ed up the mbr, and the hard drive itself. i cant boot into vista, xp doesnt exist, and now, the hard drive comes up as unformatted.

worst luck. only thing good out of this situaton is i replaced that slow drive with a 7200rpm 32mb cache one now, i had to, to install vista, again. now i just have to get a ubuntu disc or somthing to try to recover the data off the original drive, and install xp on a seperate dirve this time.

this is exactly why i really wish pro tools just worked with vista without a hitch in the first place, now ive spent another $150 on a hdd, possibly lost data, and have to reinstall os's again

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonehenge View Post
i didn't see an answer to tom@metro... do you have ie8 installed?

http://digidesign.custhelp.com/cgi-b...p?p_faqid=8386
i said it a few times, its probly lost in between the ranting. i did install ie8, however, i went to the updates section, and was able to remove it from service pack 2, i got worse issues after removal though.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
i used this guide, and checked a few others out, they all pretty much said the same thing, make another partition, boot with the xp cd, and install on new partition. reboot with vista cd, fix mbr, and use easy boot cd to make dual boot.

i followed that verbatum, except when i went to install xp, it didnt find all my partitions..and the ones it did, it was reporting at 130gb not 117 and the actual sizes..and when i would choose, e for example, it would say "are you sure you want to install on drive c?". that kinda scared the [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] outta me, and i decided i would jus cancel the process and install it on a fresh drive to avoid corruption, but apparent just from windows checking my disc, and me hitting "cancel" that [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ed up the mbr, and the hard drive itself. i cant boot into vista, xp doesnt exist, and now, the hard drive comes up as unformatted.

worst luck. only thing good out of this situaton is i replaced that slow drive with a 7200rpm 32mb cache one now, i had to, to install vista, again. now i just have to get a ubuntu disc or somthing to try to recover the data off the original drive, and install xp on a seperate dirve this time.

this is exactly why i really wish pro tools just worked with vista without a hitch in the first place, now ive spent another $150 on a hdd, possibly lost data, and have to reinstall os's again

i said it a few times, its probly lost in between the ranting. i did install ie8, however, i went to the updates section, and was able to remove it from service pack 2, i got worse issues after removal though.
dag man. sorry to hear of the new issues. all i can say is, we've all been there...in regards to providin' our own tech support. the good thing is the lessons you'll take from this will definitely help you down the road. i know that doesn't make things better now but like i said, we all have been exactly where you are now. good luck in gettin' up and runnin' again

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 06-13-2009, 11:57 AM

yea i got vista reinstalled and up to where i had the last install at on the new faster hdd now, im wondering if i should emluate xp instead of trying to dual boot this time, or if i do dual boot, install it on a completely serpate drive with the vista drive temporarily disconnected. i dont know if pt will run on an emulator though, with how touchy it is