Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 05-30-2013, 12:36 PM

Default MIDI problem: multiple track sounds, but same notes

Hey everyone, having a little issue.

I'm recording multiple MIDI tracks on Pro Tools 10 using a Yamaha Motif XF8 as my synthesizer. I've had MIDI problems before but always seem to figure out a simple enough answer, but this one has me puzzled.

I'm recording 5 MIDI tracks at once, all different sounds.
1 is piano
2 is harp
3 is cello
4 is bass
5 is acoustic guitar

I'm using all the sounds from my Motif XF8 and recording with no problem all the separate sounds into Pro Tools via 5 different channels. So my channel 1 on the keyboard is linked to channel 1 on pro tools output, so on and so forth.

When I record, playing five tracks at once, pro tools is recognizing that 5 different sounds are being played, which is good; however, pro tools is only writing the MIDI notes for the first track, the piano, channel 1, but to channels 2,3,4 and 5 it is picking up the different instruments but writing their sounds to the notes of only the first instrument.

So what I need to know is how do I have it set up to where when I am recording to MIDI on pro tools from already recorded songs on the Motif XF8, how can I have it to where my 5 different sounds from the keyboard are simultaneously recorded into pro tools under 5 different MIDI tracks with different channels? If you need further clarification of my question then just ask, I'll try to explain better. Thank you so much.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:29 AM

Default Re: MIDI problem: multiple track sounds, but same notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunorchestra View Post
....however, pro tools is only writing the MIDI notes for the first track, the piano, channel 1, but to channels 2,3,4 and 5 it is picking up the different instruments but writing their sounds to the notes of only the first instrument.

So what I need to know is how do I have it set up to where when I am recording to MIDI on pro tools from already recorded songs....

I'm no expert with MIDI but since you're not getting any responses, a little clarification might be a good starting point. It sounds like you want to "render" the MIDI tracks in PT? That is, you want to turn the MIDI tracks on your Motif into separate audio tracks in Pro Tools? You said a couple times PT is "writing" or "recording" MIDI. But if I'm understanding correctly, you're not trying to get any MIDI information into PT - just the audio.

Or perhaps I'm guessing wrong, and you are trying to get the MIDI tracks into PT so you can trigger sounds from PT.

Also, you said "So my channel 1 on the keyboard is linked to channel 1 on pro tools output, so on and so forth." I'm assuming you mean pro tools input, correct?

I don't know if I'm the guy to solve this for you, but if you clarify the issue, it might help someone else to steer you the right direction.

http://www.weddingmusicproject.com/
http://www.weddingmusicproject.com/w...music-samples/
http://stevemillikan.com/

Old 06-05-2013, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunorchestra View Post
Hey everyone, having a little issue.

I'm recording multiple MIDI tracks on Pro Tools 10 using a Yamaha Motif XF8 as my synthesizer. I've had MIDI problems before but always seem to figure out a simple enough answer, but this one has me puzzled.

I'm recording 5 MIDI tracks at once, all different sounds.
1 is piano
2 is harp
3 is cello
4 is bass
5 is acoustic guitar

I'm using all the sounds from my Motif XF8 and recording with no problem all the separate sounds into Pro Tools via 5 different channels. So my channel 1 on the keyboard is linked to channel 1 on pro tools output, so on and so forth.

When I record, playing five tracks at once, pro tools is recognizing that 5 different sounds are being played, which is good; however, pro tools is only writing the MIDI notes for the first track, the piano, channel 1, but to channels 2,3,4 and 5 it is picking up the different instruments but writing their sounds to the notes of only the first instrument.

So what I need to know is how do I have it set up to where when I am recording to MIDI on pro tools from already recorded songs on the Motif XF8, how can I have it to where my 5 different sounds from the keyboard are simultaneously recorded into pro tools under 5 different MIDI tracks with different channels? If you need further clarification of my question then just ask, I'll try to explain better. Thank you so much.
I'm confused, and I think you are as well.
When you say 'when I record playing 5 tracks at once Pro Tools is recognizing that 5 different sounds are being played' where exactly are you recording - into Pro Tools or the Motif's internal recorder/sequencer? You can't send 5 different MIDI tracks at once to PT from one keyboard, even with keyboard splits although you could record the same MIDI stream to 5 MIDI tracks at once in PT but then all the sounds would be playing the same notes.

I don't think the XF8 can send MIDI out from tracks already recorded into it to PT - at least my original Motif 7 can't. And as far as splitting 5 audio tracks from a recorded piece in the Motif into 5 separate audio tracks - you'd have to dig into the Motif documentation for that.

Also some of your confusion stems from the fact that you seem to think MIDI is audio and it's not - it's digital signals that tell a sound source to play certain notes for a certain length of time.

We also need to know exactly how you have things connected between the Motif and your PT computer for both MIDI and audio, for example.

QAPLA!
Old 06-05-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post

I don't think the XF8 can send MIDI out from tracks already recorded into it to PT - at least my original Motif 7 can't. And as far as splitting 5 audio tracks from a recorded piece in the Motif into 5 separate audio tracks - you'd have to dig into the Motif documentation for that.
Actually, yes you can. All mixer or song file tracks on the Motif are in MIDI and you can send out each track on separate midi channels to play something else via MIDI.

You can also on both the Motif XS and XF series send out simultaneous audio via the mLAN (or Firewire) connection. Because the Motif meets the ASIO standard, you can actually set it up your audio interface via the firewire connection. I do this all the time. When I want to, for example, have a PT MIDI track play a voice off the Motif, I can lay that down as an audio track via the Firewire. I simply change audio interface from my MBox 2 MINI to the Motif. Additionally, the Motif allows you to send up to 14 mono or 7 stereo audio tracks that way, PLUS the main stereo L/R out. You do have to set up your audio inputs on PT correctly so you can tell each audio track where the input is coming from. At that point, all input levels are controlled via MIDI and not with any of the audio faders on the Motif or any other place, because its all in the digital realm.

You can also create a song on the Motif...say something with 6 tracks. Unless you specifically convert those tracks to WAV within the Motif, it stores all track info as MIDI. You can then route each of the sequencer tracks of the Motif to separate MIDI channels, so Motif sequencer track 1 is Midi ch 1, track 2 Midi 2 etc. (either Song or Pattern mode).

So, IF what you want to do is record whatever MIDI data is on the Motif in a song where each part is on a different Motif track in the Song (say tracks 1-5), then set up 5 MIDI tracks in PT. Then, in PT, have MIDI track 1 receive MIDI 1, track 2 MIDI 2 and so on. Record arm all of them, and hit play, and hit play on the Motif and all the different MIDI tracks on the Motif will send their individual midi parts out to the corresponding tracks in PT. If you want to hear, say, a VI in PT playing the part off the Motif, then point the MIDI output of whatever MIDI track in PT you're recording the MIDI data from the Motif on TO whatever VI on an instrument track you wish, and as the MIDI data comes into the MIDI track to record, it will also play the VI you've selected. But, you might experience some delay.

If what you want to do is record the AUDIO from the Motif song tracks to the Audio tracks in PT, then, you can use the Firewire connection, set up the Motif as an audio interface for PT, and then input each PT audio tracks with whatever output is needed from the Song file on the Motif. If you need more info on that, let me know.

But, yes, PT WILL record multiple MIDI tracks simultaneously. I do this all the time between my Motif XS8 and PT. Works wonderfully. And I go the other way all the time, too.

Hope this helps a bit.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:10 AM

[q]So what I need to know is how do I have it set up to where when I am recording to MIDI on pro tools from already recorded songs on the Motif XF8, how can I have it to where my 5 different sounds from the keyboard are simultaneously recorded into pro tools under 5 different MIDI tracks with different channels? If you need further clarification of my question then just ask, I'll try to explain better. Thank you so much.[/q]

I've explained the MIDI transfer in my prior post. But, just to clarify one point. If what you want to do is transfer the AUDIO from the song to 5 AUDIO tracks in PT, then you can do that simultaneously, BUT you will have to use the Firewire connection and have the Motif set up as one of your Audio interfaces for PT. Works great!