Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2016, 05:47 PM
Space Cabin Audio

Default Re: Midi Request re shortcut equalise key, and also serious bug in 12.5.2 midi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
that's right. 12.5.2.. before it was fine.

I can make a vid of what's happening.

What i will do is make a BRAND NEW project, add just one midi track, play a few midi notes, and use the track length function.. you will see it just doesn't work on 12.5.2, other than 1 bar. I am doing it in a fresh project, and fresh midi, to show that no other midi processing has been done to it. :)

Cheers
I agree that PT needs a way to do this, and now that I know what you are saying, I do this all the time with drums. I have never heard it called Equalize Notes before though, hence my confusion.

As for the length, in your video, you do not equalize note length though, you trim them relative to other note lengths which is why I kept saying use the smart tool, as that is what it does when all notes are selected.

Only way to do this in PT is with floating windows. Midi needs some major features added for sure.

Kris
May the music move you
Old 07-20-2016, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Midi Request re shortcut equalise key, and also serious bug in 12.5.2 midi

Ok, i couldn't get it to do ANYTHING this time.

So guys, if i have done something wrong, please let me know. PS right now only 360p versions have processed, i recorded HD but it seems you tube updates them in half hour usually for the HD versions.

You tube video of bug:

(edit, video removed as I made an error, will re do properly and make new post below)

Also of the first one showing the equalise simplicity I would love to have in PT:

https://youtu.be/YX_ZLQMdnys

Last edited by TNM; 07-21-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris75 View Post
I agree that PT needs a way to do this, and now that I know what you are saying, I do this all the time with drums. I have never heard it called Equalize Notes before though, hence my confusion.

As for the length, in your video, you do not equalize note length though, you trim them relative to other note lengths which is why I kept saying use the smart tool, as that is what it does when all notes are selected.

Only way to do this in PT is with floating windows. Midi needs some major features added for sure.

Kris you are just not seeing the vid properly, check the lengths again, and then you can even confirm in the event box (the video HD just processed) that all notes result in 100% identical lengths. That's corner click and drag then press alt+shift on logic. You can do it in the actual event list to as many notes as you want, or the piano roll, with as many tracks/notes as you want, all at once.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:22 PM

guys be *very* careful with 12.5.2 as it seems to have screwed up the entire note length operations of any kind. WOW.

Ok, the duration doesn't work properly in track inspector, that's known now.

BUT, if you quantise with the track inspector, which DOES work, then it will not allow you to perform ANY note length legato and overlap operations correctly with the event operations window!

So, to use them somewhat properly, you have to disable the track quantize, and quantize from the event operations windows.

NP you say, right? But no.. because even then, they are not working properly.

if i choose for example legato and to gap by 1, or say 8, or even 32 ticks, it will gap the alright, but NEVER by the correct tick amount chosen. Ever. Not once. I have tried everything.

Overlaps, same thing. And occasionally it does this weird thing where you try legato something obvious like you would in any daw,and for some reason the first note gets a big X on it and turns to like 1 tick in size! it's nuts, and i think midi in 12.5.2 has got major, major bugs. This is unusable for me right now, which is a shame, as nothing is working properly with duration operations! So how is one going to do midi properly? I am totally confused. I am preparing bug reports and new videos to send to avid.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
and once again, a totally useless answer. Please no one else reply unless you can tell me yes or no to what I ask.
To be honest your attitude is so rude I couldn't be bothered to engage with your verbosity.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:12 AM

I don't find him to be rude at all. In fact he seems to be diligently investigating problems that may benefit all of us if they get resolved.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
To be honest your attitude is so rude I couldn't be bothered to engage with your verbosity.
Yet more uselessness.. do you do anything here other than jump into people's topics to tell them how to behave? And you wonder why they are short with you. treat others how you wish to be treated.

I'm actually a very kind fellow who spends so much of his time helping others, that my main problem is I guess i get frustrated when i myself need help and no one does. So for THAT shortness on my part, I apologise.
But i'm known from other forums to actually spend hours sometimes when someone has an issue to try help them work it out.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:04 AM

There is nothing broke in your video. You are not using it correctly. Right click on a note, select "Midi Real-Time Properties" and make the changes from the popup.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10

Last edited by guitardom; 07-21-2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
There is nothing broke in your video. You are not using it correctly. Right click on a note, select "Midi Real-Time Properties" and make the changes from the popup.
actually, whatever is selected in midi real time properties is 100% mirrored in the track inspector i showed in the video.
You can check this for yourself by opening the midi real time properties window and seeing how the track inspector real time view follows.

However, just to be sure, i followed your suggestion. Again, nothing. No length i pick changes any note. it only works in the event operations window (which doesn't have the handy pre determined grid sized note options).

I am happy to make a video showing it not working if you'd think it would be of help.

I think something is massively broken with midi editing in general with 12.5.2, to the point of making the entire act of composing a chore.

Edit, ok, video uploading now. I did this one a bit differently. Sorry i am just learning key commands for creating various kinds of tracks without using the mouse, so bare with me for a minute at the start as i fumble.
I will post a link as soon as my connection manages the upload. Unfortunately, upload speeds in Australia are severely limited, even on my 100 mbit cable. (I get 110 DL, 2 upload LOL.. it's been a topic of conversation for years, how the isps here don't seem to understand the world of the cloud yet).

Anyway I did it differently this time, i made a brand new project, created an instrument track, and DREW IN notes of various lengths, then right click tried to change them. Check it out, i'll upload asap!

Thanks very much by the way for trying to help :)

Ok, Edit 2, here is the video:

(video removed as I did it wrong, i forgot to choose the equals sign in the duration inspector - when selected you will see the issue, i'll be back)

Last edited by TNM; 07-21-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:12 PM

Not sure whether this is relevant but there is a preference which determines whether real time properties are displayed in the edit window and midi editor, perhaps that is a source of some confusion?

Also if you want to equalise the velocity of a bunch of midi notes with the mouse you do it in 2 steps, firstly just pull everything up to the top velocity so that they are all the same. Then pull them all down to the value that you want.

As far as setting everything to the same note duration with the mouse, I don't know a way to do that, so just use the event window.

Other than that I use midi every day for composition in protools and have done for many years, I don't notice any difference in 12.5.2 compared to other versions in midi operation. So that would indicate to me that maybe it is the real time properties preference above, user error through misunderstanding the interface, or else there is some other problem going on with your protools installation which would likely be fixed by reinstalling protools.

Also you can apply midi realtime properties to clips as opposed to whole tracks in protools, it is done through the midi realtime properties window, which allows you to select a clip or clips as opposed to tracks.

Also from your video it appears that you want to trim the length of notes all by the same amount, this is done in protools with the trim tool and one of the modifiers (I think it is shift-option).

Creative Director - Red Note Visionary Sounds: http://rednote.com.au
Label: http://www.stereomissile.com/
Music Production / Mixing: http://www.stereomissile.com/musicproducer/
Mastering: http://www.stereomissile.com/mastering/