Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-04-2013, 05:01 PM

Default Two Versions of PT Installed at Once??

Hi,

This might be a crazy question, but I was wondering if it is possible to have 2 versions of Pro Tools installed on the same computer together and be able to switch back and forth between the two.

I have PT LE 6.4 right now with the original Mbox. I am going to buy PT 9 with the Mbox 3 mini (b/c its the cheapest bundle I could find on ebay.) I am eventually going to get a firewire mixer so I can record 8 tracks at a time, but in the mean time before I buy that, if I want to record 2 mics at once (which the mbox 3 mini doesn't have the capability to do), I would need to use the original mbox, which is not supported by PT9, so I would have to use PT 6.4 for that. So can I have these 2 versions installed on the same computer?

I know the real answer is just to hurry up and buy a firewire mixer, but in the mean time I would like to know if this is possible.

THANKS!!
Old 01-04-2013, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Two Versions of PT Installed at Once??

Nope.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:52 PM

Here's how you can do it(sort of): Buy another system drive and remove your current drive(with 6.4). Install the new drive and load up Windows 7 and PT9(or10) and get that running with the new Mbox3. Now if you ever need to go back to the old setup, you swap the system drive and the Mbox(I seriously doubt you will ever go back, but having a backup plan is ALWAYS a good idea).

Here's another thing to consider, if you connect the old Mbox to a powered USB hub(but NOT to your updated computer) with the MIX knob all the way to iNPUT, you can feed the outputs to your new Mbox so you can use 1 or both old preamps(feeding the line inputs of the new Mbox). All this can work, but would it not make more sense to buy a new interface with 2(or more) mic pre's?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-06-2013, 01:13 AM

Wow albee, those are 2 great and creative ideas. Nice! Thanks!
Old 01-06-2013, 02:50 PM

You should reconsider your plan.

If you are going to go with PT9 and have hopes of adding a FW mixer don't put the mBox Mini in the equation at all.

You should just pause and stick with the OG mBox for now and just save your money.

Then when you have your funding go with PT10 and what ever mixer you want.

At worst you could always buy a copy of PT9 off eBay and get a 8 channel interface instead of mixer.

I just can't see the need to put the mBox Mini in the equations based on your desired state.

I would even say adding 8.0.1 to the original mBox would also be a better solution while you get your funding together.