Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 03-22-2011, 04:59 PM

Default Solved: "Avid Eleven Rack Updater" not copied to Desktop during ERXP install.

Hi everyone,
I was trying to install the Eleven Rack Expansion Pack earlier today, and at the point in the install when it reported it had copied the Firmware Updater to my desktop, it actually hadn't.

I use two internal hard-drives in my MacBook Pro, one SSD, one traditional HDD (I'm using the OWC Data Doubler to accomplish this, very similar to the MCE OptiBay). I keep my Desktop folder on my second hard-disk, and my Applications and OS on my SSD. Anyway, apparently the ERXP installer does not look in the right spot for the Desktop location if your system is configured like this.

What I did to fix it:

After attempting to install from the "Install Eleven Rack Expansion Pack.mpkg" several times, rebooting, etc., I finally wound up:
1) right-clicking on "Install Eleven Rack Expansion Pack.mkpg", selecting "Show Package Contents"
2) Locating Eleven Rack Expansion Pack.pkg, again right-clicking "Show Package Contents"
3) Locate "archive.pax.gz", expand it by double-clicking. The contents will copy to the parent folder/tmp of "Install Eleven Rack Expansion Pack.mkpg"
4) Locate "Avid Eleven Rack Updater.app" (.app is hidden, btw) within that tmp folder, and run it.

I hope this works for you if you have the same problem.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:18 PM

Angry Ethics

P.S. It's actually impossible (I couldn't find a way, anyway) to report this sort of programming glitch to a qualified Support Rep without paying for the honour. I won't say anything else.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Ethics

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmacdonald View Post
P.S. It's actually impossible (I couldn't find a way, anyway) to report this sort of programming glitch to a qualified Support Rep [...]
I suspect you just did.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:32 PM

Default Re: Ethics

Quote:
P.S. It's actually impossible (I couldn't find a way, anyway) to report this sort of programming glitch to a qualified Support Rep without paying for the honour. I won't say anything else.
I dont think thats really a "glitch" its probably not worth avids time to add the extra code to search everywhere for a particular folder, and may cause problems with people who have clones and images. I dont know, im not an accomplished programmer, just an observation. DTS or C&C will be able to give you a much better answer than I can.

Anywho, you can report it here, go to the BUGS section or Eleven Rack section.

http://protools.ideascale.com/

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 03-22-2011, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Solved: "Avid Eleven Rack Updater" not copied to Desktop during ERXP install.

I'm not a _much_ of a programmer, but I've been using single and multi-user operating systems a long time. Environment variables and the like (system registries, etc.) are used to keep track of system and user-specific locations in every OS, because people's setups are personal and do vary widely. It was an oversight and certainly worth the 10 seconds of typing on the programmer's part. I'm glad I caught the mistake on release day, because the bug is so easy to fix.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Solved: "Avid Eleven Rack Updater" not copied to Desktop during ERXP install.

Quote:
I'm not a _much_ of a programmer, but I've been using single and multi-user operating systems a long time. Environment variables and the like (system registries, etc.) are used to keep track of system and user-specific locations in every OS, because people's setups are personal and do vary widely. It was an oversight and certainly worth the 10 seconds of typing on the programmer's part. I'm glad I caught the mistake on release day, because the bug is so easy to fix.
then be sure to report it here, the Techs do look at ideascale

http://protools.ideascale.com/

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 03-22-2011, 07:22 PM

This solution does NOT apply to VISTA and I am still stuck. Help please. Updater not copied to desktop, nowhere to enter serial number etc....everything updated but absolutely no NEW anything on my eleven rack........what do I right click on?????
Old 03-22-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal Guitars View Post
This solution does NOT apply to VISTA and I am still stuck. Help please. Updater not copied to desktop, nowhere to enter serial number etc....everything updated but absolutely no NEW anything on my eleven rack........what do I right click on?????
the above solution does not apply to windows. go back to the other thread, Chimp is there waiting to help you
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=297493

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 03-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Avid

Yes, please do add this to ideascale, and the other sites Benoni suggests.

To be fair, the configurations discussed here aren't tested or qualified by Avid, and I hadn't heard this issue pop up before.

Oh, and a quick comment about '10 seconds of coding'...it's actually a bit more complicated than that. It's mostly due to business junk, but it's not trivial in any sense.

It's a great candidate, though--thanks for following up on it.
P&S Creative Professional
AVID