Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2011, 08:31 AM

Default Magic Trackpad anyone?

Does anyone use the Magic Trackpad with PT? I used the Trackpad sometimes on my MBP, but for a desktop it seems like a PITA.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Magic Trackpad anyone?

I haven't used it yet but I'm considering ditching my Magic Mouse for either the Magic Trackpad or a Kensington Trackball to save desk space. I'm interested to hear what other PT users' experiences have been with it. I love the inertia scrolling of my MBP Trackpad and Magic Mouse which has me leaning toward the Magic Trackpad. However, the assignable buttons on the Trackball would be nice for switching windows or creating playlists.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpingInFire View Post
I haven't used it yet but I'm considering ditching my Magic Mouse for either the Magic Trackpad or a Kensington Trackball to save desk space. I'm interested to hear what other PT users' experiences have been with it. I love the inertia scrolling of my MBP Trackpad and Magic Mouse which has me leaning toward the Magic Trackpad. However, the assignable buttons on the Trackball would be nice for switching windows or creating playlists.
I couldn't stand the Magic Mouse. Any pointers on how you're supposed to use it? I always go back to my little Logitech V220. Simple, no extra buttons but I just find it so comfortable, accurate and agile.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:14 PM

I love the Magic Mouse. As I said earlier the main issue is the desk space required for a conventional mouse that I dislike. I downloaded Magic Prefs for free from Apple's site.I find it much more useful and versatile than the 'stock' preferences.

Basically, mouse movement is normal, one finger scrolls vertically and horizontally with inertia like iPod or iPhone, two finger swipe left/right is forward/backward, pinch zoom, and three finger swipe down is expose all windows. That's all I use.

However, the two finger swipe almost always translates to pinch zoom for some reason. I have to be obnoxiously precise with my finger spacing.

All in all it's a pretty simple use and I'm sure there are others taking fuller advantage of it.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:57 PM

Thumbs up Re: Magic Trackpad anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixChurchStreet View Post
Does anyone use the Magic Trackpad with PT? I used the Trackpad sometimes on my MBP, but for a desktop it seems like a PITA.
I've been using Magic Trackpad since it came out, and I really dig it. I replaced my Trackball, and Magic Mouse with it, and have no issues at all. Got tired of having to click, or hold down the modifier to switch from vertical/horizontal scrolling Also, I now have a smaller desk, so there's no space to maneuver a mouse.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:01 PM

Oh, one thing I should point out is that you should have 2 sets of rechargeable batteries, because it does drain them pretty fast.