Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2009, 11:51 AM

Default Any issues running Digilink cable in conduit with audio cables vs power cables?

I have 2 conduits from gear closet to my console and computer. One conduit to run DC (no AC) power cables from the console power supplies to the console and one to run 24 pair audio snakes to/from the 192 I/O's to the console. My thought is to run the 50' Digilink cable in the conduit with the audio snakes rather than putting it in the conduit with the power supply cables. I'm guessing the Digilink is low voltage, but will I encounter any noise or inductance issues in the audio lines or digital line by doing so? Conversely, would putting the Digilink in the power cable conduit cause any issues with the data passing through it?
Old 09-07-2009, 05:15 AM

Default Re: Any issues running Digilink cable in conduit with audio cables vs power cables?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragbor View Post
I have 2 conduits from gear closet to my console and computer. One conduit to run DC (no AC) power cables from the console power supplies to the console and one to run 24 pair audio snakes to/from the 192 I/O's to the console. My thought is to run the 50' Digilink cable in the conduit with the audio snakes rather than putting it in the conduit with the power supply cables. I'm guessing the Digilink is low voltage, but will I encounter any noise or inductance issues in the audio lines or digital line by doing so? Conversely, would putting the Digilink in the power cable conduit cause any issues with the data passing through it?
I would say safer with fellow audio cables! if all cables have good earthing there should be no problems. running next to power cables is definitely a recipe for problems.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:44 AM

Default Re: Any issues running Digilink cable in conduit with audio cables vs power cables?

Thanks, Chris. I tend to agree with you, but in that the data running in the Digilink cable is digital, I was concerned about possible noise leaking into the analog line level stuff in the 24 pr snake. I've placed a hard drive on top of some analog gear before and heard buzz and RF chatter noise which vanished just by lifting the drive. i don't know if the nature of the data stream in the Digilink is anything like that. There wouldn't be any inductive noise like you get with AC in the power lines since they are all DC.

Anyone else have thoughts about this?