Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2011, 11:17 PM

Default Control 24 Gone HAYWIRE!!

I know these have tons of power supply issues. I replaced my power supply many many years ago and it has worked pretty good through the years with minor fader issues. Today the entire console just went insane. It literally just went up like a christmas tree on and off very randomly. When you touch a button on say the master section the entire master sections buttons turn on and off or if i push a button on say the left side 1-8 section all of the buttons on the side 1 through 8 work at the same time. It basically is in sets of 4 faders 1-8 9-16 17-24 and the master section. I lose audio randomly and then it magically comes back on.

So is this a power supply issue or the harness cable on the inside. i was told it could be either so I just want opinions on what I should buy first. Someone also said a simple deoxit may do the trick. I plan on trying that first thing tomorrow. Any opinions or suggestions?
Old 12-23-2011, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Control 24 Gone HAYWIRE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AURORA4DTH View Post
I know these have tons of power supply issues. I replaced my power supply many many years ago and it has worked pretty good through the years with minor fader issues. Today the entire console just went insane. It literally just went up like a christmas tree on and off very randomly. When you touch a button on say the master section the entire master sections buttons turn on and off or if i push a button on say the left side 1-8 section all of the buttons on the side 1 through 8 work at the same time. It basically is in sets of 4 faders 1-8 9-16 17-24 and the master section. I lose audio randomly and then it magically comes back on.

So is this a power supply issue or the harness cable on the inside. i was told it could be either so I just want opinions on what I should buy first. Someone also said a simple deoxit may do the trick. I plan on trying that first thing tomorrow. Any opinions or suggestions?
A new supported console?

I'm afraid that unless you can have it checked by someone, you won't know for sure and you'll have to "test" it out.

Wave-T.com
Old 12-27-2011, 02:24 AM

Got lucky, it has worked 2 straight days now just from cleaning all the contacts.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Got lucky, it has worked 2 straight days now just from cleaning all the contacts.
Happy to hear you got it solved

Wave-T.com
Old 03-28-2012, 09:24 PM

So here I am back from a couple months ago and my board is worse than before. It now just flickers at me when I try and turn it on. i am told I need the entire DC power harness kitt from digi, now the problem is Digi says they dont have any anymore and i cannot find a single repair company that has any. It seems I am high and dry without any options to fix it. Does anyone know where to get one of these. I am confident i can do the repair myself i just need to find someone with the kit.
Any helps is appreciated.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:46 PM

At this point I would seriously consider going to an other controller option. There's some good ones out there, that you could find for a reasonable price second hand.

Wave-T.com
Old 03-29-2012, 07:44 PM

Yes I agree shoot me some options. I would like to stay at about 10 to 15 k.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Yes I agree shoot me some options. I would like to stay at about 10 to 15 k.
the C|24 is in your price range, it's well integrated and will work with pt 11. You can get a good used (refit) for around 7 k. Actually you can get a new one for 7 k at sweetwater if you exchange your console for the C|24, if I remember right the control 24 is part of the exchange program.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HDXAny-C24/

You could also go with a tascamDM-3200 which is under 3 k and works with pro tools The tascam dm 4800 is under 4 k.

Then there's the Mixed Logic M24 that is supported with pro tools

The ProjectMix I/O is also very well integrated if you don't mind getting other preamps.

Mackie control universal pro which is expandable. the main unit is around 1k and each fader pack is 799 at sweetwater you might find it for less elsewhere.

Abit more expensive than your 15 k is the Solid State Logic Matrix at 23 k, the nucleus at 6 k.

I'm sure there's others, but these were the first one I found.

All of these are for new products, so I'm sure you could find them second hand for less than the written price.

Wave-T.com
Old 03-29-2012, 09:52 PM

Yeah I thought about the C24 on the trade in upgrade. i was just worried that is was also a piece of trash like this Control 24. The Control 24 has been nothing but problems since day one. I am surprised it held up as long as it has, but needless to say it has had problems just about every day over its life at my studio.

i thought about the yamaha but cant get past the way it looks hahah. I know that is very unrelated to its performance but it just looks like something from 1985.

I need a new pro tools rig anyway so Maybe I will just do a complete trade in on the C24 and the new HDX system as well as trade ins for the new I/O boxes.

i was just really hoping for a new MAC that was not also outdated technology to come out before I upgraded. i feel strange buying the mac pro now when i know something much better is on the cusp of being released. Also I wish more plugs were supported right now with HDX. I am in a really tight spot and just really playing the waiting game for the newer stuff.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Yeah I thought about the C24 on the trade in upgrade. i was just worried that is was also a piece of trash like this Control 24. The Control 24 has been nothing but problems since day one. I am surprised it held up as long as it has, but needless to say it has had problems just about every day over its life at my studio.

i thought about the yamaha but cant get past the way it looks hahah. I know that is very unrelated to its performance but it just looks like something from 1985.

I need a new pro tools rig anyway so Maybe I will just do a complete trade in on the C24 and the new HDX system as well as trade ins for the new I/O boxes.

i was just really hoping for a new MAC that was not also outdated technology to come out before I upgraded. i feel strange buying the mac pro now when i know something much better is on the cusp of being released. Also I wish more plugs were supported right now with HDX. I am in a really tight spot and just really playing the waiting game for the newer stuff.
Yeah, I know how you feel. The C|24 is really not that bad in my opinion, I never had any problem with it in any case. As for computer, if you're put off by the elderness of the mac pro, you could always go pc.

Wave-T.com