Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 06-21-2011, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Modern motherboard for original PCI HD Core and Process cards

Hi, Ron

Thanks for posting all the details -- very helpful. I've been studying, and waiting, but now it seems time to grab one of these older boards before they all disappear. SandyBridge looks like a non-starter.

Just wondering if you had any issues with the heatsink behind the PCI slots when inserting your cards. Any "plastic surgery" required?

Thanks,

Ray
Old 06-21-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Campbell View Post
Hi, Ron

Thanks for posting all the details -- very helpful. I've been studying, and waiting, but now it seems time to grab one of these older boards before they all disappear. SandyBridge looks like a non-starter.

Just wondering if you had any issues with the heatsink behind the PCI slots when inserting your cards. Any "plastic surgery" required?

Thanks,

Ray
No surgery required. Everything fitted well. No problems what-so-ever.

I did not take any pictures of the install but will crack the case open and snap some and post it here when I go back to the studio. Won't be back there until this weekend

My engineers/producers are very happy now and everyone wants to play with NI Maschine becuase of how snappy the samples load. Protools loads 8x faster as well and you can really feel the responsiveness in the system now. No problems in Logic or Nuendo either.

I hear that the ASUS board works very well too but it does not have the TI firewire chipset which is recomended for DAWs.

I am still happy I was able to help the community in search of a Sandybridge board but this setup is Super as well and I am pissed I did not go this route when I last visited the upgrade path over a year ago.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonTalley View Post
This board does not exist. It is a ghost board that no one can buy and althouh it is listed on websites and even on gigabytes' site, you will not be able to purchase it. Many have tried and many have gotten the wrong board upon reciept.
Motherboards with the B65 chip and 1155 Sandy Bridge socket will be coming very soon with native PCI support. Whether or not they are OSX compatible is yet to be seen.

I think they are not here yet because they are not for the "enthusiast" crowd. The Z86 was a ghost when this article was written two month ago, and now they are here. "Sometime in May" is what this article says. Okay, so it's June already ...

http://motherboardnews.com/2011/04/0...1155-chipsets/

I was getting ready to go with a 1156 socket, 1st gen i7, but was encouraged to wait a few weeks by someone smarter than me.

Media Man
Old 07-26-2011, 10:54 AM

Any updates?

It looks like gigabyte has the first b65 board out...

http://semiaccurate.com/2011/01/20/g...t-motherboard/

And it is said to have native pci in that article. Also it looks like no dremeling would be necessary. Anyone try it yet?

Also it looks like the 2600k is the best 1155 chip?
Old 07-31-2011, 06:04 AM

I thought it only fair that I post back here. I picked up my new PC a week ago, and although I'm only just starting to get it set up and configured, so far all is going well. (And PT works! Yay.)

Here's what I ended up with:

Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3
Intel Core i7 870
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Antec TP-750 Truepower New PSU
ASUS EAH5450 Radeon Silent 1 GB
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1333MHz (8GB)
Antec P193 V3 Enclosure

I selected components based on what works with PT and noise levels. Overall, it's very quiet, just a gentle "whoosh". The ASUS video card is fanless, and the other components are well regarded for quiet operation. The noisiest thing is the stock cooler on the CPU, which I will probably replace at some point.

I booted my MDD G4 "Blowhole" to check plugin listings, and can't believe how LOUD that is!

Ray
Old 08-04-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Any progress with Sandy?

I have been up and running with the GA-H55-USB3 for a couple of weeks and I could not be happier. W7 and OSX runs very well and PTHD9.0.3 (HD3) hasn't crashed, hiccuped,stuttered, or any of the other weird stuff since optimizing both sides.
Does it matter if the board is revision 1 or 2?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 08-11-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Does it matter if the board is revision 1 or 2?
Wouldn't think so. Still running great!
Old 08-21-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Any progress with Sandy?

I have been up and running with the GA-H55-USB3 for a couple of weeks and I could not be happier. W7 and OSX runs very well and PTHD9.0.3 (HD3) hasn't crashed, hiccuped,stuttered, or any of the other weird stuff since optimizing both sides.

i870 (stock fan) Ebay $198 shipped
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3 Ebay $65 shipped
GSkill Ripjaw 1333 4x4GB sticks Newegg $120 for 16gigs on Shell Shocker
2x1GB F3 Samsung Spinpoints (fast/quiet) Newegg $54.99 Price Match
1x2GB WD Ears (storage/quiet) Newegg $79.99
Antec Case(replaced case fan and added 3 GELIDs) super quiet and rocks!! Newegg $89.99
Case Fans are here and here extra $30 for all 3 but so worth it. These things are super quiet and moves a ton of air.
Corsair 750tx Power Supply (quiet) Tiger Direct $99.99
Geforce Quadro 3500fx (loudest part but works great in OSX not needed for Windows) Pre-Owned

Total cost ~$800

This does not include the Price of GPU(if needed), DVD Burner, W7 Professional or Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Retail(if needed).

Samples load on Maschine as if it was a hardware synth. Super Fast!

I am a very happy man!
hi Ron-

which Antec case did you get? would love to pick up the smallest one possible that can still fit 2 HD cards w/o dremeling...

many thanks,

jon
Old 08-28-2011, 02:19 PM

Ron, which revision of the motherboard did you get that works? 1.0 or 2.0

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...aspx?pid=3442#

So far this Gigabyte board seems like the best option with 2 successful reports in this thread. I am very tempted to upgrade my 8 year old workhorse and get on PT9 and Win 7 with my original HD PCI cards.

Ron do you have a dual monitor option?

I tried to find this online and it is difficult. Most hits are for the mini-ATX or other form factor version. Where did you guys find success buying this motherboard brand new?