Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2007, 12:43 PM

Default Pro tools verses sonar

Hi i am new to protools well had it 2 weeks i have yet to get it running smoothly as my previouse post, but still to run protools you need to do so many diff things to get it to run.
the available audio tracks is very low the amount of plugins you can run are very low.
it just seems to eat up all your system resources. i have always dreamed of owning and running my own protools and i feel badly let down.
i play all my drums via ezdrummer using a roland td 6kw if i have 3 audio tracks with amplitube on 2 of them recording the drums is near on impossible due to latency, and the midi editing is very restricted ( the piano roll )i should be able to record my guitar with a plugin and simply bouce that to another audio track with the guitar sound applied there for allowing me to delete the original track with the plugin hey presto lower latency....

neway havin got that off my chest in sonar i run 16 audio channels 2 with amplitube on them ezdrummer on another channel, compressors, limiters, diffrent effects with no problem at all and with very good latency using asio drivers, and i have never had to alter my system to be ble to acheive this... i have a very good system plenty or ram lots of hardrives good graphics card 2x delta 1010lt's is it me or is it protools what the hell am i doing wrong i so wanted to become a protools user but now i feel like throwing it in the bin.

a very disapointed protools fan

undadogz
Old 05-20-2007, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Pro tools verses sonar

do you change your buffer to record and change again to mix ?
Old 05-22-2007, 01:20 PM

Welcome to Pro tools!

You are facing problems that are common when first time users come from "other" programs. I too am a former sonar user and at first, pro tools seems like a resource hog and very persnicketty when it comes to errors. After a bit of frustration, I finally calmed down and learned how to use the program. Pro tools is extremely powerful and once you learn the ins and outs, you will be more than satisfied with it.

Be specific with your queries in this forum and you will generally find that others have had the same issues and solved them here.

I am now a year in to pro tools and am loving it. The first major project I mixed with it was so much better than anything I ever mixed in sonar. Pro tools just feels more accurate and precise and when I have gone back to "other" programs, the audio just doesn't seem to feel right. Especially with complex mixes with lots of plugins. I think there is a tradeoff in quality with those programs that seem to "plug and play".

JAB

One other side note, when I increased my RAM from 1GB to 2GB I saw immediate performance boost. I wish I could afford to go to 4GB but laptop memory is way too high for a 2gig stick right now.
MSI home build
11th Gen Intel i7-11700K @ 3.60GHz
32g RAM, 6Tb SSD
AVID Dock w/Android 10" Tablet
IK Multimedia AXE I/O
Behringer U-Phoria UMC1820 USB Audio Interface

Bakerplace.net A place for Audio/Video Post Production.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:22 PM

hi i am finding it easier to work with already now i have been given the solution for the record and play delay problem can i just ask a question to see if i have my set up right.....

i have protools on my comp with 2 x delta 10/10lt i have a external beringer ddx32/16 mixing desk connected to a 150 alesis amp and tanoy reveal monitors... i have all the outs from my card going to the ins on my mixing desk i then have the control room outs going to the power amp.....the main outputs left and right from the desk i have going direct back into one of my soundcards left and right in .....

http://www.behringer.com/02_products...X3216&type=210

that is a picture of the back of the desk

http://www.behringer.com/DDX3216/index.cfm?lang=eng

and that above is the main page on the desk

do you or anyone think i have this setup correctly because i seem to have trouble acheiving what i mix on this setup to sound any good on different speakers it often sounds awesome thru the desk and tanoy speakers but when i have mixed it down and play it on another computer or hifi it sounds very muddy

any advice or help of tips from anybody would be awesome and very very much appreciated

undadogz
Old 05-23-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
do you or anyone think i have this setup correctly because i seem to have trouble acheiving what i mix on this setup to sound any good on different speakers it often sounds awesome thru the desk and tanoy speakers but when i have mixed it down and play it on another computer or hifi it sounds very muddy
More often than not, this is a problem with the room you are using to mix in. If it is not acoustically treated properly you could be overcompensating for the room's acoustical deficiencies in your mix.

Check out the Ready Acoustics website and/or the John L Sayers Recording Studio Design forum for more info on how to treat your room correctly.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12