How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 11-07-2019, 12:45 PM

Default Video Engine Error on Playback

Have not seen this before until 2019.10

"The Avid Video Engine stopped unexpectedly."

It's been happening when I am editing in post and just playing back a few dialogue tracks here. Nothing memory intensive at all. 5-6 tracks in timeline at 48khz. ? I thought I saw where there was a possible re-upload of the new version of Protools Ultimate HD that was done and wonder if I missed that? I have plenty of Ram and running OSX 10.14.6. This happens just a bit yesterday when playing back the video with audio. I did the install correctly and deleted all the prefs prior to re-installing new version along with deleting the older HD driver before installing new one.

G
Attached Images
File Type: png The Avid Video Engine Stopped.png (27.2 KB, 0 views)
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 11-07-2019, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Video Engine Error on Playback

May have just found out in a pdf read me what this is.. Stay tuned..
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 11-07-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
May have just found out in a pdf read me what this is.. Stay tuned..

Not sure if this is actually it, so any other info would be appreciated-:). I don't think this is my problem.
Here is what was on the PRoTools 2019.10 Read Me Pg-22

XAVC-L and AVC Long G encoded MXF media present an “The Avid Video Engine stopped unexpectedly” error at the end of the file. (PT-256151)
XAVC-L and AVC Long G encoded MXF media present an “The Avid Video Engine stopped unexpectedly” error at the end of the file. To avoid this issue, the end of the video clip can be trimmed inward by about a second and the error will no longer occur.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Not sure if this is actually it, so any other info would be appreciated-:). I don't think this is my problem.
Here is what was on the PRoTools 2019.10 Read Me Pg-22

XAVC-L and AVC Long G encoded MXF media present an “The Avid Video Engine stopped unexpectedly” error at the end of the file. (PT-256151)
XAVC-L and AVC Long G encoded MXF media present an “The Avid Video Engine stopped unexpectedly” error at the end of the file. To avoid this issue, the end of the video clip can be trimmed inward by about a second and the error will no longer occur.
I just found this and this may be it.

I"ll just use a different codec. I was delivered to me incorrectly by an editor.

Known issues:
*XAVC-L and AVC Long G encoded MXF media will encounter an "The Avid Video Engine stopped unexpectedly" error at the end of the file. To avoid this, the end of the video clip can be trimmed inward by about a second, and the error will no longer occur. As a result, these codecs are not considered supported in Pro Tools 2019.10 (PT-256151)
**1080p50 AVC-Intra100 QuickTime media causes an "The Avid Video Engine stopped unexpectedly" error. To avoid this issue, use another application to transcode the media to another codec, such as DNxHD. (PT-255898)
Downconvert with HW and rendered FX
Old 11-09-2019, 08:11 PM

OK. So I think I figured out that there might be some sort of bug here..

This error happens only when I select an audio file to just play that section of file. If I don't select a file this does not happen. That is when I get "The Avid Video Engine stopped unexpectedly". I also tried putting post roll on for like a minute over and it seems to make it stop? Not sure yet on that.. I also unselected the post roll and then it seems to have stopped.. This is after I uninstalled ProTools 2019.10 and driver and also trashed prefs. Then I re-installed everything, but it was still happening until I did the "post roll" select or just don't select a file to play. Never seen this before.

ALSO, I am still seeing this bug with when I re-open a session, one of the Virtual Instrument tracks is inactive and I have to duplicate the track and that track becomes active, but the other never does again. This has been happening for years now. Wish that could be gone.

G
Attached Images
File Type: png The Avid Video Engine Stopped.png (27.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-11-2019, 10:40 AM

Maybe Jeffro in support and look at these issues, which I have figured a fix for one of them. See below. The VI Instr tracks becoming randomly inactive has been a problem for several years for me on multiple Mac operating systems.

OK. So I think I figured out that there might be some sort of bug here..

This error happens only when I select an audio file to just play that section of file. If I don't select a file this does not happen. That is when I get "The Avid Video Engine stopped unexpectedly". I also tried putting post roll on for like a minute over and it seems to make it stop? Not sure yet on that.. I also unselected the post roll and then it seems to have stopped.. This is after I uninstalled ProTools 2019.10 and driver and also trashed prefs. Then I re-installed everything, but it was still happening until I did the "post roll" select or just don't select a file to play. Never seen this before.

ALSO, I am still seeing this bug with when I re-open a session, one of the Virtual Instrument tracks is inactive and I have to duplicate the track and that track becomes active, but the other never does again. This has been happening for years now. Wish that could be gone.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:25 AM

Sorry to hear that. Most of the studios in my company have been plagued by that dialogue box in recent years but it's been relatively solid this year, and I've not seen such a video crash in 2019.10. Hopefully easy to implement into an update.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:23 AM

Yeah. It's fine. I figured out a work around as I said, but I figured that AVID might like to know about it. Wonder if they read these threads. I don't post that much here because I am pretty busy. That workaround was just by accident when I had it in Post Roll for 5 sec an it went away. I thought it was the H.264 codec or something to do with the .mov file I received from editor. I converted it a couple of times to another format and it still was happening.

I would also like to see what is going on with VI Interments tracks every now and then not being able to be active again. I have plenty of memory, so I know that is not it. That really is a silly bug. I have to duplicate the track and then it's active again and then I deleted the one that never does come back...lol

G
Old 11-12-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Yeah. It's fine. I figured out a work around as I said, but I figured that AVID might like to know about it. Wonder if they read these threads. I don't post that much here because I am pretty busy. That workaround was just by accident when I had it in Post Roll for 5 sec an it went away. I thought it was the H.264 codec or something to do with the .mov file I received from editor. I converted it a couple of times to another format and it still was happening.

I would also like to see what is going on with VI Interments tracks every now and then not being able to be active again. I have plenty of memory, so I know that is not it. That really is a silly bug. I have to duplicate the track and then it's active again and then I deleted the one that never does come back...lol

G

Thanks to
BenoniStudio I found this on YouTube which may fix the inactive Instrument track thing. Not sure if it will since I usually hav all the midi tracks assigned correctly, but it's worth a shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1TBxGNI6W0
Old 12-22-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Sorry to hear that. Most of the studios in my company have been plagued by that dialogue box in recent years but it's been relatively solid this year, and I've not seen such a video crash in 2019.10. Hopefully easy to implement into an update.
Still seeing this today with Protools update of 2019.12, but only happened twice after a few hours of working. I just used PostRole and fixes it for now.
G