Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 01-28-2015, 05:25 PM

Default Recording Virtual Instruments w/ Apollo Duo

I use the virtual drums in Garageband and record them directly into PT, but I don't think I'm going about it the most efficient way. I set system output in GB to Apollo, set the PT track's input to monitor and set all the other tracks output to HP1 (so they don't record onto my drum track). I know there's a way to send the GB track to a virtual track in Console, but I can't figure out how to set an individual track's output in GB. Please help.

Also, does the AIR virtual instrument bundle that comes w/ PT allow for Musical Typing (using keyboard), like it does in GB? It probably be easier to use that, but I don't have a keyboard.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 01-28-2015, 11:30 PM

Default Re: Recording Virtual Instruments w/ Apollo Duo

Why don't you export the track from GB as a file then import it into Pro Tools? I would think that would be quicker and easier.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregV View Post
Why don't you export the track from GB as a file then import it into Pro Tools? I would think that would be quicker and easier.
Wouldn't that mean I'd have to record the drum track in GB first, then export to PT? I want to record in realtime.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
Also, does the AIR virtual instrument bundle that comes w/ PT allow for Musical Typing (using keyboard), like it does in GB? It probably be easier to use that, but I don't have a keyboard.

Thanks,
Adam

Keyboards are cheap especially at a pawn shop.....it's only midi after all.

No musical typing that I have seen, but I believe there are some 3rd party stuff that makes the ascii into midi
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Keyboards are cheap especially at a pawn shop.....it's only midi after all.

No musical typing that I have seen, but I believe there are some 3rd party stuff that makes the ascii into midi
Well that's the one big drawback w/ the Apollo.. for whatever reason there's no MIDI connection!
Old 01-29-2015, 03:21 AM

Sorry Adam... I misunderstood. I thought you had created a track in GB... I didn't realize you were playing GB like an instrument.

I agree with YYR123 - Just a grab a cheap MIDI keyboard.
Don't worry about the lack of MIDI inputs. You can find many that use USB instead. No interface needed, just plug straight into your USB hub!
Have fun!
Old 01-29-2015, 03:22 AM

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/...yboards-565848
Old 01-29-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregV View Post
Thanks for the link. Some of those keyboards are only $10-20 on eBay!

But back to the AIR pack that comes w/ PT. Does that include good virtual drum kits? It's are large file and I don't have unlimited data at the moment; I want to make sure it's worth the download.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
But back to the AIR pack that comes w/ PT. Does that include good virtual drum kits? It's are large file and I don't have unlimited data at the moment; I want to make sure it's worth the download.
I think Strike is a magnificent instrument. It is very deep, and has a lot of groove-oriented features that allow you real-time manipulation of groove, feel, complexity, etc.

But it is not necessarily the easiest one to learn. Drum plug-ins these days are really capable, and Strike has some stiff competition in EzDrummer, Addictive Drums, Steven Slate Drums, and Superior Drummer. Personally I think Addictive Drums is my pick of the litter. Good bang for the buck, the Producer Bundle can be had for $127 - you get to pick three kits, three MIDI packs, and three additional kit pieces.

127 is the maximum MIDI parameter value - if that's not a sign, I don't know what is.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
I think Strike is a magnificent instrument. It is very deep, and has a lot of groove-oriented features that allow you real-time manipulation of groove, feel, complexity, etc.

But it is not necessarily the easiest one to learn. Drum plug-ins these days are really capable, and Strike has some stiff competition in EzDrummer, Addictive Drums, Steven Slate Drums, and Superior Drummer. Personally I think Addictive Drums is my pick of the litter. Good bang for the buck, the Producer Bundle can be had for $127 - you get to pick three kits, three MIDI packs, and three additional kit pieces.

127 is the maximum MIDI parameter value - if that's not a sign, I don't know what is.
I'm not lookin to buy anything. I'm just using the virtual drums for some demos. Just need something that sounds decent n gets the point across