Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-26-2001, 10:13 AM

Default Suggested PC for Digi 001

I am currently shopping for a new PC and a New recoding setup, I love what the Digi 001 setup can do. But I have heard many problems occur when using it with a PC instead of a mac, Anyone have any suggestions to a PC that will be 100% compaatible with the digi 001 system?

THanks
Mike
Old 03-26-2001, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Suggested PC for Digi 001

I built a pc system to make digi happy.

I got an ASUS CUBX-E motherboard,
an piii 750 mHz processor (100mHz front side bus)
and 512 megs of PNY ram (pc100)

I got a Creative Labs Annihilator video card.

I have had NO problems with the digi on this system. Even the 5.1 upgrade went perfectly, I just ran the install on the new version without un-installing any of the software or the wave driver. It's a quick, and affordable system. And, it's all Digi approved!

Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by ReniuR (edited March 26, 2001).]

www.disposableproductions.com
Old 03-27-2001, 10:17 AM

thanks for replying, can I ask what a system like this would cost? and maybe a suggestion for a monitor?

THanks for your help

Mike
Old 03-27-2001, 05:15 PM

thanks, but for $3300 couldn't you get a mac and the digi 001? I guess I am nervous about using a pc to run the digi 001, because I have heard horror stories, But I am also afraid to purchase a mac, because I know nothing about mac's and am afraid relearn how to do what my PC can do in other non musical applications.
Old 03-28-2001, 12:53 AM

Digi 001 will work with the configurations that have been posted. I love seeing these posts about Mac vs PC and the Mac is better. I think if you would have asked me a year ago, I would have definately suggested using a Mac for audio. However, since the advent of PIII coppermine 733 and higher, it's about sixes. That is if you're running windows 98se and good components such as the Mac. Most people who have conflicts with their PC probably bought proprietary boards with cheap components.
Some of the boards that are made like the Asus are high quality, and should do fine. Mac runs well without much conflicts because they make good quality components too.

It would be a great deal better on PC if digidesign had Windows 2000/NT drivers for the 001 since most of the new systems are running windows 2000/NT. (hint hint)

I worked on both platforms with the 001. Mac g4 533 and PC 733 coppermine. I really didn't notice a significant difference in the upload time or better performance. They both did what I wanted them to do...Make Music ))
Old 03-28-2001, 01:53 AM

There are a couple of Digital Audio Workstation companies that support us on the web.
One is www.wavedigital.com
The other is Drastik Solutions www.minnesotamicro.com

Both companies get good reviews from DUC participants who have bought from them. I bought from Drastik Solutions because of their willingness to make the AMD T-Bird work with the Digi001. I expect mine to arrive any day now and will report on its performance. I ordered a fairly powerful setup that includes:
AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHz
Drastik dual ATA-100 MB
256 Megs SDRAM
30.6 Gig IBM HD
75 Gig IBM HD
56k modem
Special mid tower case with 300 watt supply
19" black View Sonic monitor
Black Keyboard, Black mouse
Configured, optimized and delivered with PTLE and the Digi001, for $3300

You may (or then again may not) pay less to buy a PC and do all the configurations yourself, but for the small amount of extra cash I spent I expect to get a custom PC DAW that rocks right out of the box.
Old 03-28-2001, 09:07 AM

Based upon information from the Wave Digital site you can compare a Mac price with a PIII. A 933 MHz PIII with 256 Megs of RAM will cost you $2269 without monitor, $3069 with Digi001 and without monitor. A MAC 533 MHz with 256 Meg of RAM with Digi001 and no monitor costs $3559. While the price is within $500 (about 17% more for the MAC), there are differences in performace to consider and compatibility issues with what you currently run on a PC. I have no issues with MAC vs. PC. I believe whatever you are comfortable with learning is right for you. My personal decision was based upon my own needs and the belief (after doing a lot of research) that the AMD T-Bird could significantly outperform both the MAC and PIII / P4 in the basics and in plugin count and at a lower price. Coroboration to this research has come to me directly from Digi. But the proof is in the pudding...I'll post my findings once I receive my system and have time to put it through its paces. If you want more information about the AMD system call Justin at Drastik and he'll be happy to talk to you.

Jaleo
Old 03-30-2001, 08:01 AM

If you have the knowledge to build your own PC(it is actually rather simple, many books out there to help!), you can build a killer system for less than a third of what I've seen most of the members posting...

Here's the system I'm currently using with no conflicts whatsoever...

PIII 800 Mhz 256/133 Socket 370
Gigabyte(brand name) GA-60XM7 Mthrbrd
-Intel 815E chipset
-Socket 370
-ATX form factor
384 MB of PC100 Ram
IBM 45G 7200 RPM HD
TNT2 16M video card
17" Monitor

If you can find a computer show near you, they have great deals on components. This whole system was apprx. $900, with about 2 hours of time building it. My Digi001 runs great. I originally tried to use a AMD 900Mhz chip with a VIA chipset, HUGE! mistake. I did talk to a tech, and he said in the future the system should support AMD's,... but I'll stick with the PIII's.

note: I have heard good things about ASUS boards, but I have built a few systems lately using Gigabyte boards, and all have worked great, and they are about 2/3 the price.
Old 03-30-2001, 03:17 PM

Have a look at what is said in the following.
"Man I am flabber gasted, I have built a ton of Digi machines with different stuff and after alot of testing and motherboard after motherboard I built a t-bird 800 three weeks ago that blew doors.72X plug in's without a problem all 24 tracks. I am working with a T-Bird 1.2 for a client right now and have easily recorded 8 track passes from a 8 tracl reel to reel without fail.I then tried another pass with those 8 playing back and then yet another for a total of the full 24.Asid from the time it taked for a ata-100 drive to spin up the machine blew away all of my expectations and made me consider selling my 2408 and 24i.This is the break threw that we need.The PIII's and P4 are blow away as well and I will be pitting them against the AMD setup with the same hardware withing a few weeks, but as it stands besides some bios tweaking and other little bits of change this is a system that exceeds all other 133 bus ram setups period and end of story.
This machine against a MAC for performance destroys the sound barrier for the PC and by it's price performance helps existing PC users who know the 98SE and ME style OS stay PC.Ther are more plug in's availible on the MAC but who cares when for a super good price you can do this f-----yes!!!!!!!!!!"

Old 03-30-2001, 03:55 PM

Ok, sorry for whipping up without knowing that... I just had al look to the website of the author, but found him to be a dealer. So the necessary information about fitting parts and tweaks probably will not further be told.
Lalaman