Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 03-22-2020, 10:54 AM

Default 11R S/PDIF not being seen by Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

first time using S/PDIF.

I have 11R S/PDIF output hooked up to the Scarlett 18i20 (3rd Gen) S/PDIF input, but in I/O settings, the only digital channels that show are the 8 ADAT channels.

Do I need to have both S/PDIF input and outputs connected for this to work? happy to order another cable, but wondering what I'm doing wrong. Currently have it connected via analog outs, but would rather avoid the extra conversion steps...

thanks.
2019 16" MBP, 32GB, 1TB SSD; OSX 10.15.7; 4TB USB-C G-Tech External
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2021.3
Plugins, Virtual Instruments, and real ones
Old 03-22-2020, 02:09 PM

Default Re: 11R S/PDIF not being seen by Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

Hey, I have both an 18i20 and Eleven Rack - usually just use an amp sim when recording though.

When you're in Scarlett MixControl, you can click on any of the input headers (above the faders) and change it to whatever input you want, ie. S/PDIF. Down below you can also send any of the inputs to any output.

These types of interface mixers are very powerful, but hard to get a handle on - I've struggled by times.

Sweetwater has a bunch of videos that are quite helpful, just search their chanel for Focusrite Mix Control. I think this video in particular is what would help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV6u7w15bq4

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 03-22-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
first time using S/PDIF.

I have 11R S/PDIF output hooked up to the Scarlett 18i20 (3rd Gen) S/PDIF input, but in I/O settings, the only digital channels that show are the 8 ADAT channels.

Do I need to have both S/PDIF input and outputs connected for this to work? happy to order another cable, but wondering what I'm doing wrong. Currently have it connected via analog outs, but would rather avoid the extra conversion steps...

thanks.
You do not need to be using S/PDIF both ways. But if you do record S/PDIF Out on the Eleven Rack into the S/PDIF in on the 28i20 then you will need to clock off the S/PDIF in on the 18i20. Worry about that last. Get it working at all first.

Pro Tools Setup>IO pages are *not* where to look to get started. They often do not reflect reality.

You need to open up the user guides for the Eleven Rack and 18i20/Focusrite Control and systemically follow the setup there for both boxes. Start at the Eleven Rack and and work towards the 18i20 and then Pro Tools.

Setup the Eleven Rack Digital Out to what you want. Ideally confirm it's working--if you have say a headphone DAC to test with--or use the Focusrite mix (see comment below). Make sure you are setting the clock rate in the Eleven Rack to what is expected in the Scarlett/your session.

Then you need to think about about signal routing in the 18i20, read the Focusrite Control documentation for that.

Actually ideally you learn Focusrite Control enough and can quickly setup a mix from S/PDIF in on that to main outputs, all stand alone from Pro Tools. So you can check the S/PDIF In from the Eleven Rack is working. I'd think that's a great thing to aim for if you are not comfortable with Focusrite Control yet.

And finally in Pro Tools you can try defaulting the Setup>IO pages or manually editing the IO paths to label whatever is the S/PDIF input. But they are just labels for you, and sometimes may not label correctly, even if everything else is setup correctly OK. If in doubt you should be looking at what the numeric output I/O are on the Focusrite and make sure you are using numeric IO in Pro Tools.

Now worry about clocking setup (in case you get clicking etc.).
Old 03-22-2020, 04:14 PM

hi

bumped into something similar when using 11r spdif output. searched in manual.

11r manual:

"Pro Tools must also be set to clock from the digital device, or no audio can pass be- tween them."

"If you get no signal or a compromised signal, double-check that Pro Tools and your exter- nal device are set to the same sample rate and digital I/O format, and that Pro Tools is set to receive sync from the external device."

seems the 11r s/pdif input has to have a signal connected, clocking the entire system
Old 03-22-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
seems the 11r s/pdif input has to have a signal connected, clocking the entire system
That is absolutely not true. The Eleven Rack is perfectly able to be its own clock source.

Your quote from the manual, has nothing to do with the leap you are making above.

Quote:
"Pro Tools must also be set to clock from the digital device, or no audio can pass be- tween them."

"If you get no signal or a compromised signal, double-check that Pro Tools and your exter- nal device are set to the same sample rate and digital I/O format, and that Pro Tools is set to receive sync from the external device."
All this is saying is Pro Tools needs to clock from the interface. That's always true, it's like saying you have to keep breathing to stay alive. In this case Pro Tools needs to clock from the 18i20. And the easiest way to set up the overall system is to have the 18i20 clock from it's S/PDIF input coming from the Eleven Rack.. and the Eleven Rack just uses its internal clock. There is absolutely no reason to need to drive a clock into the Eleven Rack. No reason to waste time getting additional cables.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
That is absolutely not true. The Eleven Rack is perfectly able to be its own clock source.

Your quote from the manual, has nothing to do with the leap you are making above.

All this is saying is Pro Tools needs to clock from the interface. That's always true, it's like saying you have to keep breathing to stay alive. In this case Pro Tools needs to clock from the 18i20. And the easiest way to set up the overall system is to have the 18i20 clock from it's S/PDIF input coming from the Eleven Rack.. and the Eleven Rack just uses its internal clock. There is absolutely no reason to need to drive a clock into the Eleven Rack. No reason to waste time getting additional cables.
ok Daryll thx for clarification, and insight. I'll look at my setup again. Trying to feed external and better-than-11r DAC/CDP from 11r spdif output to the external DAC's spdif input.

/FZZ
Old 03-23-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelG View Post
Hey, I have both an 18i20 and Eleven Rack - usually just use an amp sim when recording though.

When you're in Scarlett MixControl, you can click on any of the input headers (above the faders) and change it to whatever input you want, ie. S/PDIF. Down below you can also send any of the inputs to any output.

These types of interface mixers are very powerful, but hard to get a handle on - I've struggled by times.

Sweetwater has a bunch of videos that are quite helpful, just search their chanel for Focusrite Mix Control. I think this video in particular is what would help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV6u7w15bq4

Joel
You must have a much older version - the current v 3.5 of focusrite control has no such features, and the only way to select the SPDIF inputs is on the outputs to monitor - see attached. I can hear the Eleven Rack, but can't get it to show up in pro tools.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 11.23.58 AM.jpg (41.2 KB, 0 views)
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2021.3
Old 03-23-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
You must have a much older version - the current v 3.5 of focusrite control has no such features, and the only way to select the SPDIF inputs is on the outputs to monitor - see attached. I can hear the Eleven Rack, but can't get it to show up in pro tools.
Can you post screenshots for all the relevant Control pages.. (including the output page the most important one here)

What do you mean "show up". Do you just mean a "s/pdif" label it's not listed in Setup>IO>Input? Again, that is not important and the label can easily be wrong.

You need to be very specific. You can "hear the Eleven Rack".. where exactly? Going through the mix in your 18i20 monitor? Or directly from the Eleven Rack connected to analog monitors?

If you did confirm you have S/PDIF coming into the 18i20 by monitoring it in the Control mixer.. then *ignore* what the Setup>IO>Input labels show and test if you have an input on the expected IO input number given by the 18i20/Control documentation.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkzzaJ View Post
ok Daryll thx for clarification, and insight. I'll look at my setup again. Trying to feed external and better-than-11r DAC/CDP from 11r spdif output to the external DAC's spdif input.

/FZZ
If you are having problems start a seperate thread and post details and you will get help. If you want to bypass the Eleven Rack DAC.. then sure you have to use two digital cables. But I caution, for running signals through the rig a fancier preamp and DAC is unlikely to make much difference... the time you really want to use the S/PDIF in from the Eleven Rack is when reamping to an outboard Eleven Rack. .. .sure then you are using it for signal not just clock, and you still gave a choice to clock the Eleven Rack from it's S/PDIF input or clock the interface from the Eleven Rack. For almost all use you will not be able to tell any difference.

And for hard core reamping, my suggestion would be to use the equivalent plugins in Pro Tools. Once you get used to it it's much easier, and gives more flexibility.

Anyhow lets not clobber this thread about other stuff.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:44 PM

Umm, I did start this as a separate thread, so not sure what you mean.

when I say I can hear through the SPDIF, If I choose SPDIF as the input to the Main out or headphone out vs. DAW Mix, I hear the SPDIF out.

But I don't see any option in input to select SPDIF.

I'll submit a ticket to Focusrite but believe they'll just say it's a pro tools issue, not us.