Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2016, 02:22 AM

Default Songwriting & recording on the road

Hi there.

I'm looking for a way to utilize my iPad and Axiom MIDI keyboard when away from my studio. I'm thinking an app with built-in VI sounds, and audio (mic) and MIDI I/O compatible with the iPad. I would love to have the option to plug in 2 headsets/earbuds, but that may be a stretch.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:59 AM

Default Re: Songwriting & recording on the road

Are you looking for advice on an interface to take on the road, or for software to record music while away from your studio? What connections (ports) does the ipad have?

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:45 AM

Well, I'm looking for a combo. I would prefer to be able to take my iPad with decent software installed, some sort of I/O "gadget", a mic and the Axiom with me. The goal is to, as a keyboardist, to write and record songs easily when I'm away.

The iPad has a Lightning connector, and the regular mic in and L/R out 3.5mm jack.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:02 AM

I don't know much about Apple products, never having owned any of them. The Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 is a nice portable interface, with mic and line inputs, plus midi in and out ports. Does the Axiom have a standard midi port or is it usb? Would a Lightning to USB cable work with your ipad? (The Scarlett connects to the computer via USB). For using 2 sets of headphones you could get a "Y" adapter, but both headphones would have the same volume. The Scarlett 2i6 has 2 separate headphone out jacks.

Link to 2i4: https://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-i...s/scarlett-2i4

I haven't used any of these (still using my trusty Digi002 rack and Command 8), but have seen them recommended quite a bit for an inexpensive interface. Per the website in the link I provided, the Scarlett now comes with ProTools First, and works with PC and Mac.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:15 AM

Thanks for the advice, which led me to the Focusrite iTrack Dock. Never heard of this device. It seems to fit my needs quite nicely, even with a single headset output.

However, based on what I've read so far, the Axiom (has both 5-pin MIDI I/O and USB connector) doesn't seem to be compatible. I have to do some more research.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:41 AM

Wow, that is quite a device. I had never heard of it either. Where do you see that the Axiom is not compatible? On the Technical Specs tab for the itrack dock, the Axiom is not listed as having been tested, but it is not on the Known Incompatible list. I would think midi is midi. Does you Axiom have it's own power supply? I could see an issue if it relies on USB power, and maybe the iTrack doesn't output enough power.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:07 AM

IK Multimedia iRig woks great with our ipads and use that little gadget quite often when on airplanes and hotels. Cheap too

Doesn't have midi but works with audio in and out atleast and does a great job with sound quality. We use Synthmaster as a VI aswell as Propellerheads VI.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irighd/

Here are a few other units that works with ipad:

http://www.sweetwater.com/c1058--iPad_iPhone_Interfaces

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-19-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
Wow, that is quite a device. I had never heard of it either. Where do you see that the Axiom is not compatible? On the Technical Specs tab for the itrack dock, the Axiom is not listed as having been tested, but it is not on the Known Incompatible list. I would think midi is midi. Does you Axiom have it's own power supply? I could see an issue if it relies on USB power, and maybe the iTrack doesn't output enough power.
I just googled "itrack dock axiom".

I do not have a power supply for the keyboard, but it is an option.

Quote:
IK Multimedia iRig woks great with our ipads and use that little gadget quite often when on airplanes and hotels. Cheap too

Doesn't have midi but works with audio in and out atleast and does a great job with sound quality. We use Synthmaster as a VI aswell as Propellerheads VI.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irighd/

Here are a few other units that works with ipad:

http://www.sweetwater.com/c1058--iPad_iPhone_Interfaces
Many thanks for the tips, Chris. I'll definitely check'em out. I need MIDI connection - pretty dead in the water without it.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:30 PM

Alesis were about the first to market with an ipad dock - I'm not certain if they still make one, but it was pretty decent, and had MIDI sockets, as well as Mic pre's.

Behringer make (or made) a clone of the Alesis unit, which also has MIDI sockets, for a fraction of the cost of the Alesis - though I've no idea how good / bad it is (I get the impression that, these days, Behringer are better than their old reputation would have people believe).

In either case, I'm sure the pre's on the Focusrite would be far superior, but considering MIDI seems to be your priority, I'm sure either units shortcomings would be tolerable, given your goal.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:24 AM

Thanks a lot, Carl.

Yeah, it seems that the Focusrite pre's are the same as in the Scarlett series, and I'd have no problems with that.

I see that both Behringer and Alesis have some alternatives. Gut feeling; I'd go with the Behringer over the Alesis.

A friend of mine bought the iTrack a while back (without telling me, dang it), so I can test it in combo with my Axiom keyboard.