Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-07-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Adding RAM, What to look For?

I am running an 002 Rack with PT 6.7 using a HP Pailion with 512 ram. I really want to upgrade to a gig or 2 bit I have no idea where to start. I know that the computer is a HP Pavilion a250n with a 2.6 ghz precessor and 512 Ram.

What should I look for / get? Any imput is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2007, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Adding RAM, What to look For?

I use lifetime ram from sweetwater 209 for a gig
Old 03-07-2007, 09:41 PM

Just did a quick search, but you should confirm this stuff yourself before buying something. From what I can tell, you have 4 memory slots which can handle a total of 2 Gigs of RAM. Your PC uses DDR 333 (or PC 2700) RAM, so it shouldn't cost too awfully much. Provided you aren't doing massive overclocking, just about any memory with those specs should be okay.

If you're going for 2 Gigs, get yourself a total of four 512 MB memory modules. I've used Kingston without any problems. If you overclock (not recommended with a DAW) or just want performance RAM, I've heard good things about Crucial, Corsair, OCZ...

I like Newegg.com for computer parts. Good selection and prices. Expect to pay between $40 - $70 for 512 MB. Dang, I remember paying over $200 for 4 MB way back when! I had to deliver a LOT of pizzas to cover that too!

^^^ $209 per Gig seems like way too much. I wouldn't buy computer parts from a retail audio store if you want a good price...
Old 03-07-2007, 10:40 PM

I don't know if this is an issue with modern computers, but before it was highly recommended that the RAM used was the same, ie, 4x512 as mentioned as well as the same brand.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
I don't know if this is an issue with modern computers, but before it was highly recommended that the RAM used was the same, ie, 4x512 as mentioned as well as the same brand.
Right, I meant to mention that. I'm not sure if you currently have 2x256 or 1x512, but your best bet is to toss whatever you have in favor of a whole new set of RAM instead of trying to mix modules.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:27 AM

I just bought a new 1 gig DDR 400 module. Do you think it will work with my two 512's? All are the same brand and type, of course.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:25 AM

Is more RAM better than faster RAM? I'm using 512M of 4300 at the moment, but I've 2Gig of 3200 in another machine. Is it worth swapping them round?

Cheers
Sparks
Old 03-08-2007, 05:50 AM

Quote:
I just bought a new 1 gig DDR 400 module. Do you think it will work with my two 512's? All are the same brand and type, of course.
This typically depends on your motherboard. I have three systems at home. On one (an older system) the motherboard doesn't have a problem with mixing un-matched RAM and/ or RAM of different sizes.

Read the motherboard manual that came with the system. If you don't have it find the manufacturers website and see if the information is there (perhaps even a downloadable manual). Within the manual you should find info on how the RAM slots will handle things. Whether it can and or will handle RAM of different sizes and unmatched. You'll also find info on what slots to insert the Memory (RAM).

For example we upgraded the RAM on one system. It could handle 2 gigs but it had to be matched AND had to be inserted into memory slots 1 and 3.

Another wierd thing about the above example system (if i remember correctly) is it could only handle memory of a certain speed if 2 gigs were installed and another faster speed if only 1 gig was installed.

In any case, once again, refer back to your motherboards manual. Reading up is pain in the butt at times but well worth the hassle. It can and does avoid so many other problems. (Thus the acronym RTFM).

And to be a total pain some brands of memory just won't work in some motherboards. In your case, since it's the same brand, you are probably ahead of the game. In the above example I had to return the first 2 gigs of RAM for another brand as the brand I bought originally wouldn't work. After searching the internet I found there were compatibility issues with the original brand. Wish I had read about that first but, we often learn mmore from our mistakes.
-------------------
As a point of humor there used to be a web site long before the internet's popularity took hold, before web broswer were graphic, at the massachusetts intitute of technology. It was actually an FTP site who's address was something like rtfm.mit.edu The whole point being how important it is to read the instructions manuals that you get with just about EVERYTHING.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Is more RAM better than faster RAM? I'm using 512M of 4300 at the moment, but I've 2Gig of 3200 in another machine. Is it worth swapping them round?

Cheers
Sparks

Assuming they are the same type I.E. DDR vs DDR2 It has been my experience that more RAM is better than faster RAM. This Assumes you have an actual need for more RAM and that their is not a huge speed difference.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 03-08-2007, 10:10 PM

Thanks for the info!

Checked the manual and nothing was mentioned about matching capacities. The upgrade works without any problems!