Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2013, 05:51 AM

Default Request for Help Accessing Protools Express from Second Computer

Some time ago I posted a request for help regarding downloading Protools Express on a second computer and appreciated the helpful responses I received, but I’m still having problems. I figured that, before I spent $40 on Avid support for the sake of one phone call, I’d see if anyone could tell me if I was missing something obvious.

As background: About a year ago I successfully installed iLok and Protools Express on my computer, and both have worked fine. Because of increasing problems with the computer (which is on the old side), however, I bought a new one and tried to transfer the Avid software . I had no problem installing iLok and Mbox on the new computer using Avid Audio Device Driver and planned to use my Avid account to download Protools (since I never received an installation disk for this), which I could then access once I activated the iLok. For the download, I was referred to the following web site:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...-3-4-Downloads

Unfortunately, when I tried to download Protools and entered my activation code as prompted , I was informed that the software had already been downloaded and could only be downloaded once. I had thought that Protools could be downloaded anywhere and accessed as long as the iLok was activated. Do I somehow need to unregister the Protools software on my old computer to be able to access it from the new one? What am I missing? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Request for Help Accessing Protools Express from Second Computer

You don't need to activate Protools, just download it. The activation code is only for the first initial registration. You just need to download and install the program on whatever computer you want, and then plug in the Ilok and interface and that should be it.

The download link is not working, so I can't really suggest anything else right now. If you have a copy of the installer from the previous time you downloaded it, you can also use that. For this reason, when you download the installer, you should burn a copy of the installer onto a disc, so that you don't have to re-download it.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:47 PM

You should be able to re-download the installer from you account at Avid.com http://www.avid.com/US/account/orientation

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-16-2013, 06:48 PM

Thanks for your response. The problem is that, when I get into my account and click on "download and activate my products" (which I assume is how I download Protools Express onto my second computer), I get prompted for my activation code, which I can't re-use. Is there another link I should be using? I can certainly provide more information about my computer, but I didn't think that would be relevant to perform what should be a standard operation.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apencer45 View Post
Thanks for your response. The problem is that, when I get into my account and click on "download and activate my products" (which I assume is how I download Protools Express onto my second computer), I get prompted for my activation code, which I can't re-use. Is there another link I should be using? I can certainly provide more information about my computer, but I didn't think that would be relevant to perform what should be a standard operation.
Hi

Under the option "view my product details" your folder there contains all ypur downloads and download express from there. You are looking in the wrong place my friend

Best of luck
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-20-2013, 07:02 PM

Many thanks - you directed me to the right place. I'm having some problems with the downloads, but at least this is progress