Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 10-07-2019, 06:37 AM

Default DDMF Plugins and Catalina

Nice info about the status of the latest Mac update.

Dear DDMF users,

as always, I hope this email reaches you in good spirits! I just want to share some important information about the upcoming Mac Catalina update... so if you are exclusively using Windows, you can now stop reading .

As you may or may not have heard, with Catalina, the new Mac operating system that will be released this month, support for 32 bit software is abandoned. This has important consequences for a number of DDMF products: Bridgewize and Metaplugin, which both offer the possibility to use your old 32 bit plugins in a 64 bit host, will no longer be able to do that under Catalina. There is no technical workaround for this, also none of the competitor products that offer bit bridging will continue to work under Catalina. So if you want to keep using your old and beloved 32 bit plugins, you will have to stay on OSX 10.14 or lower! This, of course, also applies to the 32 bit version of Plugindoctor, which will no longer work with OSX 10.15.

A second change that will come with Catalina is that all software that is not being sold directly via iTunes (such as DDMF and almost all other non-Apple audio software) will now have to undergo a process called "notarization" in order to continue to work under Catalina. The exact consequences of non-notarized software are, I have to admit, not yet entirely clear to me; also, in reaction to a lot of developers complaining about this new requirement, Apple has decided to relax the restrictions a bit until January 2020, but anyway, be prepared for some unforeseen issues with not only DDMF software, but 3rd party software in general when updating to Catalina.

To summarize, if you plan to keep using 32 bit software (plugins or otherwize) you cannot update to Catalina. Even if you are all set for 64 bit exclusively, I'd advise you to not update immediately, but first wait a few weeks until it has become clear whether the new notarization requirements lead to significant issues.

That's it for the moment, thanks for listening!

All the best, Christian
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:26 AM

Default Re: DDMF Plugins and Catalina

Is there any update to this? Right now I'm setting up Catalina on a Mac Pro 2013 to install Pro Tools 2020 (whenever it comes out -- I hope soon), and I'd love to be able to install DDMF's Metaplugin VST to AAX wrapper.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:14 PM

Is there any update on this?
Old 04-04-2020, 11:14 AM

So I went ahead and purchased the DDMF Metaplugin (which allows you to use VST and AU plugins in Pro Tools) and it works just fine on PT 2019.12 in Catalina 10.15.2. The only thing you have to do special is, when you open the installer package, you have to right-click and give permission to install, as Catalina does not recognize the developer. But it install and works fine.