Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-14-2006, 05:31 AM

Default OS Updgrading Best Practices...

Hey,

I need to upgrade one of my computers from 10.3.4 to 10.3.9. I'm looking forward to a bit of a fresh start for the computer, as it's been acting a little kerflukey, but I can't, for the life of me, remember how much to anticipate reinstalling for that kind of upgrade. It's still panther to panther, but it's just been so long.

Can anyone remind me of what to expect, or tips to make the OS upgrade less painless?

Thanks!

- proxy
Old 09-14-2006, 06:45 AM

Default Re: OS Updgrading Best Practices...

Best bet is to use 10.3 install disc. Do a clean install, then d/l the 10.3.8 combo update from apple.com. If you're having issues with OSX, you dont want any trace of them hanging around. A clean install is the way to go. The whole thing will take less than an hour. Then just install your programs, and copy your files back. Oh, and at the risk of stating the obvoius, make sure to back up your files to another hard drive FIRST!

You should probably avoid 10.3.9 if your running PT. Many posts here claim that it is problematic w/ PT. Something to do with Quicktime 7.

good luck,
soul
Old 09-14-2006, 07:01 AM

Thanks for the response.

I honestly couldn't remember if I'd have to reinstall applications etc.

I suppose it may defeat the purpose of starting with a clean, stable system, but, was there a way to do it so that you don't have to reinstall all the apps?

- proxy
Old 09-14-2006, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the response.

I honestly couldn't remember if I'd have to reinstall applications etc.

I suppose it may defeat the purpose of starting with a clean, stable system, but, was there a way to do it so that you don't have to reinstall all the apps?

- proxy
You're right, it does defeat the purpose of a clean install. It's best to install a clean system and then re-install all your apps. It's a real pain, and can take half a day easy. Then it'll take a month or so to get everything back the way you had it, because there are ALWAYS things you forget, or things like prefs you've saved.

But every so often, it must be done. And then your system will be nice & snappy for a little while. Then one day, for no known reason, it'll just slow back down again.

Have you tried running "Cocktail" first? Sometimes a nice cache cleaning & such eliminates the need for a clean install. Open it, switch to the "Pilot" tab, and just run the whole thing (make sure all the cache settings are checked to clean them.) I do this about once a month.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26516
Old 09-14-2006, 05:23 PM

Thanks. Yeah - what is that about? I think it must have to do with the internet though. I have a couple of computers lying about and my music one is not connected to the internet, and it is the most stable and responsive one.

Thanks for the link. Their server's down right now, but I'll try again later.

- p
Old 09-15-2006, 09:49 AM

Once you have done a new build make a Carbon Copy Clone of your boot disk then you will be able to get back to a 'good' install without having to start over.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:46 AM

Cool. That's a great idea. Thanks.

- p