Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 05-07-2020, 09:18 AM

Default S6L/S3L Pro Tools Playback Engine Restrictions

Hi there,

Maybe someone found a workaround for this.

To unlock the 64/128 Ch. recording capacity you have to set the Pro Tools Playback Engine directly to the E3L/E6L Engine.
But if you do so, you aren't able to send Signals to other Devices out of Pro Tools.

This is my use case:
I'm using a S6L at FOH and Mons and they're both sharing the inputs.
The Broadcastmix is fully done in Pro Tools with the same inputs and a S3 faderboard.

I tried to generate a aggregate I/O device for using the S3 AVB outs for my Monitors and also sending the outputs via Dante to the embedder.
This isn't working at all cause Pro Tools needs to have the Engine as Playback Engine, even if you have the "Live Sound Production Toolkit" License on the same Ilock as the Pro Tools license.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Honestly, I can't understand why there is this restriction even if you have the right license.

Thanks for your help and ideas!

Kind Regards Silas
Old 06-16-2020, 09:18 AM

Default Re: S6L/S3L Pro Tools Playback Engine Restrictions

The biggest issue is that currently AVB is not a "network" protocol to the extent that we're used to. It's set to connect devices directly with each other, not to broadcast to multiple devices that can "pick off' part of the stream that the user wants. I would watch Robert Scovill's The Lab series on YouTube. The latest should be up sometime today and it's specifically about redundant systems. I know that he uses an S3L as part of his system, you might be able to glean some information that will help your current situation.
Old 06-17-2020, 10:29 AM

Here is the link to the video:

https://youtu.be/1ke5aCDF7wU
Old 06-21-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emluper View Post
The biggest issue is that currently AVB is not a "network" protocol to the extent that we're used to. It's set to connect devices directly with each other, not to broadcast to multiple devices that can "pick off' part of the stream that the user wants. I would watch Robert Scovill's The Lab series on YouTube. The latest should be up sometime today and it's specifically about redundant systems. I know that he uses an S3L as part of his system, you might be able to glean some information that will help your current situation.
Well, AVB is a network protocol, it's just not particularly well exposed in macOS. You can launch the AVDCC controller from the avbutil command-line utility, which will allow you to patch AVB streams in a manner not dissimilar to Dante Controller. It's slightly less intuitive, as the listener and talker stream widths and formats need to match, and clocking is a little more complicated (because AVB does not derive the media clock implicitly from the network clock). But it can be done – no experience with the S6L, but works with my S3.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:56 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockmSi View Post
Hi there,

Maybe someone found a workaround for this.

To unlock the 64/128 Ch. recording capacity you have to set the Pro Tools Playback Engine directly to the E3L/E6L Engine.
But if you do so, you aren't able to send Signals to other Devices out of Pro Tools.

This is my use case:
I'm using a S6L at FOH and Mons and they're both sharing the inputs.
The Broadcastmix is fully done in Pro Tools with the same inputs and a S3 faderboard.

I tried to generate a aggregate I/O device for using the S3 AVB outs for my Monitors and also sending the outputs via Dante to the embedder.
This isn't working at all cause Pro Tools needs to have the Engine as Playback Engine, even if you have the "Live Sound Production Toolkit" License on the same Ilock as the Pro Tools license.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Honestly, I can't understand why there is this restriction even if you have the right license.

Thanks for your help and ideas!

Kind Regards Silas
Well, LSPT iLok is exactly to unlock 64ch for VENUE, it's not intended to be used for other I/O. So when PT sees some aggregate device it just doesn't recognize it as VENUE AVB device. This is kinda correct behavior.