Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 12-10-2009, 10:05 AM

Default Non venue hd2 for live sound

So I'm upgrading my personal studio from 003R+ to pro tools HD2. I also do some work for a church sound system that runs an 003 to record cd / tapes , and some times choir / group performances. They heard I was upgrading and now want to upgrade as well. I can't really see what they would gain. right now they are pulling two (sometimes 4) mono outputs of the back of a large mackie board into the 003 and recording to a laptop running pro tools. The thought is they would get rid of the mackie board and additional gear and run a C24 and hd2 setup in a 8 core mac pro. Running all of the existing wired and wireless mics into the C24. My question is does any one run a completely live setup using a control 24 and HD2 setup. How do you handle the PA speakers and additional things? are you adding things like reverb, eqing, etc on the fly? any help would be much appreciated.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Non venue hd2 for live sound

If you had enough IO, I don't see why it couldn't work, but once you need to engage the transport, you run the risk of having a PT freeze silence your entire PA. I would think an SC48 and the laptop running LE would be a safer investment. Having said all that, assuming you are already buying the C24 and some IO units, it might be a fun experiment.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-10-2009, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Non venue hd2 for live sound

I looked into doing this at a church I was working for. We ditched the idea because of the lack of a back up if the system went down.

I would suggest a mixrack system running HD or an SC48 running LE.

Imagine this.... It's easter sunday... you have a full band (kit, AG, EG, Bass, Lead Vox,2 BGVs)... packed house (300+ people attending)... and right as you go into the chorus of a rock'n song the system freezes and you have to not only restart protools, but restart the computer as well...

I would not want to be in the situation, which is why I would suggest a MixRack or SC48
Mac Pro 2x2.8GHz Quad-Core, 14gigs of ram
Macbook Pro w/Retina Display, 2.3Ghz i7, 16gigs of ram