Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2018, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Shut up and take my money!!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
This is gold advice for me and explains why I usually prefer the sound of the AR plugins before adjusting the input gain to the level recommended in the manual.
This is making me cross-eyed.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post
This is making me cross-eyed.
You know how the input gain control can be adjusted in plugins like J37 for example, and there's also an option to chain the input and output controls so when one goes up the other goes down so you can increase the input until the needle of the meter reaches 0 more consistently without increasing the output volume? Most of the time I prefer how the plugin sounds when the needle is almost at minimum (lower input signal) as opposed to bringing the needle close to 0 as typically recommended in user manuals. This way I push less signal into the virtual circuit of the plugin generating a cleaner sound while still getting advantage of the rest of the components of the plugin like for example the wow & flutter, the typical frequency response, the tape speed, etc.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
You know how the input gain control can be adjusted in plugins like J37 for example, and there's also an option to chain the input and output controls so when one goes up the other goes down so you can increase the input until the needle of the meter reaches 0 more consistently without increasing the output volume? Most of the time I prefer how the plugin sounds when the needle is almost at minimum (lower input signal) as opposed to bringing the needle close to 0 as typically recommended in user manuals. This way I push less signal into the virtual circuit of the plugin generating a cleaner sound while still getting advantage of the rest of the components of the plugin like for example the wow & flutter, the typical frequency response, the tape speed, etc.
OK, that much makes sense. I was trying to factor in the -18dbfs tracking thing, but that's a nit if I track as I always do and look at the input reading on the analog modeling AR plugs. Of course I'd rather not have to remember that, but whatever.

I did buy and install the plug-in in question, but forgot to try it out today.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:47 AM

Quote:
OK, that much makes sense. I was trying to factor in the -18dbfs tracking thing, but that's a nit if I track as I always do and look at the input reading on the analog modeling AR plugs. Of course I'd rather not have to remember that, but whatever.

I did buy and install the plug-in in question, but forgot to try it out today.
I don't think much about it anymore, the preamps I have at home don't perform very well at high levels so I always track at -18/-20 which gives me a nice clean signal that I can color later with plugins. I take good care of keeping all my processes at unity gain so when I have to insert one of these plugins the signal is usually in the -18 ballpark so I just leave the input gain as it is, every time I try to bring it close to 0db I don't like the sound. On the other hand, when I have the possibility to track in a good studio with expensive preamps I take full advantage of their color tracking closer to 0db, then like Bob I use clip gain to bring my signal back to the levels I'm used to work with. His post gave a good reason to understand why.

Looking forward to hear why you think of the new plugin.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:03 AM

Hey kids! Gain staging is COOL Stay in school and don't do (too many) drugs!
Old 10-24-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GTOBOY View Post
Hey kids! Gain staging is COOL Stay in school and don't do (too many) drugs!
If you see something wrong, tell the principal!
Seriously, I assume this was with me because I've never been to any audio school and I have trouble understanding that area, so I would really appreciate anything you can teach about it.

Last edited by amagras; 10-24-2018 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
I don't think much about it anymore, the preamps I have at home don't perform very well at high levels so I always track at -18/-20 which gives me a nice clean signal that I can color later with plugins. I take good care of keeping all my processes at unity gain so when I have to insert one of these plugins the signal is usually in the -18 ballpark so I just leave the input gain as it is, every time I try to bring it close to 0db I don't like the sound. On the other hand, when I have the possibility to track in a good studio with expensive preamps I take full advantage of their color tracking closer to 0db, then like Bob I use clip gain to bring my signal back to the levels I'm used to work with. His post gave a good reason to understand why.

Looking forward to hear why you think of the new plugin.
We are in similar boats, only I ended up to where I adjust most volume with either the track or a downstream volume-fader instead of clip-gain. My interface likes to brighten things up and it's easier to fight this before turning any volume up using clip-gain. (Cleaning the signal on the way in is optimal, but I don't always succeed.)
Old 10-24-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
We are in similar boats, only I ended up to where I adjust most volume with either the track or a downstream volume-fader instead of clip-gain. My interface likes to brighten things up and it's easier to fight this before turning any volume up using clip-gain. (Cleaning the signal on the way in is optimal, but I don't always succeed.)
I do that sometimes, also there are plugs that really sound good when pushed, I'm thinking of the Tel Ray delay for example. In those cases I use the stock Trim plug afterwards to bring the signal back to the initial levels. Once inside the DAW gain staging doesn't work the same way and you can do whatever works best.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
If you see something wrong, tell the principal!
Seriously, I assume this was with me because I've never been to any audio school and I have trouble understanding that area, so I would really appreciate anything you can teach about it.
Nah, I was just thinking that it's one of those things that is easy to skip and think to oneself it'll be fine if I don't this time Which is just a bit of normal human I don't wanna work type attitude that is most often found among teenagers(Do I HAVE to???) So I was just throwing the semi comical things I say to myself when laziness sets in.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GTOBOY View Post
Nah, I was just thinking that it's one of those things that is easy to skip and think to oneself it'll be fine if I don't this time Which is just a bit of normal human I don't wanna work type attitude that is most often found among teenagers(Do I HAVE to???) So I was just throwing the semi comical things I say to myself when laziness sets in.