Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2014, 05:13 PM

Default Can't upgrade to 6.7 LE?!

My Protools digi002 rack had stopped communicating with my powerbook G4 (giving me error message that device was in use by another program). After reading many posts on what to do, and having no success with removing & reinstalling various drivers and other programs, I wiped my mac clean, reinstalled the OS, and reinstalled Protools.

The problem is that I was running at least version 6.9, but I only have the program disc for 6.4 and there is no downloadable update for 6.7. I can't resolve the communication problem with my digi002 until I get to version 6.9. And I can't recall how I upgraded to 6.7 being that I don't have any program disc. I did verify that I upgraded to the minimum OS for 6.7-6.9.

If I can't get this resolved, I have about 25 projects that will go to the graveyard! Any help would be much appreciated.

I saw a copy of a mail-in form that users allegedly used to request a program disc for 6.7, but I'm assuming that Avid is not offering this anymore?

Pretty insane that I have the original software and matching hardware from Digidesign but can't access my project files.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:37 PM

Default Re: Can't upgrade to 6.7 LE?!

I don't have a solution for the Protools version issue, but concerning the Digi002 Rack, this sounds like the dreaded but common power harness issue. The power harness issue on Digi002’s and Digi002R’s is a known problem and is easily fixed. The interface doesn’t connect and the red mute light stay’s on while soft clicking is heard inside. It is caused by oxidization on the connection points on the wire harness. Simply open up the unit by removing the many small screws and wiggle the connections. Avid used to provide a replacement power harness but has since stopped doing so. I think they now direct you to a vendor that supplies the harness for a nominal cost. It's been a long time so I don't know if they still do this.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 07-19-2014, 12:05 AM
Admin Emeritus

I dug around on the knowledge base and the download servers, and there are no downloadable versions of Pro Tools LE 6.7.*

However, you can purchase the full installation disk for Pro Tools LE 6.9.2 from the Avid store:

Pro Tools LE Replacement Discs

Choose "version 6.9.2 for Mac" from the dropdown list.

*As it says on both of these articles:
Pro Tools LE 6.9 for Mac OS X 10.3 & Windows XP
and
Pro Tools LE 6.9.2 Update for PowerPC based Macs on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Quote:
There is no downloadable updater to Pro Tools LE 6.7 from earlier versions, or full download of Pro Tools LE 6.7, 6.9, or 6.9.2. The only downloadable updates for these are the Pro Tools LE 6.9 and 6.9.2 updaters for Pro Tools LE 6.7/6.9 owners.
I know this is true, because I wrote those articles, and also was the one posting downloads back then.

There were never any downloadable versions created by engineering for those versions listed, only the updaters and physical installer discs.

Also, Mr. Dragon is correct, there is no longer any inventory left of the 002 replacement power harness at Avid, but you should be able to clean the contacts of the one you have.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Paine View Post
Also, Mr. Dragon is correct, there is no longer any inventory left of the 002 replacement power harness at Avid, but you should be able to clean the contacts of the one you have.
Yes and the old harness is just as good after cleaning.

That said; be sure to clean the motherboard connectors as well (although it is not as easy as dropping the cable connector into alcohol). Once cleaned, you will be a happy camper for many years to come, until you need to redo it :)
Old 07-22-2014, 04:32 AM

Thank you All, this feedback is much appreciated! I'll go the route of ordering the upgrade disc from Avid. The price is reasonable- well worth being able to salvage all of my work.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:20 PM

I attempted to install version 6.9.2 after purchasing the disc from Avid. I get a message saying that version 6.7 needs to be installed first. This lands me back with my original problem- that I somehow need to obtain version 6.7.

Any further help would be appreciated...

thanks
Old 08-12-2014, 07:38 PM
Admin Emeritus

Checking with Avid support to see if they can help sort this one out. Apologies if I gave you bad info on the disc.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:49 PM

My 2 cents, but I would move to 7.4 if you can find someone selling on the used market. It was one of the most stable versions of LE ever offered. Then again, a used copy of 8LE would gain you some solid instrument plugins too(both 7.4 and 8 include Elastic Audio, another powerful extra)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-13-2014, 05:33 PM

DO NOT GO TO 8, 7.4 is the last best version for the PPC chips

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-15-2014, 12:48 PM

Thanks Bruce! The download installed successfully, though it asks for the following before booting:

"Please enter the authorization code provided with this version of Pro Tools. In new systems, the code is on the inside cover of the 'Getting Started Guide.' In software upgrades (which would apply to my case?), the code is on the inside cover of the 'Updating Pro Tools Guide."

I don't believe I have either at this point, though funny enough I have four registration codes that came with four free plug-ins Digidesign provided when I bought my Digi002. I think I've lost the spiral-bound manual that came with my system.

Is there anywhere in digital documentation this code would reside?

thanks again!