Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 07-01-2010, 03:38 AM

Default jumping to hd2 192 from le

I currently use pro tools 8.0.1 sp2 le on windows and will be receiving a hd2 192i/o on wednesday.
I have my computer optimized for version 8 pro tools and everything works fine,will they be any thing I need to consider when I get my hd version of pro tools 8?
Can someone tell me about how to hook it up when using the control 24 and the big ben?
Also I have a glyph 80 gig external hard drive for my music files.
Will that remain the same?
I'm so confused about this hook-up,I hope Ill catch on quickly,and start hearing a noticeable difference in the sound.thx in advance
Old 07-01-2010, 07:46 AM

Default Re: jumping to hd2 192 from le

Can you be more specific about what you're hooking up, and what kind of computer you have? Also, I don't think LE and HD software can be on the same computer. And what HD core card system do you have?
Old 07-01-2010, 08:27 AM

Mainly the control 24 to hd2 192 interface clocked with the big ben is what i need to hook up.
I'm on windows xp and I will no longer use pro tools le when my hd2 come's in.
I'm just needing to know if it's an easy transition from le to hd2 on the same computer.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:42 AM

It sounds like you may not be understanding what an HD system is. It's a completely different system with different requirements. It may not even work on your computer. You don't mention what computer it is, so we don't know. A 192 interface is part of a system and will not work without HD core cards, which only plug into PCI slots on your computer.

The control 24 does not hook up to a 192, it hooks up to a computer via ethernet. The big ben does not hook up to the control 24 or the computer, it hooks up to the 192 via word clock bnc.

It would really help if you listed exactly what equipment and computer you have.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:52 PM

No offense intended here, but with the apparent lack of tech knowledge, it would be well worth paying a pro to come set it all up

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-01-2010, 08:03 PM

No pro's in batesville arkansas.I'll get it sooner or later.thx
Old 07-02-2010, 09:13 AM

Having gone from LE to HD and also looking at your responses I can tell you this: be very careful and please read the manual. In fact, if you can purchase a used pc off craigslist and move your internal drive over and start form scratch with a new drive that would be better. This will allow you to continue working if you have problems. The HD2 system has two cards with a 192 i/o. The cards are inserted into the pcie, pcix or pci slots (depends on what you have and what you bought) of your system. There is a flex cable that will run between the core card and accell card (inside the pc) and a cable running to the 192 i/o that is external. This is the basic setup.

Your 192 i/o will not have any connections (no XLR / no quarter inch / etc) or pre-amps like your LE system. You will have to purchase cables (at least $100 a pop) that give you input and outputs connections usually through XLR. Word of caution please don't purchase the quarter inch version of these cables ..especially being a beginner....I know their cheaper but that's just my advice. I ran into a grounding issue with the 1/4 inch cables that went away when switched to XLR. You will need at least two. One for the inputs. One for the outputs. There are no "main outs" like your LE interface. you can use the outs on your control 24 or outs 1 and 2 direct from your 192 i/o. Using the input output ports of your 192 i/o requires additional cabling IE DIGI snake. If your coming direct from the 192 i/o (ports 1 & 2) you will need to go to an amp then to your monitors. Mics / instruments will need pre-amps as well and those do not come with an hd2 system. you can go cheap but that really defeats the purpose of running HD, though I must admit I do have a few channels running through cheap pre-amps.

As already stated your control 24 connection is via ethernet but you can also plug up outputs / inputs to and from the 192 i/o. Assuming your clocking to your big ben your going to need to cable that up appropriately and setup the software to clock externally.

Install a fresh version of your operating system (check compatibility guide) and install pro-tools from scratch. I'm not sure what the recommended Operating System is as I run a mac. This is after you register, install ILOK drivers, etc. In fact you probably want to download 8.03 if your install dvd doesn't come with 8.03 on it. Run a digitest and see if you can see everything. Install your plugins. They can be TDM and LE. Your external hard drive may or may not work well with HD. I'm assuming its fire wire and in most cases your OK. Don't use "green / eco-friendly" hard drives. Do alot of testing.

Now this part is important. Unlike LE / there many things that need to be setup software wise (hard ware too for that matter) on HD. Read the manual, call digi, post questions here and pray some nice person answers them. For example: Voices, Latency, Cores, Are you going to be running more RTAS plugins than TDM, What you are recording, level setting the system (+ or -), setting up input / output ports, clocking, etc. Download the control 24 manual / setup instructions and HD 192 i/o manual setup instructions in advance and skim through them, especially the setup / configuration parts. Again this is just general information as I don't know what your setting up, recording, etc. There are multiple ways to setup do things in pro-tools. Figure out how you feel comfortable doing things and set it up appropriately. Go to pro-tools training or at least purchase the book and go through it. I'm sure I've missed some things so read the manual.....
Old 07-02-2010, 03:48 PM

Yes I'll probably have to get a new computer or motherboard.I'm gonna try to use what I have now when it come's in next week.
Like building a house I guess,add,add and add till ya get it set up.

I'll read all instruction's ,I was just trying to get a head start on some of the pitfall's other's have experienced.thx
Old 07-23-2010, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4hd View Post
No pro's in batesville arkansas.I'll get it sooner or later.thx
Batesville, Arkansas?!? How cool, man. I lived there for a couple of years and my wife is from there. You're right, though, definitely no HD studios (or any real pro audio for that matter) in Batesville. I made the jump from LE to HD about a year ago myself, so I can help with any questions you might have. Pretty seamless, actually, but you do have to be a little more familiar with the i/o setup menu in ProTools. If you can get the cards installed in your computer, you have the hard part done. Everything else is cake with a little help. Let me know if you have any questions, and I will try to get back on here and answer them for ya. You brought back some memories..........Man, I kinda miss Batesville haha!

Mac Pro Rack (7,1) 16-core 3.2gHz Intel Xeon W
OSX Catalina (10.15.4)
8TB Mac OEM SSD System Drive
(3) 1Tb 7200rpm audio hard drives
192Gb RAM
Radeon Pro Vega II Video Card
2 Avid HDX Cards
2 Avid 8X8X8 HD I/Os; 2 Avid 16X16 HD I/Os
PT Ultimate 2020.3