Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-28-2007, 07:34 AM

Default Pro Tools classes

Hey, I am pretty new to protools, started this summer in teaching myself. I don't really plan on making this more than a hobby, but would love to learn as much as I can about the software. Does anyone know of classes I could sign up for in Manhattan? I am really looking for something like a weekend class, maybe an intermediate level since I have a basic working knowledge of the software at the moment. Also, if you know, things like cost, materials I would need, etc. Thanks for your help in advance!
Old 11-28-2007, 07:39 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools classes

Here is a list of Pro Tools training facilities:

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...43&langid=100&

I'd call the one closest to you and they will be able to give you all of the info you are looking for.

Best of luck!
Old 11-28-2007, 08:37 AM

I worked for a training center that has a facility in NYC. I won't say which, but on that page you'll find very few that operate in my location and in NYC

I can tell you that one of my good friends is an instructor up there and he's awesome. You can take that opinion knowing that I no longer work for the company, so there's nothing for me to gain. Good luck!
Old 11-29-2007, 12:31 PM

Thanks for the help. How do these classes compare to some of the 3rd party dvd tutorials that are on the market? It seems like the classes can get rather expensive compared to the 30 or 40 bucks per dvd. Thanks again
Old 11-29-2007, 12:49 PM

It's really 2 different things. A two way conversation when you have a problem is infinitely more efficient than trying to navigate a manual or search out an answer. There are some great DVD's out there (there are some terrible ones too), so it's worth a look. In fact, the Method One DVD comes with the system and is definitely worth the time to watch and absorb.

Not every person is capable of learning from a DVD and some self paced practice.

A classroom environment works well for MOST people.

The only nearly perfect solution is to hire a personal tutor who can spend time with you one on one, working thru what YOU need to do to get YOUR job done.

Of those three statements, which one do you think costs the most? Yeah, the personal tutor is going to cost more money ($500-$700/day), but it's the most efficient. A DVD is cheap, but you may not get everything you need out of it in a very efficient way.

I didn't mean this to be a longwinded post about Pro Tools training, but that's what it's turned into. Sorry about that.

I guess the compromise between cost and efficiency is the classroom environment. For my money though, I'd try the Method One DVD and Digidesign's Pro Tools 101 Courseware. THEN you'll be more prepared to get some work done and have a much better foundation if you need to get further training.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:54 AM

Yeah, I agree with Sean. There's nothing like hands on training. But if your new to Pro Tools there's plenty of starter books to choose from and the DUC for asking questions. School might be over kill as the classes start at 1k. I have the Pro Tools book from Denise Franz which I think is really good. Also, Electronic Musician Magazine has a Pro Tools 7 mag specifically put togather for the novice. This comes with a CD with plenty of pics and examples. The Method One DVD is good also. I got mine with Ignition Pack (pre PT7) and found this very helpful.