Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2018, 11:45 AM

Default USB MIDI devices not recognizing in meter or tracking

Hello. First time post as I've been trying to search Google for solutions to my issue.

I'm having trouble getting Pro Tools to record USB MIDI. This was working previously but since I moved and had to reset up all my stuff I can't seem to get Pro Tools to recognize my MIDI devices, register input in the meter or track any MIDI. I have 2 USB MIDI devices (Korg K49 keyboard and Alesis DM6 electric drums) that I have connected to my computer and this issue is happening with both. Both are recognized in Windows and I can see them listed in the MIDI Studio settings within Pro Tools. I've created a MIDI track for both input devices and a corresponding Instrument track (that i'll put either Xpand or Superior Drummer on). In the past I was able to arm the MIDI channel and could trigger the MIDI sound libraries through the pads or keys but now I can't even see the meter registering MIDI hits. I'm stumped and I feel like I've tried everything. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:57 AM

Default Re: USB MIDI devices not recognizing in meter or tracking

I don't think it is necessary to use both Midi and Instrument tracks. I use Instrument tracks only. Are you record-enabling the tracks? This is necessary to get sound even if you are not ready to record.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:01 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I was record-enabling them and remembered that being something I had to do when I tried to get them to work. I was speaking with a friend on this who seemed to be struggling similarly and he noted that if he actually recorded it would track MIDI sequences but he couldn't hear them when just the tracks were record-armed.

I'll try with just the instrument tracks. I've noticed I can only set 1 MIDI track to record at a time, even with multiple MIDI devices plugged in and connected.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:23 AM

Whenever something fails after the rig being moved, I immediately suspect connections. But, since you say Windows sees the devices, the next thing is; are both devices setup properly in Pro Tools>setup>Midi>Midi Studio?(its not enough that windows sees the hardware, PT needs to as well). In deed, there is USUALLY no need for a midi track to be used WITH an instrument track(but there are exceptions)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-15-2018, 09:39 AM

I think it might be compatibility issues with ProTools 11 and Windows 10. I had the Win10 Creators Update pushed on me a few weeks ago and that might have broken functionality, as Win10 is not fully supported with my version of ProTools.

https://www.reddit.com/r/protools/co...i_controllers/
Old 03-15-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigplaysbass View Post
I think it might be compatibility issues with ProTools 11 and Windows 10. I had the Win10 Creators Update pushed on me a few weeks ago and that might have broken functionality, as Win10 is not fully supported with my version of ProTools.

https://www.reddit.com/r/protools/co...i_controllers/
Hello,
that is not very likely. Most everything even developed for Windows 7 works fine on Windows 10. I support a lot of systems with PT 11 (11.3.2) and have no issues.

Typically I use an app called UsbDeview. Unplug the midi devices. Must run it "Run as Administrator", then when open, I delete any drivers related to the problem, so you midi interface drivers. Then when you plug them back in, they will reload the driver. This happens sometimes when devices get moved around to different USB ports.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-15-2018, 04:58 PM

That Windows update might well have messed with settings, so you should review as many as you can remember, ESPECIALLY, the Power Management feature on USB ports(that update turned that feature back ON for SOME of my USB ports, but not all. I discovered it when a USB drive kept disconnecting while backing up files). Also, I had to re-install the driver for my midi interface(an iConnect 2x2).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave