Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiltrator View Post
100% irrelevant to the scientific facts presented regarding hardware performance and specs. Stick to the facts. You do not have any knowledge about whether my room acoustics, miking techniques, mics, or other equipment.
I think you misunderstood the statement - b/c I didn't take it quite like I think you took it
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Black Lion OMNI Modification any good???

and with 2" tape some people prefer different machines
some like Studer, some Like 3M, some Ampex machines, and some don't care as long as its functioning properly

my only issue with they guys is they will not post before and after test results of there work, you have to take it on blind faith
to me that's snake oil salesmanship

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-31-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
my only issue with they guys is they will not post before and after test results of there work, you have to take it on blind faith
Which I understand but even if u hear it it's going to be very subjective - like splitting a penny 3 ways - which one is more valuable ??
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:18 AM

My point is that if you're that insecure about the stock Digi/Avid converters why not simply go for proven superior converters in the first place? There are plenty of recognized options to choose from the likes of Lavry, Prism, Mytek or Benchmark. You could also add Metric Halo, Lynx and Apogee to that lot.

You might also consider that the resale value of the modded unit might not reflect the money you'll sink into it.

Good luck.

Darryl Ramm
Old 01-01-2013, 06:36 AM

Ideally someone who has EXPERIENCE with the mod in question would chime in and give their view of the differences they've EXPERIENCED with the mod.
Personally, I get a little tired of the "I'd concentrate on better techniques, blah blah blah" answers in response to specific questions asked by curious posters.
The dude wants to know if the mod is worth the money.
Black Lion has done great work in the past with mods, and the Omni might actually benefit from some modding?
Better converters are better converters, regardless of whether you have the perceived "correct" bass traps.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundcontrol View Post
My point is that if you're that insecure about the stock Digi/Avid converters why not simply go for proven superior converters in the first place? There are plenty of recognized options to choose from the likes of Lavry, Prism, Mytek or Benchmark. You could also add Metric Halo, Lynx and Apogee to that lot.

You might also consider that the resale value of the modded unit might not reflect the money you'll sink into it.

Good luck.

Who ever gets back 100% from an investment when reselling?
The OP's question is/was simple: is the Black Lion Omni mod worth investing in.
Seems like the replies should come from folks who've had it done, as opposed to from folks who feel a need to make others feel like they're asking the wrong questions.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:56 PM
zolko

Yeah, if he can not believe to scientific facts, send him to youtube to hear the difference. Black Lion magic is even louder :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29ztJWlBDbg
Old 01-11-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
to me that's snake oil salesmanship
We go on blind faith with most the stuff we buy or from someine telling us how good it is; & that is still "faith" rite?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwells View Post
Ideally someone who has EXPERIENCE with the mod in question would chime in and give their view of the differences they've EXPERIENCED with the mod.
Personally, I get a little tired of the "I'd concentrate on better techniques, blah blah blah" answers in response to specific questions asked by curious posters.
The dude wants to know if the mod is worth the money.
Black Lion has done great work in the past with mods, and the Omni might actually benefit from some modding?
Better converters are better converters, regardless of whether you have the perceived "correct" bass traps.
I';; chime in on'eim ejay

I myself got 2 mods done to my 002 back in 2007, then 2009; I did it in 2009 because I was so blown away @ what they had done with the 1st mod in 2007, so after my blind faith had come to pass, it was a no brainer to mod again although I by that time had much better converters all around; what they say is all fact; what they do is all good; if one wants to try it or upgrade their gear to better, what does that have to do with the blah blah blah like ejay said?

Anywayz, "I shalt not stay away from thee DUC this long ever again

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 01-11-2013, 05:47 PM

like I said it's my grip
they talk tech but won't show hard proof
if you have a microphone repaired or modified by a reputable shop, you get a measurement report back with it, usually done on an Audio Precision box
personally I want the same from anyone talking as much as they do, every thing they talk about is measurable

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-11-2013, 08:54 PM

Default Black Lion OMNI Modification any good???

Maybe they could keep a modded loaner for evaluation purposes.

If I'm interested in something my dealer have a few contenders shipped to me for evaluation/comparison. Like a good pusher, he knows it will be very hard to send the good stuff back...

Darryl Ramm