Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 06-12-2010, 03:50 AM

Default Re: Best foot controller for use with Eleven Rack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgt621 View Post
Ha! sounds so old to me now.

Well then you already know what to expect. The Eleven Rack is like carrying around a personal box of Eleven awesomeness and more.

But really to get the most out the 11R, you need an awesome controller. But in the meantime, while you decide, you can buy a dual foot switch (i.e. Boss FS-6), or two foot switches with a Y cable, and connect it to your exp pedal/ext ftsw jack. You can set this up to linearly scroll through rigs, and most likely you can add the footswitch to most MIDI controllers on the market. The trade off is you won't be able to use the wah's with a standard exp pedal (they use the same jack). But, most guitarists have wahs already, and they work great placed in front of the 11R. And that should keep you going till you buy an awesome foot control solution.
Yes indeed I do already own a wah, (with auto engage no less) so I will use that for now. I also have a 3 button footswitch that connects to my current amp via a trs cable, so I shall see what that can do for now as well.

Keep any info coming, it is useful
Old 06-14-2010, 04:00 AM

Thumbs up Re: Best foot controller for use with Eleven Rack?

Last week I bought a Gordius Little Giant 2.
To me that is the best controller for 11R (or any other fx)
Totally programmable. Not to big, very good build quality and a very, very good customer support. (I mean really good!)
Also the manual is very good. (with examples on how to program it)
and there is a pc editor. I was told that the mac editor is on it's way.

bottomline: small company -> great service + great product.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:41 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm a new 11R owner and I have been unable to set up my (Ancient, first edition) Ground Control pedal to control my 11R.

The issue is this: in the GC you have to enter Numerical values only for program/preset locations and the 11R uses an Alpha-Numeric system to label the rigs/presets. (A1, etc) So how do I assign strictly numerical values to the rig presets? The manual lists all the CC numbers bit totally omits this essential info for presets changes. Do I have to manually convert them so that a1 = 01 a2 = 02 etc?

I have written to Voodoo Labs to see if there is a software update available for the pedal that may remedy this situation but haven't heard back yet. In any event, there must be some sort of numeric system to change rigs.

Ground Control to Major Tom....Any help would be most appreciated!

Cheers, JD
Old 08-15-2010, 03:02 PM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco

I believe the 11R presets uses Program Change messages, as opposed to CC messages. Try something like A1 = PC 01, A2 = PC 02, etc.. So as long as your Ground Control can send the program change messages, you should be all good.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 08-17-2010, 08:01 PM

The 11R uses both, I just don't know how to access the program change commands. I'll try doing the conversions and see if that works, but it seems like a glaring omission from the manual, which I find to be poorly written & organized to begin with.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCrow View Post
The 11R uses both, I just don't know how to access the program change commands. I'll try doing the conversions and see if that works, but it seems like a glaring omission from the manual, which I find to be poorly written & organized to begin with.
You should be setting up which program change is sent via the Ground Control, the 11R should just recieve it, at least thats how i have it set up with my Roland FC-300. Here's a little something i quickly grabbed from the GC v.2 manual:

Assigning MIDI Program Changes
̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄
Use the [SELECT] buttons to choose each of your MIDI controlled devices. You will see the names of each device that you entered in Setup mode. It will look something like:
TRIAXIS - 18
↑↑
Device Name Program Number
Now enter the number of the program you want for each device. You can access any program from 0 to 128. For example:
Notice that there is a slight delay when you select programs 10, 11, or 12. This is because the Ground Control is waiting for a third digit in case you wanted programs 100 through 128.
Note: The Ground Control automatically filters redundant program changes when Presets are recalled, to avoid audible glitches.
You can also instruct the Ground Control to not send a MIDI Program Change. How you do this depends on whether your device numbers programs from 0 to 127, or from 1 to 128 (see "Start Number" on page 11). To not send a MIDI Program Change, do one of the following:
• If the device starts at 1, then choose program 0 by pressing [0] [0].

• If the device starts at 0, then choose program 128 by pressing [1] [2] [8].
When no program is selected, the display will show "--" instead of a program number.

hope that helps.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 08-22-2010, 08:18 PM

Thanks Madgt, Unfortunately, I have to tell the ground control which program/patch/preset I want it to select when I'm setting up a preset on the footswitch. I may want preset Y3 on the 11 but the GC only accepts numbers. I'm gonna work with it tonight and see if I can figure it out.

Cheers!
Old 08-22-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCrow View Post
Thanks Madgt, Unfortunately, I have to tell the ground control which program/patch/preset I want it to select when I'm setting up a preset on the footswitch. I may want preset Y3 on the 11 but the GC only accepts numbers. I'm gonna work with it tonight and see if I can figure it out.

Cheers!
Figuring out which PC number corresponds to the the presets in 11R's user bank is easy. For example: A1=01, A2=02, A3=03, A4=04, B1=05, C1=09, etc. in that fashion.

You can use a simple math to figure out the PC of the corresponding preset. Here's the equation i use: ((µ) x 4) - (Ω) = PC# (greek letters are variables)

µ = the number of the letter of the preset according to a 26 letter english alphabet. i.e. A=1, B=2, C=3, J= 10, T=20, Z=26, etc.

Ω = a number corresponding to the number of the preset name. (1-4) i.e. 1=(3), 2=(2), 3=(1), 4=(0).

so if you are trying to figure the PC# for the preset that is "Y3", it goes like this:

"Y" is the 25th letter in the alphabet, so in this case, "µ" = 25.

since the number in the preset name is "3", "Ω" = "1"

now the equation looks like this:

(25 x 4) - 1 = PC# in this case, the PC#="99".

Put down PC 99 in your GCP and when you press that GCP patch, it will call up "Y3"

It's really easier than it looks. Trust me. No need to have it all mapped out for you.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 09-21-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgt621 View Post
Figuring out which PC number corresponds to the the presets in 11R's user bank is easy. For example: A1=01, A2=02, A3=03, A4=04, B1=05, C1=09, etc. in that fashion.

You can use a simple math to figure out the PC of the corresponding preset. Here's the equation i use: ((µ) x 4) - (Ω) = PC# (greek letters are variables)

µ = the number of the letter of the preset according to a 26 letter english alphabet. i.e. A=1, B=2, C=3, J= 10, T=20, Z=26, etc.

Ω = a number corresponding to the number of the preset name. (1-4) i.e. 1=(3), 2=(2), 3=(1), 4=(0).

so if you are trying to figure the PC# for the preset that is "Y3", it goes like this:

"Y" is the 25th letter in the alphabet, so in this case, "µ" = 25.

since the number in the preset name is "3", "Ω" = "1"

now the equation looks like this:

(25 x 4) - 1 = PC# in this case, the PC#="99".

Put down PC 99 in your GCP and when you press that GCP patch, it will call up "Y3"

It's really easier than it looks. Trust me. No need to have it all mapped out for you.
EEEEK, Math!

That is indeed the way it works, I finally got it to send the correct program changes, but I'm going to end up buying the Ground Control Pro or something else more advanced b/c the old GC can't command the individual effects within a rig even with the $100.00 upgrade they have for that pedal. Craigslist, here I come!
Old 01-15-2011, 08:30 PM

Recently I managed to use an old Digitech RP-10 effects pedal as a midi foot controller for Eleven Rack. I bought that pedal in 97. I'm amazed how MIDI interfaces survived for such a long time!