Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 02-16-2020, 07:39 AM

Default Frozen files

I didn´t find a good explanation from a ref guide or from here, how PT is handling frozen files. I was understanding, that after you unfreeze a track, PT automatically deletes rendered file. However, it seems, that that is not a case. PT keeps those files in rendered files-folder. As I understood from some posts here, this is a future....not a bug. There were a explanations to this feaature, but I didn't fully understood the reason, why PT keeps these files. In a complex session, the rendered files-folder can become a very large and fill up my SSD-drive.
Ok, probably there is a good reason for this. In that case, there should be at least to be a way to manually delete those files. But I am not aware, how to do it. I can see all rendered files in finder, but not in workspace-window. Workspace is only showing the active files in a session, but not old versions.
So, am I missing now something or is this really the way it should work?
Old 02-16-2020, 07:46 AM

Default Re: Frozen files

You can always remove files by yourself, better that way and not let software decide you want it removed. On the clip list on right, there is a right-click option to select unused and then you can remove from session or delete from storage.

Few files shouldn't be a problem given today's storage capacity. IMO it is just good the commit files are left over in case I decide to use them after all. So this is just basic file management you should learn anyway.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:17 AM

The simple reason is for Undo. You unfreeze a track accidentally and want to re-freeze it. But now one of the plugins is no longer on the system. If the freeze had to be recalculated it wouldn't work with the missing plugin. Some people freeze tracks, then move to another system. So while this is scenario is not common, it is not an isolated situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride2 View Post
I didn´t find a good explanation from a ref guide or from here, how PT is handling frozen files. I was understanding, that after you unfreeze a track, PT automatically deletes rendered file. However, it seems, that that is not a case. PT keeps those files in rendered files-folder. As I understood from some posts here, this is a future....not a bug. There were a explanations to this feaature, but I didn't fully understood the reason, why PT keeps these files. In a complex session, the rendered files-folder can become a very large and fill up my SSD-drive.
Ok, probably there is a good reason for this. In that case, there should be at least to be a way to manually delete those files. But I am not aware, how to do it. I can see all rendered files in finder, but not in workspace-window. Workspace is only showing the active files in a session, but not old versions.
So, am I missing now something or is this really the way it should work?
Old 02-16-2020, 09:11 AM

Well, there is no option to select unused files. Just to select all. So, I don't find any way in workstation-window to see or select unused files. I can see or select just active files.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:14 AM

This is a RTFM thing but okay, I'll bite...

On your Edit Window, the Clip List is on the right. There is a triangle for your options. Click it, hover to Select, then choose Unused.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:02 AM

I am sorry....I understand your frustration, but are you really saying, that edit windows clip-list is the place, where should make FZ.wav rendered files management? Whatever I do, I really don't find any of those frozen files from that list.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:18 AM

That way you can find any audio file that:
a) is in the clip list
b) is not used in the timeline
Old 02-16-2020, 10:44 AM

Well, whatever I do, those frozen files doesn't exist in edit windows clip-list. Maybe I am missing some point now. I really though, that management of the frozen files should done in workspace-window. I have to come back to this tomorrow with better time. Thanks anyway.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:09 AM

Please, could someone concentrate to this issue once more.
I really can't find any word from manual about how PT handles frozen files.
Edit windows clip-list DOES NOT show frozen files....I am 99% sure about it. Of course there can be error, bug etc, but whatever I do, in my system those FZ.wav files are not visible. On the other hand, the list shows Commit files (cm.wav) just fine.
But back to the original problem. Why Workspace window shows only active rendered fz.wav files? As I wrote erlier, the active files are visible, but old ones (not active) are not. Those old ones are however visible with finder...so they are there for sure. Could someone try this and after own experience, write a proper way to handle unused frozen files.
I understand this undo-feature and why PT keeps old frozen files. However, it would be nice to have also option for automatic "delete unused freeze files" function.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:12 AM

Anybody....