Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 03:36 AM

Default Clipping Advice

Guys!

Would love your help.

Okay....Im using a Digidesign 002 Rack with Steinberg Nuendo.

Im composing an arrangement with around 12 instruments.

Im being really careful for each track to get the highest signal-noise ratio BEFORE reaching 0db. So all my input levels on all the audio tracks are fine.

Here's the problem.

If I play each audio track on their own......none of them clip.

BUT......when I play them together, it clips the Stereo Master OUTPUT of the Monitors.

Can someone please give me some advice?

Im obviously missing something, or pardon my ignorance, but is it really this hard to stop clipping on the MASTER OUTPUT when your song is playing?

Is there any tricks I can learn with stopping clipping when all my tracks are playing back together?

Any advice at all would really be appreciated by me.

Thank you.

Simon
Old 11-24-2005, 03:41 AM

Default Re: Clipping Advice

Try grouping all your tracks together, hit play and then bring them all down by an equal amount to stop the clipping. As far as I am aware it's a bit like when you have one violinist he's fairly loud but if you have 30 violinists it's REALLY loud. It all adds together.

Come back to the dark side and use pro tools. Better mixing and summing I believe.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:17 AM

Hey protein!

Love the name!

Mate thank you so much for your help.

Im new to this. Ive been sweating it out trying to stop my recording from clipping, and Ive got that on each track, just when all together - bang! - on master out it clips.

Ill take your advice.

I only have Pro Tools LE that came with my 002R which I believe is limited to 32 audio tracks.
Because Im doing orchestral stuff, my audio tracks really blow out because some instruments Im splitting up into several audios which peak past 32.

Thanks again.

Simon
Old 11-24-2005, 08:54 PM

sh336697

Quote:
I only have Pro Tools LE that came with my 002R which I believe is limited to 32 audio tracks.
Because Im doing orchestral stuff, my audio tracks really blow out because some instruments Im splitting up into several audios which peak past 32.

Thanks again.

Simon
We hear you there, have you filled out one of these and I take it that your familiar with this

filosofem