Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-15-2004, 03:23 PM

Default OT - Mackie 1202-VLZ 12 Mixer and PT LE

Alright, so being in need of a challenge I have picked up a new mixer for the studio from a friend. it is a Mackie 1202-VLZ 12 and I am attempting to find the most logical solution to hook it up and be able to mix sessions in PT. Basically it is a 12 channel mixer, and I know of course that I will not be able to do 32 channels like PT LE has like I would want to, but it is a start.

I am currently running a PT MBox in the room at home I am setting this one up in and was wondering if it is possible to set up mix sessions with the MBox to the point I would be able to control channels on PT LE 6.1 on the mixer. I am thinking for starters that I might want to do the control room outs into the SPDIF in's correct? This way it would not take up channels on the MBox for plugging things in.... or would I want to run the two main outs as XLR's into the two channels of the MBox? Bleh... I am probably making more of a complex situation out of this than nessecary which is why I have never set up a mixer on my own yet and have mainly been focusing on learning the software as I go through sessions and what not. hehe

Just as a starting point for the mixer configurations and what not, I read through the mixer manual and it was semi baffling to figure out the easiest way to interface with the MBox.... I am thinking that I need an HD system and a bigger mixing console to accomplish what I am really looking to do which is have analog controls at my fingers and not have to use the mix window in PT that often correct? Thanks in advance for any clarity. I have also been considering one of the automated mixers out there just to let you all know that I've been researching, but this mixer is on loan somewhat and I'd like to do with what I have for the mean time.

Charlie
Old 08-15-2004, 04:28 PM

Default Re: OT - Mackie 1202-VLZ 12 Mixer and PT LE

Hi, you'll be able to Track with it as you record into PTLE, using the preamps on it and the Direct outs into the MBox pres. This will give you the ability to EQ as you go into PT. Other than that, the MBox pres are probably better than the Mackie's. The Main Outs are for speakers, I prefer the Monitor Outs for my monitors.

If it was me, I'd Ebay it just as I did my 1642.

Also, you will not be able to control any PT features with it.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:30 PM

How much better are the MBox pres compared to your everyday mackie units? I've never asked, but have heard the question before.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:37 PM

The MBox has Focusrite mic preamps (of course not top of the line), the Mackie has medium grade pres that are sort of darker.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:59 PM

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I am looking to upgrade a bit down the road, but a friend was gracious enough to let me use this one for the time being which beats out my current situation with no mixer otherwise in my home setup. In the studio I am working for otherwise though we run an Allen Heath which is pretty decent.

Do you happen to know if there is a way that I could bypass the Mackie's pre's if I wanted to use my Focusrites and vise versa? I don't see many options on the Mbox of course, and I imagine that I will still have to run the focusrites regardless, but if I could use one or the other it might be better.

As for a darker sound on the Mackie's, do you mean just as far as dithering goes, or more aiming them towards use on a rock band instead of a singer/songwriter type deal? I haven't noticed much difference in messing with them so far, but then again I am only 6 months on in working in this stuff and am getting my "ear" for things yet to be honest.

If I really had my way.... I would still have a Neve...
Old 08-15-2004, 07:52 PM

I'm still training my ears also, but what I hear is that the mackie pres do not have as much top end clarity as my Presonus Digimax or the OSA L3 ( Neve 1073) pres that I currently use.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:37 PM

Hey Keith, I actually did a couple of test runs between the Mackie pre's and the Focusrites on the MBox the other night and it is like night and day honestly after listening to the Mackies first and then the Focusrite. I think I will stick with mixing digitally for now in PT and send the mixer packing back to my friends place until I can save up and get something decent here. Good looking out on the sound though man. peace

Charlie