Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 07-13-2018, 10:58 PM

Default MDW EQ 5 Sale

Hello all. I have been looking at getting the MDW EQ5 for quite some time. Avid finally has it on sale for the first time possibly ever, but at least a long while. It kind of gets things in the ballpark of reasonable. I must say I am disappointed that they only did a 40% sale on DSP but a 50% on Native. I think I want to buy MDW in AAX DSP but it’s pretty hard to justify a $200 difference, but then if it’s Native only then I am also far less interested. Plugins are just so cheap these days even $350 seems like a LOT to spend on one plugin, especially a static EQ. I remember just a few short years ago that was much more palatable and normal but plugins are becoming such cheap commodities now. I was really surprised to see MDW on sale because I thought Avid and MDW had pretty much given up trying to sell the thing anymore. Anyway...

Does anyone have thoughts they would like to share on the sound of MDW vs the other best static EQs out there in 2018? I own Equilibrium (& Equality DSP), Pro-Q2, Sonnox Oxford EQ HDX + GML, everything from Plugin Alliance, Softube, McDSP, IK Multimedia, Izotope, Slate/Eiosis and on and on. Lets assume the only EQ Plugin in the world I don’t own is MDW. I am pretty sure every base has been covered and then some with my arsenal of insane over-abundance, but for some reason the MDW keeps sticking in my mind. Maybe it’s just some sick and unexplainable plugin (esp AAX DSP) collection syndrome. Talk me off the ledge, or not. Why is MDW amazing?

PS It’s kind of frustrating when there is this legendary plugin that is super expensive but doesn’t even have a demo.

PPS Keep in mind I am on Mac and I could care less that it is mostly broken on Windows.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:13 PM

Default Re: MDW EQ 5 Sale

MDW has been "broken" on Mac for a long time and feels more or less abandoned for development (don't believe me, look at the last release dates; it was last "updated" Feb 2015.)
I'm talking AAX-DSP and native. I've had it since almost the beginning up to the latest. It's a good EQ if you are keeping it fixed but don't bother with automating it. Pops in and zipper noise.

I'm still annoyed that they have not continued fixing the bugs. I'm not surprised it's on "discount" seeing as there's been no updates or fixes for so long -- the MDW software team seems to have moved on or quit.

Honestly, I wouldn't spend money now on it. You've got your bases more than enough covered (DMG, Sonnox, and FabFilter do it all with two of those as AAX-DSP).
Old 07-14-2018, 07:17 AM

I have it as well. It's a great eq, but not as stable as I would wish. I do hope we see a major update soon.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 07-14-2018, 10:20 AM

I sold all my licenses for MDW EQ DSP and Native a time ago and never looked back.
Its been one of the best EQ 10 years ago but now they are too late with fixing bugs and new features.

Not worth the money when we have DMG and Fabfiler. Even though the DMG has some automation bugs and they still can't hold the full screen mode, its years ahead of MDW in everything.
Fabfiler has more frequent updates and for me its bugless.
So when you compare these too and suddenly MDW jumps with its 40% discount....well sorry but today I wouldn't bother getting back to it even if they were absolutely free.
So Avid might be welcome to include it in their all bundle distributed with PT ultimate purchase plane for free.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 07-14-2018, 11:56 AM

I have it and use it on almost every track on every session and have no problems with it. That said I never automate it.
IMHO the isopeak function is the best. Can’t work without it.
It’s also aax-dsp which is a big deal for me.
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS
Old 07-14-2018, 09:15 PM

Well one thing is for sure, this plugin is very divisive! It has its fans that swear by it and those who want nothing to do with it. Thanks for the comments so far. For the fans like Will, have you tried replacing Mdw with other plugins and you just weren’t able to get the same kind of result? Anyone else have any thoughts on the matter?
Old 07-18-2018, 11:22 PM

I have used MDW EQ5 on Mac in both PT 10 and PT 2018. HDX-3

no problems. use it on almost every mix.

DSP and iso-solo are very important to me.

rock solid.

fwiiw.