Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 03-06-2021, 06:04 PM

Default Pro Tools First Data Loss

I worked on a file last night for several hours and saved it before I closed it. Signing back in today presented me with a file with my track layout PLUS a Master Fader duplicate track but no data. All the recording that I did last night is missing. Is there a way to recover the data?

Steve

Mac Mini M1
Big Sur
Old 03-07-2021, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools First Data Loss

I’m not sure exactly where it is on Mac, but in your Documents folder, look for a Pro Tools folder. In the PT folder there will be a Project Cache folder; which is where your local project is stored. Go through the cryptically named folder and find a folder named Audio Files. If your files weren’t wiped out, you should find the unprocessed files there. I would copy those out somewhere safe, then create a new project. You can drag the wav files into the new projects tracks and recreate what you did.

When working on a cloud project, it is very important to have the Task Manager window open so you can see the status of you project being synced to the cloud. You find this in PT under the Window menu. Open task manager, then close your project. Wait until all activity has finished before exiting PT.

Good luck

System Details
Old 03-07-2021, 03:28 PM

At this time i would not recommend to use Pro Tools First on a Mac M1 for important work , because it is not compatible in any way. I use PTF 2020.9 only for testing and in 99% only for local projects. Do not sync via cloud, because it is highly unstable with Pro Tools First!!!!

Better wait until a Pro Tools First Version comes with at least Big Sur Compatibility - better Big Sur and M1 Silicon. I don't expect this before September 2021. Would be glad when it comes earlier

Best

MacBook Pro 13, Mid 2012, 10 GB, 250 GB Crucial MX
macOs 11.6.5 / Windows 10
Wavelab Elements 11

Music was my first love - shine on
Old 03-07-2021, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pribyl View Post
I worked on a file last night for several hours and saved it before I closed it. Signing back in today presented me with a file with my track layout PLUS a Master Fader duplicate track but no data. All the recording that I did last night is missing. Is there a way to recover the data?

Steve

Mac Mini M1
Big Sur
Yes but this sort of horrible instability does not seem rare for Pro Tools First cloud projects. There are hundreds of threads on DUC about how flakey this stuff is. I would not be trusting any work to Pro Tools First or Pro Tools Cloud Collaboration, on an officially supported system or not. And I just do not get why anybody else would take these risks. Or get why Avid does not either address all this or kill this mess of a product.

I have Pro Tools 2020.12 Standard running fine for me with a few minor things (One BIAS FX2 plugin compat issues I saw were addressed by plugin vendor updates, one very minor GUI bug--a minor Big Sur issue), on my M1 MBP. And that's discussed in multiple threads on DUC. But again, it's not officially supported, YMMV, test carefully and be paranoid.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
I’m not sure exactly where it is on Mac, but in your Documents folder, look for a Pro Tools folder. In the PT folder there will be a Project Cache folder; which is where your local project is stored. Go through the cryptically named folder and find a folder named Audio Files. If your files weren’t wiped out, you should find the unprocessed files there. I would copy those out somewhere safe, then create a new project. You can drag the wav files into the new projects tracks and recreate what you did.

When working on a cloud project, it is very important to have the Task Manager window open so you can see the status of you project being synced to the cloud. You find this in PT under the Window menu. Open task manager, then close your project. Wait until all activity has finished before exiting PT.

Good luck
Will, I found the folder and there was a large file in it, but nothing titled "Audio Files". I think the main issue is just lack of compatibility with the M1 chip. Thanks for the info about the Task Manager window. This was news to me!

Steve
Old 03-07-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Yes but this sort of horrible instability does not seem rare for Pro Tools First cloud projects. There are hundreds of threads on DUC about how flakey this stuff is. I would not be trusting any work to Pro Tools First or Pro Tools Cloud Collaboration, on an officially supported system or not. And I just do not get why anybody else would take these risks. Or get why Avid does not either address all this or kill this mess of a product.

I have Pro Tools 2020.12 Standard running fine for me with a few minor things (One BIAS FX2 plugin compat issues I saw were addressed by plugin vendor updates, one very minor GUI bug--a minor Big Sur issue), on my M1 MBP. And that's discussed in multiple threads on DUC. But again, it's not officially supported, YMMV, test carefully and be paranoid.
Thanks, Darryl. I'll stick to GarageBand for the time being.

Steve
Old 03-07-2021, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netmania View Post
At this time i would not recommend to use Pro Tools First on a Mac M1 for important work , because it is not compatible in any way. I use PTF 2020.9 only for testing and in 99% only for local projects. Do not sync via cloud, because it is highly unstable with Pro Tools First!!!!

Better wait until a Pro Tools First Version comes with at least Big Sur Compatibility - better Big Sur and M1 Silicon. I don't expect this before September 2021. Would be glad when it comes earlier

Best
Thanks, Netmania. I'm done with PT1 for now until things are fixed.

Steve
Old 03-07-2021, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pribyl View Post
Thanks, Darryl. I'll stick to GarageBand for the time being.

Steve
Good call. I didn’t need to mention I have Garage Band and Logic Pro running great on my M1 MBP (and Intel MBP). Apple does a great job with building an easy to use and productive personal DAW with Garage Band and it integrates well with Logic Pro if you want to go there in future. Pro Tools is great if you are working in audio, but Pro Tools First seems a mismanaged train wreck.