Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2008, 01:34 PM

Default Backing up Audio Drive (External) and External HD Question

Hi everybody,
The external HD I'm using for my protools sessions is starting to make some noise. I'm affraid it's geting ready to crash.

I wanted to ask if creating a disk image is a reliable way to back it up in case it crashes?

Does that backup all my audio files as well?

Next question:
It's been a while since I bought an enclosure and drive. What's the good ones at a good price o get these days?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Backing up Audio Drive (External) and External HD Questi

I swear by Super Duper for backing up all my

work. It is brilliant for Cloning a startup drive as well as while you are working on a project (where it has an archive feature that

will keep every file that you have created in a session as well as a clone of the session folder on 2 separate drives. For you it

will create a clone of your dubious drive, but do it quickly!

Remember, if your data is not in 3 places it is not backed up.

I have been successfully using a RAID drive with 2 500GB drives stripes as a single 500GB redundant array. If one drive dies

then the drive will re copy the data from the good drive to a new drive when you replace it. You can even record this way. The

case I use is a Taurus I am in Australia so these

are easy to get from a number of suppliers, I make sure they are populated with reliable drives (I like seagate drives myself).

This seems like a very practical and reasonably safe way to go. But drives are not really what you can consider backups.

I had a client that brought some data back to us to work on last week, on a drive he bought from ebay! Needless to say I spent

several hours recovering the data, from what was obviously an old laptop internal drive slapped in a nice shiny new case.

You have to ask yourself what you would pay if you lost your data. Drives are inexpensive now there is no excuse for this sort

of thing to happen.

hope this helps

Simon L.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:42 AM

Default Re: Backing up Audio Drive (External) and External HD Questi

Thanks for the info and advice.

I must appologize, this thread should have been posted in the "Pro Tools LE Mac" area. Sorry!