Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-21-2004, 07:58 AM

Default Why do so many hate iLok...whats the scoop?

Hello friends,

I was thinking of getting an iLok to try out some of the Bomb Factory demos, but I have noticed how many seem to dislike this thing.

What's wrong with it? Is there something I should know, or should I just go and get one?

Apple
Old 02-21-2004, 08:03 AM

Default Re: Why do so many hate iLok...whats the scoop?

I think one of the complaints was that if you lost the key, it was a big hassle. I heard this maybe 2 or 3 years ago so don't know if a quick solution has been implemented by the company since then.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:32 AM

Here

Waves wants an iLock with no other authorizations on it. I had a huge hassle with the iLock getting authorized partly because I have Factory Bundle authorizations on my iLock already.

Loose your iLock = Loose your plugs. Loose your money. The iLock is supposed to be handy if you go between different computers. I only use one. There may be issues even having the plugs installed on different computers if the iLock is not in place. You may have to reinstall the plugs each time you move. Because it seems they have set up the Pace Protection to lock you out of the computer if the plugs are still installed and no authorization is present.

I'm all for software developers protecting their product but Waves, at least for me, has protected me out of what I bought. Current problem It'll get straightend out but I still am mad mad mad.

John

Old 02-21-2004, 08:47 AM

John, wow wee, I don't like the sound of that. I read your posts.

I'm just tempted to try out the bomb factory demos, but maybe it can wait until the protection technology gets better. Then again, maybe its just with waves that this has been so much hassle. I wonder if the other companies have sorted it out.

Thanks for sharing that info.
Apple
Old 02-21-2004, 08:58 AM

Try out the BF plugs. I really like the LA2A compressor. My BF plugs came with my 001 / Factory package and I never had any issues before Waves. I think it is a Waves deal.

When I get this Waves mess straightened out I'll be installing my "Free BF" plugs!!!!!

John