Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 09-18-2015, 11:29 AM

Default Print audio from Midi Track (not Instrument Track)

Hello, I am having a problem...I have searched and experimented ad nauseam.

Using an external midi device, an EPS16+ sampler to play 808 sounds, it seems I HAVE to use a Midi track. The controller is my Axiom 49 sending midi out to the external sampler. The sampler's Audio Out is going into my Apollo Twin. All good, can record and playback midi no problem, just have to designate USB on or off in my Axiom 49 keyboard controller.

I want to print my midi to audio in pro tools. I have tried using Aux, Instrument, and Audio tracks with all appropriate routing. I can't Bus midi, my only output options are the Axiom or other VI's I have on other Instrument tracks. So no going to an Aux or an Audio track.

As the sound of the external sampler is going into my Apollo, I thought I could just have it routed to an Audio Track's input and there it would be. Not so. Nothing there. Why?

I can route an Aux track to play the sampler's audio but it is extremely late/behind the session tempo, extreme latency. Very unusual to me but maybe that's normal? How do I compensate and on which device? Pro Tools or Apollo? But as there is audio on that Aux track I tried bussing to an Audio track, but there is no sound appearing on the Audio track.

Hope this makes sense! Thanks for any help
Old 09-18-2015, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Print audio from Midi Track (not Instrument Track)

You keep the MIDI routing as it is. Create an audio track that has its input(s) set to the input(s) that your external synth is plugged into. Then you record onto that track.

If you're not getting any activity on the audio track, make sure it is record-armed.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:14 PM

Thanks for the reply mesaone. I believe I've done that and that's why I'm so confused. It might be some idiosyncrasy with the Apollo software, Console, where all the audio routing happens before it hits the DAW. I'll try again though.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:31 PM

Do meters move on that input from your external box? On the interface front panel, in the Console app and in Pro Tools?

Still stuck.. post screen shots here of the UAD Console and Pro Tools that clearly show the track IO Inputs and include the Setup>IO Input page.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:09 PM

Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 4.06.32 PM.jpg
Old 09-18-2015, 02:29 PM

Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 4.06.57 PM.jpg
Old 09-18-2015, 02:48 PM

Darryl, meters moving on Apollo hardware, the Console software, but not on the Pro Tools Audio track. But what I can do is route the audio from the external sampler directly to an Audio Track via Console no problem, I just play the keyboard live, not sequenced. But it won't play from Midi Track. So it has to be internal Pro Tools routing, I think.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:55 PM

And here's the I/O on PT

Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 4.54.35 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 4.54.23 PM.jpg
Old 09-18-2015, 03:04 PM

Can't read anything in those first two screen shots. Can you post larger PNG not JPG flies? What track is the synth input supposed to be on in Pro Tools?

Your Playback Engine is set to the Apollo? And everything else works OK right?

Why is the Setup>IO showing aggregate IO? Are you using that or the Apollo? What exactly is Setup>Playback Engine set to? It should be the Apollo *not* aggregate IO. Then in Setup>IO Go to each page select all the IO paths. Click delete. The click Default. Now go back and set up all the track IO inputs and outputs to be what you want them to be.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:10 PM

How did you connect the EPS?

Midi in and midi out? You need both in order to play back from the external sampler otherwise you will only hear the record play, not playback from the EPS.

And of course sound cconnected from output to input on the audio interface so you can hear but i guess you already have that sorted.

PS. We have an EPS16+ sampler for the true "bitgrit" sound on drumsamples and ypu might need to turn the "omni" on or off depending on your settings now. That is in the midi menu in the EPS16 so let is know.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————