How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2014, 05:16 AM

Default Progress Update!

Hi Group,
Just a quick update on my progress of transitioning from Cubase on a PC to Pro Tools 11 on a iMac.

iMac: I got the iMac all set up with no problems at all. I was surprised at how easy the set up and updating to OS X Mavericks was. I have to admit, much more of a pain on a PC! Everything is working as expected with no glitches. I am a happy camper!

Pro Tools 11: I have Pro Tools 11 installed and had absolutely no problems! Wow, this is a first. Activating my copy with iLok was a breeze and was totally seamless. The only glitch was after installing Pro Tools, I noticed that I had no Virtual Instruments. After searching the posts on DUC, I found that was a separate installer package, and went back and installed the VIs! Thanks group for the shove in the right direction!

Alesis Q61 MIDI Controller: Installing the MIDI controller was a breeze. All I did was plug it in! At first I didn't think it was installed it was so fast. I went into the Audio and MIDI set up from Applications group, and low and behold, there it was. I was able to create an instrument track in Pro Tools 11, assign a virtual instrument to the track, add some MIDI data via the controller, and even output the track to an audio track with no difficulties!

Phonic Helix Board 18 Firewire MKII Audio Interface: I got my Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter in yesterday and hooked up the Phonic to my iMac. The iMac picked it up right away and it appeared in the Audio and MIDI set up as a new selection and it added it to the Pro Tools Aggregate selection as well. When I go into Pro Tools, I can see it as both a new selection and as a sub of the Pro Tools Aggregate. When I select the Aggregate as my Engine, I don't see any of the Phonic inputs when selecting the input of a new audio track. I also tried selecting the Phonic as the Engine I get the same thing. It only shows the default internal mics.

Before I start crying for help, I am going to search the group and do some additional research because it is most likely a dumb newbie mistake I am making, and there may be a post already out there. If I do shout out for help, I will be sure to give a more detailed explanation of the issue to include all the specs of my hardware and software.

In closing, I wanted to say thanks to everyone that has responded to my posts. This is a great community and everyone seems to be top notch. Keep up the fantastic work and continued success to all. Have a wonderful day and as always, happy recording friends!
iMac 21.5 - 2.7 GHz Core i5 - 8GB DDR3 - 1 TB 7200 HDD
OS X Mavericks
Alesis Q61 USB Midi Controller
Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2
-----------------------------------------------
Old 02-17-2014, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Progress Update!

Select the Helix as the Playback Engine, then try going to the Pro Tools I/O and defaulting Inputs, Outputs, Buses and Audition.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 02-17-2014, 05:59 PM

Hi Bruce! Thank you very much for taking the time to post. I will give this a try as soon as possible. One quick question. The Pro Tools Aggregate is supposed to combine all the detected "Core Audio" devices on the iMac and combine them into one Engine you can use in Pro Tools, but I read somewhere (can't remember where) that Aggregate does not work with OS X? Do you happen to know if this is a fact? It would be nice while I have my whole set up on the dining room table getting set up, if I could use the Phonic for the mic inputs and the internal speaker for the outputs. Thanks again for your help, have a great day, and happy recording!
OS X Mavericks
Old 02-18-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilcken View Post
I read somewhere (can't remember where) that Aggregate does not work with OS X? Do you happen to know if this is a fact?
Aggregate audio device is a feature of OSX. Maybe you read that Windows can't do this natively (which is true)

Try what Bruce said. Setup> Playback Engine... and make sure it is set to your Helix. Then go to Setup> I/O... and set everything to default. No need to navigate each page, just hold the OPTION key on your keyboard and click the "Default" button. Every input and output of your Helix should populate the display.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:07 PM

Hi there Mesaone and thank you very much for taking the time to post. Here is what I actually found on Avid's web site regarding Aggregate:

--------------------------------- Begin Paste ------------------------------------
"Mac OS X device aggregation of audio I/O hardware is not officially supported in Pro Tools. While certain configurations may work, they were not tested and qualified by the Pro Tools development team. The only exception to this rule is the "Pro Tools Aggregate Device" that is created upon launching Pro Tools 9 or Pro Tools 10 to provide users of built-in Mac hardware with simultaneous record and playback capabilities."
---------------------------------- End Paste -------------------------------------

That being said, I am just going to select the Helix Board as the Engine and follow your (and Bruce's) suggestion which I am sure will work. As I said, I am a total nob and am trying to make the transition from Cubase on a PC to Pro Tools on an iMac. I have to say that so far, the iMac / Pro Tools is much more impressive and I am anxious to get everything going so I can get it out of my dining room and back in my basement studio! Once again, thank you very much for taking the time to post and help out. Have a great day and happy recording!
OS X Mavericks
Old 02-18-2014, 07:48 PM

Hi all!

I got a chance to work on my gear this evening and just like Mesaone and Bruce said, all I had to do was click the defaults in the Set Up I/O dialog and presto!

All the inputs and outputs appeared and worked as expected. The return send back to the Phonic via the firewire was loud and clear through the headphones.

Recording a track while listening to several other tracks worked fine and I found I can adjust the mix either in Pro Tools or on the Phonic! Bonus!

Just to think I was only one click away from getting totally up and running with out having to cry for help. In any case, thank you very much both Mesaone and Bruce for you help. I could have been pulling my hair out before stumbling on it on my own.

So... Next step? New monitors. I was looking at the KRK Rockets. Any suggestions?
OS X Mavericks
Old 02-18-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
So... Next step? New monitors. I was looking at the KRK Rockets. Any suggestions?
Rokits are okay, but the sound is hyped. For lower-budget setups, they're a decent choice. Have you looked into Equator D5?
Old 02-18-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
...So... Next step? New monitors. I was looking at the KRK Rockets. Any suggestions?
JBL LSR308's.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 02-18-2014, 09:22 PM

Default Progress Update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Rokits are okay, but the sound is hyped.

Totally agree go listen to them at guitar center and you will say the same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
JBL LSR308's.

I got the 305's and they sound great I am just now breaking them in but I haven't turned on my NS10's but a few times since Xmas
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:08 PM

Hey George,
I really like my KRK Rokit 5s. I got them on sale for about $80 each.
I believe that monitors are a place where you can go totally nuts and spend a boatload of money. Great thing if you can afford it. But my little project studio has no acoustic modeling (it's the office space in my finished basement). So my monitors just serve to get the headphones off my ears. Like everyone else, I take my mixes to the car stereo for additional perspective. I make MP3s and play them on my iPhone. Every musician/producer I've ever known does something similar.
They've never made studio monitors that can be trusted without crosschecking them on some other playback source.

That being said, if you can afford the JBLs, go for it.