Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room

Old 10-19-2011, 03:35 PM

Default A better drum machine plug-in than Boom please

Hi guys, hope your recording is going well.

Question. anyone has a suggestion ? I'm using Boom, and think it's to simple. I'd like stuff like a reverse crash, a reverse snare, more, more, more... I love the way it's built, an emulation of the TR-808 i was told. It works great, but it's to basic. So i'd like to know if anyone knows about an awesome similar drum machine plug-in. I found Arturia's The One, and that's the top, and solves the question for the synths, allowing to learn about the history of synths. I'd like to find something has good for bass, though Hybrid and Xpand are great too.

Thanks.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:07 PM

Default Re: A better drum machine plug-in than Boom please

Check out Native Instruments Battery 3. It's way beyond Boom and has all the great sounds for electronica/hip hop/techno/pop, etc., plus built in effects and ways to manipulate the sound.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:28 AM

Check out the Native Instrument lineup... They have great software instruments.

As for drum machines in particular, kind of depends on what you want. Do you want an old school sequencer or something with pads like the MPC's? Very different things. Rob Papen's Punch is an advanced sequencer-styled drum machine. If you dig into the whole groovebox territory you have Fxpansion Geist. And if you want hardware to go with your plugins you can look at Maschine and Spark.

Lots to choose from!
Old 10-20-2011, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff View Post
Check out the Native Instrument lineup... They have great software instruments.

As for drum machines in particular, kind of depends on what you want. Do you want an old school sequencer or something with pads like the MPC's? Very different things. Rob Papen's Punch is an advanced sequencer-styled drum machine. If you dig into the whole groovebox territory you have Fxpansion Geist. And if you want hardware to go with your plugins you can look at Maschine and Spark.

Lots to choose from!
Hey,

No, i definitely don't want pads. That's what i love in Boom : the sequencer. Does Battery 3 work with a sequencer, the 16 beats thing ?

Thanks guys.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:54 AM

Check out izotope idrum. There may be a demo. http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/idrum/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2011, 04:10 AM

I have been using Strike. It's amazing. Watch Phil Jackson's demo on you-tube, this plug has literally replaced my need for a real session drummer. There is no guess work, all of the drum samples were recorded at Black Bird studio in Nashville in HD, so they are really great, I have had countless other session players ask me "Who's the drummer". Now being a bass player, that's a huge compliment. The sound library is massive, and you can totally customize what you hear, mix kits, grooves, you can even alter the feel, groove and complexity of the patterns you create, or the patterns that it comes with in real time. You can then port each drum and cymbal to a separate track like real drums. The mix section is mind blowing, you can alter the positioning and level of mics, mix in room, overhead, and talk back mics Once you get your head wrapped around this marvel of technology, you will never look back.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:24 AM

Battery3, that was mentioned, is a wonderful drum synth but it is not a plugin. There are quite a few options out there, all which are pretty wonderful in their own ways. Personally, I've always been partial to Superior Drummer. While it too is a pretty amazing drumsynth, it does provide a full featured drum machine built-in and is pretty awesome.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:41 AM

Battery 3 IS a plugin, just like Kontakt, Massive, and all the other NI instruments.

Unless they've changed something in the last year or so. It's been a while since I used it.

The other suggestions are good also.

By the way, Brad, it's good to see you on the forum again. It's been a while and I was just wondering the other day where you've been.

Looking forward to your discussions about tonight's announcements.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Battery 3 IS a plugin, just like Kontakt, Massive, and all the other NI instruments.
Yes, but doesnt it have to go through the Kontakt interface ?
Maby thats what he ment ?
Old 10-20-2011, 10:23 AM

It's been a while since I owned it, but from what I remember, it's got it's own interface, and you can split out the channels just like other drum programs, or like Kontakt.