Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-29-2011, 10:37 PM

Unhappy Recording a click track causes audio files to print early?

Hey all, I was testing out protools 9 for latency issues and came across something curious...
When you record a click track internally with any high latency plugins on the session, it causes all audio to be recorded early.

Is this a known issue? I know about midi tracks and plugins on the master fader but this surprised me.

For my test I had:
1 aux track with a click plugin going to bus 9.
1 audio track with bus 9 input going to analog output 1.
1 audio track with analog input 2(a loopback fed by analog 1 out) going to analog out 2.

Now with the two audio tracks recording the click is recorded internally to the first audio track and at the same time goes out channel 1 and back in channel 2.
Since my protools and delay compensation is working correctly both are recorded in the same place.

Great!
Here's the weird part, to simulate a real tracking session I added a dummy reverb aux input that has a bus 1-2 input and 1-2 analog out but has nothing feeding it.
I put a high latency reverb plug on this aux input.

So now the first audio track records the click internally and it is in the right place.
The loopback channel now records the audio early by the amount of latency the plugin has.(In this case 2,000 samples early)

Again, nothing is feeding the reverb aux so I'm surprised it would cause an offset. There are no master faders or midi tracks in the session.

I tested this on protools 9 and 7.4 and it is the same on both.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Recording a click track causes audio files to print early?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubtful guest View Post
Hey all, I was testing out protools 9 for latency issues and came across something curious...
When you record a click track internally with any high latency plugins on the session, it causes all audio to be recorded early.

Is this a known issue? I know about midi tracks and plugins on the master fader but this surprised me.

For my test I had:
1 aux track with a click plugin going to bus 9.
1 audio track with bus 9 input going to analog output 1.
1 audio track with analog input 2(a loopback fed by analog 1 out) going to analog out 2.

Now with the two audio tracks recording the click is recorded internally to the first audio track and at the same time goes out channel 1 and back in channel 2.
Since my protools and delay compensation is working correctly both are recorded in the same place.

Great!
Here's the weird part, to simulate a real tracking session I added a dummy reverb aux input that has a bus 1-2 input and 1-2 analog out but has nothing feeding it.
I put a high latency reverb plug on this aux input.

So now the first audio track records the click internally and it is in the right place.
The loopback channel now records the audio early by the amount of latency the plugin has.(In this case 2,000 samples early)

Again, nothing is feeding the reverb aux so I'm surprised it would cause an offset. There are no master faders or midi tracks in the session.

I tested this on protools 9 and 7.4 and it is the same on both.
Do you have "compensate for input (and output) delays" checked in I/O setup?
Old 03-29-2011, 11:37 PM

Default Re: Recording a click track causes audio files to print early?

Yes.

Everything is fine until I add a reverb aux track to the session and then all audio tracks print early.

I tested this on my HD2 and my 002R.

Is this a bug in the Delay Compensation?