How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 04-11-2019, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2019 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niilo Nuori View Post
What Should Avid Do About Pro Tools Now? Production Expert Podcast Episode 364: https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...nnectors-4fyw9

Discussion starts at ~5 mins
oh it starts right off at 5:00 with AVID's museum piece HDX system, holding back Pro Tools software development.

Followed by the wish to open up te 32 I/O limit of ProTools Ultimate software without HDX/HD Native. I guess that won't happen any soon, since it makes totally sense a €2299,- piece of Software with €428,- annual support plan costs for that software should have limits. Limits that a piece of software costing $199,- from the App Store, lifetime updates for free, doesn't have.

Too bad Pro Tools works like no other DAW works. Even worse that AVID knows that.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDorn View Post
...starts right off at 5:00 with AVID's museum piece HDX system, holding back Pro Tools software development...
Put Engineering and Software development aside, struggles to fit 384 voices into 256 slots means something has to share, queue or predict (scan). Hmmm!
Old 04-12-2019, 02:37 PM

There was a time (about 15 years ago) when Phillip Morris (the makers of Marlboro cigarettes) found they were getting beaten out by new independent boutique brands. They first tried to raise their price to match but after an analysis of loyalty and brand elasticity they realized they could drop the price of Marlboro and get their share back and then some. They did and it worked.

I do wonder if Avid ever did the research to see if a large drop in HDX price would be made back by increased demand. Of course I don't know what the costs are.

Unless there is a technical reason I see no reason why not to open up to more voices without HDx. HDx with an interface is a great digital mixer in it's own right.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
There was a time (about 15 years ago) when Phillip Morris (the makers of Marlboro cigarettes) found they were getting beaten out by new independent boutique brands. They first tried to raise their price to match but after an analysis of loyalty and brand elasticity they realized they could drop the price of Marlboro and get their share back and then some. They did and it worked.

I do wonder if Avid ever did the research to see if a large drop in HDX price would be made back by increased demand. Of course I don't know what the costs are.

Unless there is a technical reason I see no reason why not to open up to more voices without HDx. HDx with an interface is a great digital mixer in it's own right.

C

HDX is vintage technology outperformed by 2019 computers big time. It definitely is a great digital mixing system but it should have been made to date like all technology to prevent what happens now: its 2011 tech limit is keeping back (speedy) development of the Pro Tools software that’s still the industry standard.

Of course all the post production houses and bigger studios that love to use pro tools are still using HDX. Dolby Atmos on Pro Tools Ultimate without AVID HD hardware, and so 32 I/O , good luck...

This is what the AVID strategy of making such a closed pro system in terms of channel and voice counts -still relying on 2011 hardware technology- has led to.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2019, 04:30 PM

It really depends on what "outperformed" means. There are applications where it still is the best solution according to people I know who would love to go native and who don't need HDX for more i/o or voices. Myself, I went native back in TDM daze and never looked back. HDX was never simply a TDM replacement which confused lots of people.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
It really depends on what "outperformed" means. There are applications where it still is the best solution according to people I know who would love to go native and who don't need HDX for more i/o or voices. Myself, I went native back in TDM daze and never looked back. HDX was never simply a TDM replacement which confused lots of people.

No one was ready with AAX-DSP, Waves and many others never decided to develop aax-dsp plugins and up until today still only a few third party companies make AAX-DSP. When I track with an Apollo I sort of imagine what a HDX system with a great feature set of almost latency free dsp based plugins could have been.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:49 PM

HDX- days are numbered. Its coming.

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 12.7.2 Monterey,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:55 PM

Sonnox, Metric Halo and, of course, Avid were on HDX right out of the door. The major developer who didn't support it was Waves.

You are comparing apple to oranges because there weren't nearly as many Pro Tools plug-in developers back then. People selling today's $50-$100 plug-ins can't be expected to pay for DSP coding.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:31 PM

My best investment in music gear was to skip HDX after many years with TDM and buy a Native system. It saved me a lot of money - and if nothing happens soon I will save on my subscription next time.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS-DK View Post
My best investment in music gear was to skip HDX after many years with TDM and buy a Native system. It saved me a lot of money - and if nothing happens soon I will save on my subscription next time.

Still wondering what Eddy meant with the subscription discount of 30% in the S6 forum. At least they could do that after releasing no update for such a long time and also admitting that they are in technical crisis because of stone age hardware cards.