Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room

Old 01-14-2010, 03:27 AM

Default advice real drumming, midi drumming boom/strike ?sequencingin

So I used to be a real drummer and am using PT to record my songs( guitar based and poetry).

I had built and electronic kit using a Alesis D5 and piezo pickups in some remo practice pads and I still have the d5.

So in terms of advice. I am thinking about getting some ddrum triggers and playing my drums in real time through the d5, using the midi out to go into PT to build a midi map. Then editing timing (my chops are rusty :)) and triggering samples either within PT or the D5.

I know about Boom and Strike but haven't used either and have little experience with sequencers so far but want to learn.

Whats your take on all this ?

Thx!

Matt
Old 01-15-2010, 12:52 PM

Default Re: advice real drumming, midi drumming boom/strike ?sequencingin

Hi Matt... another drummer here who plays guitar/writes music... you've lots of options... restricted only by budget.

If you already have a kit, triggers & a module, then you already have what you need. Set up the D5 as a midi device in "peripherals" in PT. Open an instrument track in PT. Insert your drum plug-in (Strike etc). You might need to manually map each trigger ("learn midi") in the PT session first, but after that, you just save the session as a template & you're good to go.

A couple of months back, I invested in a Roland TD12 & Superior Drummer 2... while it's an expensive solution, it works beautifully - no need to set anything up, it's all done automatically. It sounds phenomenal. I can't recommend that set up enough... it's plug & play in the best sense!

Best of luck whatever you decide

Hardware
21.5" iMac 2.5GHz i5 24Gb (mid 2011), 003 rack, Roland TD12KV, Command8, Axiom 61,
Maxtor OneTouch4 FW/750Gb/16Mb/7200rpm (audio/session drive)
WD 1TB MyBook Studio (backup)

Software
OSX 10.13.6,
PT2018.12.0
Old 01-15-2010, 01:28 PM

And don't forget about Structure. It's got some really nice drum & percussion samples (& you can get many more from RussUK's AIR Users Blog), which you can either pencil-tool in by hand or play in real time with a MIDI keyboard.
You can then quantize to fix any sloppiness or adjust the "feel" -- swing, hanging back in the pocket, etc. -- or move the MIDI notes around at will to change the performance. I like to mix the Structure sounds with BOOM patterns to get a nice dense rhythm. Cheers

-------------------------------------------

'Wave of the future, Dude. One hundred percent electronic.' -- J. Treehorn
Old 01-15-2010, 05:56 PM

I use a Roland TD10 kit to play ezdrummer and SD2 all the time. It works great. I also have drummers(as I am NOT a drummer) use real cymbals and hat with the same kit and that is over the top for me. Great sound, excellent editing and very little fuss.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-18-2010, 04:45 AM

Hey albee1952,
thx I ordered the ddrum triggers yesterday and use real cymbals and have an MS mike I built from a kit in Recording magazine. So best of both worlds, nice real stereo file of real playing on the cymbals and a little real drum sound for ambiance or roll it off with eq plus the real playing for the midi map and then trigger sounds that sit well in the mix ! I'l check out sd2!
Old 01-18-2010, 04:47 AM

hey thx,

I ordered my ddrum tirggers and was checking out structure thanks for the recommendation.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:24 PM

I had my drummer play on a Roland electronic set. We recorded a stereo channel using the left and right audio outputs and at the same time recorded a midi channel using the midi outs. I then used both the audio track with the midi track triggering a BFD set. It made a great full sounding drum line.

mess around with mixing the two together to get the sound you want.

Have Fun. Exploration is half the fun. (Twice the work)
Old 01-18-2010, 04:20 PM

Can you send out midi to individual midi tracks at a time with a roland v-drum kit?

I have a midi and aux track for each part (snare, kick, hats, ride, one for all toms, another for all crashes). After writing is done, I double many of these to use a different sound and processing. Then everything goes to a master drum fader. Right now I have drumkit from hell samples loaded in multiple instances of Kontakt.

I've been doing drums by drawing midi or using my keyboard. I'd like my drummer to be able to play electronic drums instead and capture what he does that way, at the least.

Is that possible?

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2010, 04:21 PM

btw what I meant in my first statement is whether the entire performance can be sent out at once but to individual midi tracks.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:33 PM

Guitar Slinger,

For what you're doing, you may find it easier to record to one midi track, then afterwards, split the notes to new tracks and do what you want.

But you may not even have to split them out, because most samplers and drum programs have multiple outputs, and you can do individual aux channels from them with whatever plugs you want. Both of these methods would be easier, in my opinion.