Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2011, 09:15 PM

Default Using destructive punch?

How many folks out there are nuts for destructive punch?

I hadn't tackled too many mixes that taxed my HD3 but had one coming up and adopted a workflow similar to this video except with everything in one session. Worked an absolute treat.

Basically left the DP track at the top in Input monitor mode was punching in as I mixed a stem, on breaks etc and when switching over stems just making the individual tracks feeding the stem inactive and making another stem active and switching it to input monitor.
Made fixes easy and quick and managed to really push the rig beyond 200 tracks easily and in a workable way.

Obviously the beauty of DP is using it on a second rig in transport record lock as a dubber, but hey, one rig is enough for my business currently and it still really helped the workflow.

Is this common? Who else is using DP, or are you mainly working in automation and just rendering a mix at the end/for handover/deliverables?
Old 04-10-2011, 11:02 PM

Hi

I use destructive punch all the time for my sessions to record D M E Vo M&E and FullMix stems concurrently as I mix. I do not need another vid sat system as my work is primarily TV and my HD3/Mojo combo works well for me.
I have been testing the Neyrink VMon plugin to monitor my stems to get around ProTools shameful lack of decent monitoring options to as it is cheaper than an analogue monitoring switcher and a wireman! I have been very impressed and will buy this. It works nicely with my SPL surround monitor controller.

Happy days (as long I remember 2 sec pre roll and 1 sec post roll - which my brain needs as much the software to avoid clicks).

Cheers

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 04-11-2011, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Using destructive punch?

Hope this is not a thread jack, but when you guys use DP, lets say you are printing your stems and the session is 90 min long and about half way through you notice for example something was a little too hot. So you stop and fix it and go back a few seconds and DP in. Now when it's all done, the spot where you punched in has a silence, VERY small, less than a frame (maybe a 1/4 of a frame or less even). But none the less it's a complete drop out. This happens everytime for me.
Anyway around this? Anyone else get this too?

Old 04-12-2011, 09:58 AM

Default Re: Using destructive punch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
Anyway around this? Anyone else get this too?

Use a few seconds of preroll when punching in and that won't happen.