Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2013, 09:21 PM

Default Re: We need a Thunderbolt HDX system

Quote:
Originally Posted by corp View Post
Typical Windows crap argument against Apple who started with computers and keeps looking forward but I guess you have Windows 8...Lol ....maybe Avid can come out with a Linux version .......Lol
lolwut

Look at my system specs, dude.

I refuse to run Windows for my DAW. I'd much rather Apple just release OSX for 3rd party systems already. I'll still take a self-built tower over anything else at this point, but I prefer OSX for audio work.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 09-03-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Typical Windows crap argument against Apple who started with computers and keeps looking forward but I guess you have Windows 8...Lol ....maybe Avid can come out with a Linux version .......Lol

When Apple releases their new MacPro which will show large quantities sold in turn help Avid sales because that's how the food chain works.

Apple knows how to make money and Avid knows how to lose money....

Avid Technology 5.41 and keeps going down.......
Hmm let's go back to the root of osx.. oh yeah based on Unix.. and what is Linux.. but an extention of Unix.. what are you laughing about again?

Secondly, a history lesson maybe? What happened when Job was pushed out of apple? they almost tanked, he got back in and pushed forward toward the small consumer product Ipod first, then the Iphone, Ipad then, reducing their efforst into the desktop computers, mainly in the bread and butter that saved them when they were tanking, the pro community. And now, it's unknown if it's actually Job's or his successor who came out with this trashcan Idea, but it's oddly familiar to Job's cube. In any case, Job's who pushed Apple back to succes is no longer there, and it leaves a lot of questions opened as to the vision of where apple will be going.

I remember in 97 Job was talking about his vision and how to cater to customer, to bring out the benefits they (apple) had to the customer and not sit down and look at what awesome technology they had and then try to market it. That was exactly how Job worked for the Ipod, Iphone and Ipad. But with the trash can, it became the complete opposite. "look at the brand new tech" more of a untested market technology pushed forward down a higher line of customers that have greater needs than consumers. Had they kept inline with his vision, they would have carefully listened, and added thunderbolt yes, but not taken away what the professionals needed and forced them into a nightmare of wires.

Wave-T.com
Old 09-04-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
I can't help but laugh my ass off that you just put these two in the same sentence.

One is an engineer with a huge track record and one is.....
Doesn't matter, they are just examples of the variety of people that love the software and pcie cards that prefer other AD/DA.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
No problem.......two different interfaces just like Avid has presently one with A/D D/A and one without .........

You better move out of your house.......
You know what they say about assuming...the difference is I don't feel like an ass, but you sound like one assuming you think you know me and where I work from and the level of my professionalism. The point I was making is that if they made an all in one Thunderbolt interface, how much can they fit inside that single box? How expandable could it be? How much daisy chaining will they allow? How long before somebody gets bored with just 1 or 2 Avid interfaces and they want to be able to add 3rd party interfaces (analog or not) to their systems? Then people will be back on here begging Avid to upgrade the single interface to a 64 I/O interface with included pre-amps mini connection ports, ADAT, 36 processors per box, blah blah blah which will be the size of a SSL 9000 to just fit all requirements inside if it, that will cost them an arm and a leg then they will cry about that.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
^ That.

Took Apple 4 years to make a new Mac Pro, but they'll give you a new phone to buy every year. Plus, with how proprietary the new Mac Pro is, it might as well be a glorified iPad.

I still prefer OSX for audio production, but I'm probably never going to buy another Mac at this rate. I've had a number of my friends asking me to help them build machines like mine over the last year, because Apple's current direction doesn't show signs of actually caring about the Pro market anymore.
No disrespect whatsoever but I remember people saying their G5's would be the last mac they needed to buy.

The issue is that software is becoming more demanding and to way that apple's new Mac Pro shows signs that they don't care about the pro market makes no sense....considering they've actually created a new product FOR the pro market.

As for iPhones, I couldn't agree more. New size, new colour, blah blah blah BUT that has made the company rich. Not computer sales. If you had the choice of making 10k a day engineering (e.g.) dance tracks or $200 a day engineering something else you loved, what would you do?
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwasserman View Post
If you had the choice of making 10k a day engineering (e.g.) dance tracks or $200 a day engineering something else you loved, what would you do?
Both.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrox View Post
PCIe cards are no longer a valid way to go. That is why Apple has developed Thunderbolt and handed the tech over to Intel. They don't want to keep making big boxes... They don't really want the user to have to open the box AND GET THINGS WRONG! And I don't want to keep carrying big boxes. What is the best computer in the world? The one you have access to.
If Avid had an interface with a card's worth of DSP inside of it, a few mic/lines ins and outs, 1 Thunderbolt cable, well... Doesn't need to be any bigger than a MOTU box, but would be a MOTU box on steroids. I can't believe I am the only one who would think that was a marketable idea... And if you want to have a 3 screen system, then that's also possible with the laptop. Portable, rugged, desktop power in a briefcase.
Apple did not develop thunderbolt
Its always been Intel's Technology.
They only had an agreement that kept windows and other platforms from using it also until here recently.

Sorry , but thats wrong info
Old 12-30-2017, 04:15 PM

a pre built thunderbolt to HDX, with massive, very slow spinning 200mm enclosure fan exhausting air rather than small fan on the card, would be KILLER..

Literally a one cable plug and play..

Imagine if they made it also that it could be added to ANY pt system purely as dsp power, so you didn't need to interface through it and so on. Just a dsp accelerator like UAD, but for aax dsp plugins.

I'd buy one.
Old 12-31-2017, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwrobopro View Post
They only had an agreement that kept windows and other platforms from using it also until here recently.

This is also wrong. Microsoft chose not to support TB until Win10 Anniversary Update. Supposedly due to security concerns. This of course put them well behind.

You're correct that it's primarily Intel's tech, but it was developed in conjunction with Apple and it's Apple's name. Intel called it Lightpeak.

https://www.macworld.com/article/208...derbolt-2.html

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwrobopro View Post
Apple did not develop thunderbolt
Its always been Intel's Technology.

Actually it was available for PC all along but only on a very limited number of computers and motherboards with almost no advertising. Apple's only "innovation" was a dumbed down copper implementation rather than the original high-speed optical fiber.