Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-23-2003, 01:23 PM

Default Importing OMF from Avid PC to PTLE6.2.2 MAC??

I'm trying to export an OMF file from Avid DV express on PC and import it into PTLE (DV toolkit) on MAC. Trouble is that Protools on my Mac sais the "Session file is not an OMFI file or a PT session". So it won't open.

The way I transfered the OMF file was on an External FW drive and it showed up on my Mac desktop and I just draged the OMF file onto my Lacie FW Drive. When I try to import it into PT I get the message.....

How do I get it to recognise the and open the OMF File?

Digi001
(RME adi-8 pro)
G4 MMD Dual 1g + 1.25g RAM
PTLE 6.4 (DVToolkit)
Mac. OS 10.3.3
3 Lacie 80g FW Audio Drives
Old 12-24-2003, 03:52 AM

Default Re: Importing OMF from Avid PC to PTLE6.2.2 MAC??

you could try either finding a copy of digitranslator 1 - running it in classic and using that to convert the omf into a protools session first. Or you could do the same with OMFTool - which is free from digidesigns download site.

There seems to be a problem with DT2 in that its too fussy about the data in the file - if your omf is one sample different in length from what the file says it should be (or so i have read) then DT2 comes up with such a message.
The older version were a bit less strict and hence you might have better luck with that.

I know we have had many similar problems recently and thats been the only way to overcome them.
Old 12-25-2003, 08:17 AM

This is outrageous!!! For a "translator" to cost $400+ and not translate "UNDERSTAND" is simply a rip-off I have a client wanting to output his movie onto my Mac for finishing and we've spent two days F*&%$#NG around with this!

DIGIDESIGN, What's the problem with Digitranslator 2?

I was advised to get DV Toolkit because Digidtranslator IS "BETTER" than the OMF tool (which always worked ok). Now I sit and explain why I can't start his project and get done by the deadline!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FIX IT!

Digi001
(RME adi-8 pro)
PTLE 6.4 (DVToolkit)
Mac. OS 10.3.3
Old 12-27-2003, 08:38 AM

I open omf files from an Avid DV Express running on a PC all the time, using dv toolkit 6.2.1 on a Mac, and have not seen this problem (yet..) What kind of external FW disk was used to tranfer the omf? Was it PC or Mac-formatted?

I have experienced a similar problem when reading files from a PC fat32 drive, but it was solved by simply renaming the file and adding the extension .OMF which had somehow been removed from the file during the transfer from the PC drive. This may be a long shot, but you could give it a try.

All the best and hope this helps!

Espen
Old 12-27-2003, 08:54 AM

Thank you for the suggestion, I will certainly give that a try.

I was using a firewire drive NTFS formated for PC but that's never been a issue, my Mac does not care who's drive it is, that's what I love about the Mac. The PC however is retarded when it comes to cross-platform.

Avid XspressDV (on PC) is also not very happy creating files over 2gb. I know there are certain files that have a 2gb limit like AVI and OMF but even exporting some QT files I recieved the massage: file exceeds the 2gb limit, or disc is full.....when it's not.

Never had that problem in FCP3. also...PC drives formatted with FAT32 have a 2gb limit and AVID XpressDV does not do frame accurate Time Code to tape you need XpressDV Pro for that............what a mickey mouse setup this is on a PC....ARRRG!! and it cost's more than FCP!......... hello.........

Digi001
(RME adi-8 pro)
PTLE 6.4 (DVToolkit)
Mac. OS 10.3.3
Old 03-15-2004, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Or you could do the same with OMFTool - which is free from digidesigns download site.

But OMF TOOL does'nt treat AIFF or WAV files... only SDII, true?
And Avid Xpress DV on Windows XP can't use SDII, true?

Simone Corelli