Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 08-11-2014, 06:13 AM

Default I guess I'm a NO BRAINER!

My recent adventure in to MIDI and ezdrummer 2 has left me feeling mentally inadequate and frustrated because, after initial success with one song I'm back to the drawing board! My Yamaha keyboard,(DGX500) has stopped communicating with PT's 9 and I have exhausted all efforts in setting up MIDI STUDIO correctly! I have followed procedures shown in several You tube videos, all of which differ in some way and I'm at my wits end! Can anyone please help as I so wanted to be able to add real drum sounds to my songs.
I'm on Pro tools 9.0.6, Windows 7, 32 bit. My interface is the Scarlett 2i4.
I'm sorry I can't offer more helpful specs but other than the fact that my pc was purchased at Sweetwater and said to be compatible with all my equipment which was also purchased there, that is all I can offer. Can anyone coach me through this.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:48 AM

Default Re: I guess I'm a NO BRAINER!

I'm replying to my own post since it seems that everyone agrees with my no brainer remark! Today I have successfully created the necessary tracks for my current session with ezd2! The first track, (instrument trk. with ezd2 as the first insert) records as a MIDI track. That's my Kick drum. I now have a Snare track,
(Audio track) with ezd-2 as input! Then Hi Hat (Audio track), with ezd-3 as input, Then Toms (Audio track), with ezd-4 as input. All of the Audio tracks have output left and right as their output assignments. This did not come easy!
I still do not have communication with my Yamaha keyboard but for now I'm satisfied and probably will add more drum tracks as Pro tools will permit! I am writing down the entire process lest it slips my ever forgetful memory. I'm not going away anytime soon! Thanks ,
Old 08-15-2014, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
Attention Moderators! Please remove these 2 posts. Thanks.
Hi,

Unfortunately I'm not a PC user so not much help! if it was MAC i would suggest trashing any prefs regarding midi and re-installing the driver for your midi keyboard. not sure if PC works that way. but i'll try and steer a PC user your way.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:41 PM

Been away for a few days but would love to help(if I can). I need a bit more info first. Exactly how is the Yamaha connected(midi cables or USB) and how is it configured in Setup>Midi>Midi Studio.

Next, I am unclear on how you are running things, so here's what works for me. 1 stereo Instrument track with EZD inserted in slot A(labeled Kick)
In the EZD mixer window, I set each track(leaving kick on output 1 as default), so Snare goes out 2, Hat goes out 3, etc.

Then I add several stereo AUX tracks and set inputs to the EZD outputs(so Snare goes to the first AUX, Hat goes the the next, etc.). At this point, I have drums spread out on separate tracks. Assuming the instrument track is set to receive on ALL(which it would be by default), putting it in record(or record-ready) should give sound when the proper note messages are sent by the Yamaha(or ANY midi device that is configured in Midi Studio).

BTW, in Midi Studio, there are a bunch of settings to make, but really, ONLY the midi input port(or path) is the crucial one. When you create a new instrument, you can select the brand and model from lists, but you can leave them blank. But, you MUST select an input for midi info(if the Yamaha connects via USB, then you would select YamahaUSB(Emulated) or something to that effect. If that is not an available choice, then you should re-install the Yamaha midi driver. If you have midi cables(from the Yamaha) connected to a midi IO(on the Scarlett, or some other midi input), that midi connection would be what you would select in Midi Studio(while drums/percussion traditionally get assigned to midi channel 10, you can leave all channels selected(in blue) until you have to feed more instruments, or until you have more midi sources(but let's try to get this one thing working first). Maybe post a screen shot showing your Midi Studio config? That might reveal the issue

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-16-2014, 06:05 AM

albee1952. Thanks so much for offering help. I will attempt to work my way through your answer step by step by offering any info that might help you diagnose this issue. I'm hooked up via midi cables from the Yamaha DGX500 to the 2i4, out to in/in to out. The cables are new. The 2i4 is USB powered but I'm not using a USB/MIDI adaptor nor do I own one. MIDI studio setup is as follows. (I'm on my laptop so I hope I remember correctly). Instrument= Yamaha. (No match of mod. no. in the popup so I selected NONE. IN/Out is 2i4 in/ 2i4 out. All midi channels 1-16 are selected,(blue), in and out. As to the driver for the DGX500 I haven't a clue. I assume I might be able to upgrade from YAMAHA site,(?). If I understand your explanation of track view ins & outs from PT's to the ezd mixer, Yes that is exactly how I am doing it. However, I am not using ezd to it's full potential yet until I learn more about it. I use the click & drag from the ezd song creator to the first stereo instr. trk. in PT's, (It shows up as a midi trk.), and create a loop for the length of the song. The remaining tracks are stereo audio tracks that match the ezd mixer.
That is all the info I can give you and I hope it's enough. I certainly appreciate you coming to my rescue on this. My main confusion is that I successfully finished a song prior to the one I'm working on now but with different track view ins & outs in Pro tools and it worked!
it was a combination of MIDI and instrument tracks that I saw in a YOU tube video. I just need help knowing which method works for me and my equipment and it appears I'm on the right track. Thanks and looking forward to your assistance.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:46 AM

OK. I can take a hint! I know that I can be a PITA and I'm trying not to be thin skinned over this but it's becoming obvious that I'm being ignored! All I am asking is an answer to the question/problem I'm experiencing expressed in my original post but if it's too much effort then just forget it! I'm not going to quit!
Old 08-21-2014, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
My Yamaha keyboard,(DGX500) has stopped communicating with PT's 9 and I have exhausted all efforts in setting up MIDI STUDIO correctly!
Not shure if this is any help but I remember having troubles with instrument tracks losing contact with my midi controller in PT9. After a while I found that I could reconnect in a panel that I had never used before: that's the "Instrument" panel, only in the edit window, not mixer. Make it visible just like you would plugins, sends, I/O and so on, and select your controller there. IHTH.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:05 PM

You're not being ignored, Terry. I have a ton of work so I don't get on here every day(patience is a virtue). Since you connected with midi cables, there is no driver needed for the Yamaha. I know this is grasping at straws, but...have you tried swapping the midi cables at one end only?(you wouldn't be the first to cross-patch, believe me)

As a test of your midi, pull up any session(even a blank one) and add a single stereo instrument track. Insert MiniGrand in the top slot(Slot A). Hit the record button on the track and play your keyboard. If you hear piano(assuming MiniGrand had time to load), then you know you have midi coming in. If not, then you can be reasonably certain the problem lies either outside of PT(maybe the Focusrite driver needs an update?), or double-check the settings in Midi Studio(which, by your description, sounds correct).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-22-2014, 04:54 AM

Thanks albee. I didn't mean to be pushy and I realize that my priorities are not necessarily yours. It seems the older I get time becomes more of an issue. Anyway, Yes I'm sure that the MIDI cables are inserted correctly on both ends. Out from the DG500 to in on the 2i4. Out from the 2i4 to in on the DG500. I'll try your midi grand test but I don't see what the difference would be as opposed to the ezd on the instrument track insert. Right now I guess anything is a possibility! Could this have anything to do with the DG500 being in the on or off mode as to the local setting? I know I've tried both. On and the Yamaha outputs audio and I can record it that way but that's not the ezd sounds. I'll try updating the 2i4 driver as I understand there is a more recent one available. Again thanks and I'll let you know what, if any of these fixes work.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:59 AM

Thanks Ben Jenssen but I'm not quite following your meaning. How do I access this "panel" you refer to? I understand that it is somewhere on the EDIT screen but that's as far as I follow! If you might be a bit more descriptive I'd appreciate it. Thanks.