Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-30-2014, 04:56 PM

Default PT crashes with audio suite all the time...why?

I have 6 X 5.1 stems 90 minutes each on my session (master, M&E, DX, SFX, Music, LtRt). I need to drop the volume of all stems equally by 1.5 db, I select all stems use the digi gain plugin and dial -1.5 db an click render. PT gets stuck on beach ball every single time, I have to re-start PT... why! So instead of using the PT gain plugin, I try the CEDAR adaptive limiter (threshold set at 0dB, so there is no limiting, ceiling output set -1.5 db). PT gets beach ball every time, it makes no difference. Why is it that PT can not handle 6 X 5.1 stems, 90 minute each at one time for gain processing? I have to process each stem separately one at the time, which means I can not batch process all stems at once overnight. This is supposed to be 64bit and this kind of problems should not exists.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:02 PM

Question Re: PT crashes with audio suite all the tieme...why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnoil View Post
This is supposed to be 64bit and this kind of problems should not exists.
You are using v11?
Old 05-30-2014, 05:11 PM

Default Re: PT crashes with audio suite all the tieme...why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Technician View Post
You are using v11?
Yes, PT 11.1.2 (I am about to upgrade to PT 11.1.3) but this has been happening since PT 11, I think it happened with PT 10 but that was 32 bit. So as we speak I am struggling to get this done, because once PT gets bogged down with this processing I have to re-boot the computer from cold...it is a real time waste.

My system: Mac tower 8 core, 2.26 Ghz, 12 RAM, separate audio, video, and systems drive. Only approved plugins and hardware but that does not mean much because the BM card is approved and endorsed by Avid and it is a big problem.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:30 PM

Default Re: PT crashes with audio suite all the time...why?

wow, i hope none of those tracks needs to be accurately locked...i've seen drift-y kinds of things, man i don't trust those plugins for bit accuracy at all.....
Old 05-31-2014, 02:53 AM

Hi George

not that it solves your audio suite problem, but adjust the clip gain of each stem. and then render the clip gain of each stem

Do you own Nugen's LM correct? that works very nicely

On the audio suite front, does it crash if you do them one by one? or only when you select the lot. If the behaviour is different that could give a clue. Maybe not enough ram?

Are all audiosuite processes causing a crash?

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com

Last edited by MIKEROPHONICS; 05-31-2014 at 02:54 AM. Reason: snese
Old 05-31-2014, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEROPHONICS View Post
Hi George

not that it solves your audio suite problem, but adjust the clip gain of each stem. and then render the clip gain of each stem

Do you own Nugen's LM correct? that works very nicely

On the audio suite front, does it crash if you do them one by one? or only when you select the lot. If the behaviour is different that could give a clue. Maybe not enough ram?

Are all audiosuite processes causing a crash?
No I don't have Nugen's LT (I should get that I think). I have Nugen's limiter and CEDAR's adaptive limiter but they seem to take too much CPU so I can not put them on my aux send stems prior to re-record (my sessions are very large and machine is running at max cpu capacity). As you suggest it may be not enough RAM. I tried the clip gain doing all of them at once, same problem. The I tried one by one, works better but still slow. I think what is happening is that I only have about 35 gigs free on my audio drive but it is a 3 terabite drive (that is not enough free space on a drive it is just above 10%) and may be it takes long because it is searching for free space on the drive to write the files in. I'll get a new drive today and see if it helps.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:20 AM

Post Re: PT crashes with audio suite all the time...why?

Quote:
I think what is happening is that I only have about 35 gigs free on my audio drive but it is a 3 terabite drive (that is not enough free space on a drive it is just above 10%) and may be it takes long because it is searching for free space on the drive to write the files in. I'll get a new drive today and see if it helps.
Ideally, you want 20% of the drive's total capacity to be free. Anything less than that is an invitation for issues.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Technician View Post
Ideally, you want 20% of the drive's total capacity to be free. Anything less than that is an invitation for issues.

I thought it was 10% free but I agree. This appears to be 2 problems that so far are on my end of things and perhaps not with Pro-Tools. Number 1) Drive too full so PT has to search for free space to write new sound. Also, if my drives shows 30gigz free, that is before I audiosuite these files. Therefore once the audio suite files get written to the drive, the drive may become too full leaving just a couple of gigs fee (these files are all 5/1 stems and there are 6 of them X 90 minutes), Number 2) My drive is attached to a chain of 4 Lacie's firewires but...just noticed that on of the drives on the chain (although I am not using this drive at the moment) has dismounted itself from the computer. This drive appears to have died or lat least its power supply. I am pretty sure that a 'dead' drive on the chain can affect the performance of the other drives (I removed the drive from the chain and I am going to try to fix it later). So...it seems that it is my system that is the problem. I am on my way to buy a new drive and see if in fact that was the problem. Thanks again for all your input and help.
G
Old 05-31-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
I think what is happening is that I only have about 35 gigs free on my audio drive but it is a 3 terabite drive (that is not enough free space on a drive it is just above 10%) and may be it takes long because it is searching for free space on the drive to write the files in.
Actually, that's about ONE percent free space. No wonder you are having problems.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Actually, that's about ONE percent free space. No wonder you are having problems.
yup! agree