Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 05-02-2014, 12:04 PM

Default Press Alt Key BEFORE or no copy

Hi everyone! Maybe someone knows why:
When I want to copy/duplicate a Clip in the Edit Window, I have to hold down the Alt Key BEFORE I grab the Clip, otherwise it doesn't copy it. When I copy a Midi Note in the Midi Editor, It doesn't matter if I hold down the alt key before selecting the note or while dragging it. The note gets copied/duplicated either way.
It's a small issue, but coming from Logic where the alt key copy function behaves the same way regardless of where you copy, I find myself moving clips instead of copying them alot when working in the Edit Window.
My Question:
- is there a reason for this behaviour?
- is it a bug?
- can it be fixed?
Thanks!
Old 05-02-2014, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Press Alt Key BEFORE or no copy

Hi,
I wonder the same but it could be how Digidesign used Sibelius to implement notation although it is really an afterthought with no lyric ability. I wasn't on Pro Tools when they started midi support but it was probably imported from another program or based on another program. Maybe the commands are from the other program. I can't stand how PT deletes notes that don't quite make the selection start when copying and pasting. It should be an option at least.
DC
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinstar View Post
Hi everyone! Maybe someone knows why:
When I want to copy/duplicate a Clip in the Edit Window, I have to hold down the Alt Key BEFORE I grab the Clip, otherwise it doesn't copy it. When I copy a Midi Note in the Midi Editor, It doesn't matter if I hold down the alt key before selecting the note or while dragging it. The note gets copied/duplicated either way.
It's a small issue, but coming from Logic where the alt key copy function behaves the same way regardless of where you copy, I find myself moving clips instead of copying them alot when working in the Edit Window.
My Question:
- is there a reason for this behaviour?
- is it a bug?
- can it be fixed?
Thanks!
My questions: what PT version, what operating system is this happening on? When I want to copy a clip in the Edit window I just right click the clip and select Copy from the menu that comes up. Duplicate using the standard Duplicate function (cmd-D on a Mac) after selecting a clip without copying it first. All this on the system in my sig file.

QAPLA!
Old 05-03-2014, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybalm View Post
Hi,
I wonder the same but it could be how Digidesign used Sibelius to implement notation although it is really an afterthought with no lyric ability. I wasn't on Pro Tools when they started midi support but it was probably imported from another program or based on another program. Maybe the commands are from the other program. I can't stand how PT deletes notes that don't quite make the selection start when copying and pasting. It should be an option at least.
DC
It used to bother me that PT did what you mention about notes that start before a selection not being included in a selection but I came up with two things to remedy that. First is I make a slightly longer selection than I need and then delete any extra notes in the MIDI event list. And the second is because of the previous remedy I don't let it bother me any more.

What would be a great fix for this would be if one could make selections in the MIDI event list that would reflect in the other windows. I mean if a selection is made in a MIDI track in the Edit or MIDI Editor window and you do something like 'mute clips' it shows as greyed out in the MIDI event list. We can do line by line edits in the event list now; if we could select multiple lines in the event list and have that reflect in a MIDI track in the Edit (or MIDI Editor) window and do operations on that selection like we can in those windows working as things are now that would make for a more exact selection/workflow.

QAPLA!
Old 05-05-2014, 05:15 PM

hi musicman 691! i know there are different approaches how to copy and duplicate. i am talking about the systemwide used function where you grab something and create a duplicate of it when you move it while pressing the "alt" key on the keyboard. it irritates me that while it is common in the Finder (or in Logic and Office) that you can Press the alt Key whenever you want, Pro Tools 11.1.3/Mac OS 10.9.2 requires you to press the alt key BEFORE you grab and move something, otherwise no Duplicate is created. The funny thing and the reason why I write this Post is that in the Midi Editor Window, Pro Tools is not a alt Diva and Copies/Duplicates Midi Notes even if you press the "alt" Key after you grab something and start moving it, just like Finder/Office/Logic. Check it out for yourself!
Old 05-05-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
hi musicman 691! i know there are different approaches how to copy and duplicate. i am talking about the systemwide used function where you grab something and create a duplicate of it when you move it while pressing the "alt" key on the keyboard. it irritates me that while it is common in the Finder (or in Logic and Office) that you can Press the alt Key whenever you want, Pro Tools 11.1.3/Mac OS 10.9.2 requires you to press the alt key BEFORE you grab and move something, otherwise no Duplicate is created. The funny thing and the reason why I write this Post is that in the Midi Editor Window, Pro Tools is not a alt Diva and Copies/Duplicates Midi Notes even if you press the "alt" Key after you grab something and start moving it, just like Finder/Office/Logic. Check it out for yourself!
Thanks but no thanks - I have no reason to change the way I work for creating duplicates. Besides cmd-D on a Mac IS a system wide function for duplicating something. You can't expect PT to do everything like the operating system would.

QAPLA!
Old 05-05-2014, 05:57 PM

i'm not expecting this and i'm not trying to change your workflow. i am simply asking if there is a reason why PT behaves differently in Edit Window vs Midi Editor Window regarding the "alt to duplicate" function.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:26 AM

Quote:
i'm not expecting this and i'm not trying to change your workflow. i am simply asking if there is a reason why PT behaves differently in Edit Window vs Midi Editor Window regarding the "alt to duplicate" function.
You probably won't get an answer on this because I doubt anyone uses the 'alt to duplicate' function but just normal PT functions which in the case of duplicating ARE system wide functions. In your case you have to use two hands - you have to hold down the alt key while clicking and dragging where as cmd-D you click the clip, it duplicates, and then you can drag it anywhere. Much easier that way.

QAPLA!
Old 05-09-2014, 12:39 PM

How do you do it when you copy inserts or plugins? i hold down the alt key and grab the plugin/send and move it and it's important to hold alt down before you grab. but not so in the midi editor (as said before). why this difference?
Old 05-09-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
How do you do it when you copy inserts or plugins? i hold down the alt key and grab the plugin/send and move it and it's important to hold alt down before you grab. but not so in the midi editor (as said before). why this difference?
Don't know why, but MIX window and EDIT window are two different tools and you need to have two different mindsets to master them both. Maybe that's why.