Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-14-2014, 08:55 AM

Default Solo/Mute Issues?

I opened a recent project I was working on the other day, only to find some strange behavior all of a sudden with the soloing and muting tracks. I have certain tracks grouped together as mix groups in order to solo them with a click of the mouse. (I would actually prefer not to have to use track grouping to solo tracks, but soloing an Aux track does not solo it’s slave tracks like any other program on the market does) Only link solo is selected for the grouped tracks, mute is not selected. However, opening the session the other day, clicking on mute all of a sudden mutes all grouped tracks, even though the feature is not selected in Groups dialog box. Also, using the shortcut Shift+S for soloing only selected tracks is also soloing all tracks in the group. Not only was the project not working like this the day before, but I tried it on the original template as well as a brand new project and neither are working like this. Shift+S should only solo the tracks currently selected, regardless of if they are in a group or not.

It seems that something must be corrupted with the session itself to cause such behavior due to the fact that any other project I open or create from scratch seems to work correctly. The only problem I’m having with this is that Pro Tools shortcuts are based on the program itself, not on a project to project basis. Even is there was some kind of corruption with an individual project, how would this effect how Pro Tools’ shortcuts work. I tried trashing the preferences with no luck, however, if the problem only lies with an individual project, then none of the programs’ preferences should make a difference either.

Again, as I stated above, you should be able to solo any slave tracks running to an Aux track simply by clicking on the Aux track’s solo button, just like muting slave tracks works by clicking on the Aux track’s mute button. (And this has nothing to do with putting an Aux track in solo safe mode). This is the way any other DAW on the market works. Otherwise, what’s the purpose of having a solo button on Aux tracks in the first place?

Mac Pro Desktop
OSX 10.8.5
Pro Tools 11.2
Old 10-14-2014, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Solo/Mute Issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmm08 View Post
you should be able to solo any slave tracks running to an Aux track simply by clicking on the Aux track’s solo button, just like muting slave tracks works by clicking on the Aux track’s mute button.
Don't you just want to solo-safe the tracks running to that aux?
Maybe I'm missing something here.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:18 PM

Actually, that's the last thing I want to do is solo-safe all tracks running to the Aux track, otherwise, these tracks would always be playing regardless of waht was soloed in the session or not. Although, of course, this is getting a bit off the main subject of the solo/mute buttons and corresponding shortcuts not working properly in the project as they do in other projects. Again, these functions and shortcuts should work the same for all projects you work on since you can't program your own shortcuts in Pro Tools.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Actually, that's the last thing I want to do is solo-safe all tracks running to the Aux track, otherwise, these tracks would always be playing regardless of waht was soloed in the session or not. Although, of course, this is getting a bit off the main subject of the solo/mute buttons and corresponding shortcuts not working properly in the project as they do in other projects. Again, these functions and shortcuts should work the same for all projects you work on since you can't program your own shortcuts in Pro Tools.
Sorry I can't help with the problem you have with the session.
But I always found that I have two choices with the solo-safe and bussing to aux thing: Either I solo-safe the tracks and not the aux, or the other way around. F.ex. while working on a drum set I would solo-safe the aux to be able to quickly solo one drum mic. When I'm happy with the drums I will typically switch to solo-safe the individual drums to be able to quickly solo the whole drum set.
I hope someone else here can help you.
Quote:
Actually, that's the last thing I want to do is solo-safe all tracks running to the Aux track, otherwise, these tracks would always be playing regardless of waht was soloed in the session or not.
Of course only if the aux is soloed and not solo-safed.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:37 PM

kmm-
1. Make a mew blank session then import data all the tracks/channels from your
old session.

2. Set up AFL soloing & life will be easier.

~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 10-16-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priorytools View Post
kmm-
1. Make a mew blank session then import data all the tracks/channels from your
old session.
2. Set up AFL soloing & life will be easier.
AFL/PFL is HD only, I think. Look here:
Old DUC thread

And why would you have to create a new session?
Old 10-16-2014, 10:45 PM

An yes. Of course. AFL /PFL is HD only … my apologies.

Why create a new session ? … because it appears kmm's session in question is corrupted.
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~