Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 09-10-2014, 05:40 AM

Default Let's cut the BONK!

Good morning. I am using ez drummer 2 with some success now and I'm increasingly happy with the results but I have a question. To my knowledge the plug in has no way to eq the drum sounds other than head tension and reverb which are built in to the program. The kick sounds great but the snare has an irritating "bonk" sound that sounds like a marching drum. I prefer a lower and more "old school" snare sound. I've tried every eq available in Pro Tools 9, high pass, low pass and 7 band which has a preset called "cut bonk" and none remove the frequency that troubles me. Also, and this is just my opinion, they should have an edition that is more suited for commercial Rock and roll which doesn't need all the intros, outros and grand stand drummer stuff! just a suggestion. Thanks and pre thanks to anyone who can cut the "bonk".
Old 09-10-2014, 08:08 AM

Default Re: Let's cut the BONK!

Which kit are you using in EZD2 and which snare? (FWIW I would say the 8X14 Vinnie Paul Signature has less 'bonk') Could you give an example of a track that has the snare sound you like on it?

For meat and potatoes rock grooves in EZD MIDI Expansion format, look at Basic Rock, Basic Rock Fills and the Rock Warehouse MIDI. When I want straight ahead no frills playing (and I'm too lazy to do it myself) these are the packs I go to.
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 09-10-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
I've tried every eq available in Pro Tools 9, high pass, low pass and 7 band which has a preset called "cut bonk" and none remove the frequency that troubles me.
Are you familiar with the "boost first to cut later" technique? Make a sharp (high-Q) mid-frequency filter that you boost alot - then drag it up and down the freq spectrum until you find the "bonk". Then you just make it cut instead of boost. Simple but amazingly effective technique in this kind of situation.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Are you familiar with the "boost first to cut later" technique? Make a sharp (high-Q) mid-frequency filter that you boost alot - then drag it up and down the freq spectrum until you find the "bonk". Then you just make it cut instead of boost. Simple but amazingly effective technique in this kind of situation.
Yes, this works really well. The frequency of the bonk will be easily found. A very narrow Q pulled back at that frequency will make it go away!

Old 09-10-2014, 06:58 PM

If I'm not thrilled with the results from the EQ, I'll use a multi-band compressor to control unwanted noises sometimes from EZD2 channels.

Sometimes I'll use a gate to lower tom ringing, but I prefer to manually fade the tom hits if here are not a ton to do.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:58 AM

Thanks bradch00, Ben Jenssen, DonaldM and PatriotsBiker for all the helpful suggestions. I'm sort of familiar with the "boost first to cut later" method but I have not used narrow Q part. I'll be sure to try it. As to my personal preferences on snare sounds, it all depends on the song. Some of the blues recordings I like sounded like the drummer was just beating on a suitcase! It fit and that's what matters! I like modern Rock recordings, where the drums sound more natural such as the Beatles and the Hollies, (possibly not what everyone would consider modern), but even on these recordings the drums don't sound like Gene Cruppa. (No offense you big band fans and I hope I spelled his name correctly). In other words the end result comes down to, does it sound like every thing belongs? I haven't heard a recording in the last five years that I like! Sorry to sound so close minded but that's just me.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:09 AM

You may want to consider adding this to your EZDrummer 2 configuration:
http://www.toontrack.com/product/vintage-rock-ezx/
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 09-11-2014, 08:54 AM

Terry, keep in mind that many of the drum sounds in these programs are intended to be a modern sound. If you're looking for older sounds, Bradch00 had a good suggestion. You might also look into some of the Abbey Road series from Native Instruments. It's very difficult to use just a couple of kits and try to force them to work with every style of music.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:52 AM

Thanks again bradch00 & nst7. I'll certainly look in to the vintage Ludwig kit when I can afford it. I especially like the brushes addition which is not included in ez2. Brushes are essential to Rock a Billy music, my favorite style.