Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 07-08-2014, 05:03 PM

Default Re: New Mic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Not to be critical, but I don't know if a $300 mic is going to be enough of an upgrade if you already have a $100-150 mic. If you're coming from an SM57 or something, then yeah. But you may want to aim a little higher pricewise to make it worth your while.

In the $500-750 range is where you really start to get some bang for buck. The Shure KSM series, the Mojave stuff, the Neumann TLM102, and so on.

You can use a 15% off coupon from Guitar Center, Musicians Friend, Music 123, to bring down the price somewhat on most of these.
It would be an upgrade from the Samson CO1 I currently have.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:04 PM

Thx for all the responses....keep'um coming!
Old 07-08-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre2580 View Post
It would be an upgrade from the Samson CO1 I currently have.
In that case, like I said, I just don't know if going to a $300 mic is going to be dramatic enough to make it worth it.

But maybe someone who's done it can chime in here.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:26 PM

I know I sound like an MXL fanboy, but here's my tale of the V89. Couple of years ago I had a V-69ME with a Mullard NOS tube and a Nuemann TLM-49 as my "go to" vocal mics and saw the ads for the new GENESIS mic and was curious. NAMM rolled around and I went and hit the MXL booth to check the GENESIS out(they had a bunch of mics plugged into a vintage baby Trident with headphones hooked up). I listened to the Genesis and thought it sounded fine, but didn't feel like it was worth double the V-69(or more) and was about to walk away when I noticed the V-89 so I asked to hear it. The rep pushed 2 buttons to put the V-89 in the phones and I said about 3 words into it and stopped dead in my tracks and said, "WHOA! Can I get one of these to demo in my studio for a week or two?" The rep hooked me up the following week with both the GENESIS and the V-89. After 2 weeks, I wanted them both but funds forced me to choose the V-89(as did my neighbor after he tried it against his Groove Tubes mic). The CR-89 is the same mic with a new look I had the NT1-A and it was an okay mic(not as good to my ears as the MXL). I sent it to Michael Joly for his "U87" mod and it came back an EXCELLENT mic(but the cost of the mic and mod put it out of your budget). I know all about "opinions" so take my statement as just that

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-09-2014, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I know I sound like an MXL fanboy, but here's my tale of the V89. Couple of years ago I had a V-69ME with a Mullard NOS tube and a Nuemann TLM-49 as my "go to" vocal mics and saw the ads for the new GENESIS mic and was curious. NAMM rolled around and I went and hit the MXL booth to check the GENESIS out(they had a bunch of mics plugged into a vintage baby Trident with headphones hooked up). I listened to the Genesis and thought it sounded fine, but didn't feel like it was worth double the V-69(or more) and was about to walk away when I noticed the V-89 so I asked to hear it. The rep pushed 2 buttons to put the V-89 in the phones and I said about 3 words into it and stopped dead in my tracks and said, "WHOA! Can I get one of these to demo in my studio for a week or two?" The rep hooked me up the following week with both the GENESIS and the V-89. After 2 weeks, I wanted them both but funds forced me to choose the V-89(as did my neighbor after he tried it against his Groove Tubes mic). The CR-89 is the same mic with a new look I had the NT1-A and it was an okay mic(not as good to my ears as the MXL). I sent it to Michael Joly for his "U87" mod and it came back an EXCELLENT mic(but the cost of the mic and mod put it out of your budget). I know all about "opinions" so take my statement as just that
Thx for that story. My boy bought a MXL Genesis used, unfortunately when we hooked it up it sounded scratchy. Not sure why yet. He's bringing it to my studio this weekend to try it here.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:15 AM

Default New Mic

I appreciate all the reply's. But let me be clear my budget is $300, I might be able to push it to $400. But for now it is what it is. I mainly mix music that is brought to me. Sometimes the vocals are not very good. So instead of waiting for the artist to go back and redo them. I just want decent mic here that we can re-record on the spot. I know a good mic means less you have to fix in the mix. But a bad mic is a bad mic an I don't care how you mix it . All you end up with is well mixed "crap"!
Old 07-09-2014, 04:27 AM

Right now I'm leaning toward the Rode NT1a or MXL CR89
Old 07-09-2014, 08:33 AM

If you can stretch the budget, a Rode NT1000 would be a step up from the NT1-A.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 07-09-2014, 08:36 AM

I can highly recommend Studio Projects C1
A very nice all-round cardioid LDC. I have two. And I also owned a Røde NT1, and it is a feable excuse for a microphone compared to the C1. I think you can get it for around 250$.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre2580 View Post
I appreciate all the reply's. But let me be clear my budget is $300, I might be able to push it to $400. But for now it is what it is. I mainly mix music that is brought to me. Sometimes the vocals are not very good. So instead of waiting for the artist to go back and redo them. I just want decent mic here that we can re-record on the spot. I know a good mic means less you have to fix in the mix. But a bad mic is a bad mic an I don't care how you mix it . All you end up with is well mixed "crap"!
If you truly can push to $400 go for the AKG C214.

Something not talked about is what is your input chain like? If audio interface isn't up to snuff then you're just wasting money on another mic.

QAPLA!